IGNORED

Andy Murray

Super

Really feel for him. Britain's greatest ever tennis player and a true legend of the sport, who, if he was playing twenty years ago would have ten grand slams to his name. 

With norrie reaching his first atp final this morning the baton really had passed on to the next generation 

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nothing but respect and admiration for the guy. I am a big fan but tennis is nothing compared to getting that hip sorted for the rest of his life.

Good luck to him.

I read somewhere that he has trouble putting a sock on. Just hope he can make it through to Wimbledon where he can get the farewell he deserves. Have my doubts though.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Plans to retire after Wimbledon but says it could be after the Aussie Open. That interview was a tough watch.

It is hard to watch. He’s very emotional and that’s a never comfortable thing to witness.

I wonder what the type of injury his hip is - if it’s causing so much pain that suggests it’s skeletal rather than muscular.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It is hard to watch. He’s very emotional and that’s a never comfortable thing to witness.

I wonder what the type of injury his hip is - if it’s causing so much pain that suggests it’s skeletal rather than muscular.

BBC article would suggest the same.

The pain is too much really," said Murray, who is also a two-time Olympic champion. "I need to have an end point because I'm playing with no idea of when the pain will stop.

"I'd like to play until Wimbledon - that's where I'd like to stop playing - but I'm not certain I'm able to do that.

"I have the option of another operation which is a little bit more severe - and involves having my hip resurfaced - which would allow me to have a better quality of life and be free of pain.

"That's something I'm seriously considering now. Some athletes have had it and gone back to competing but there's no guarantee of that.

"If I had it, it would be to have a better quality of life."

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Anyone else have a feeling he will retire injured next week and then call it a day?

Will be a sad end to his career, personally think he should have bowed out already from listening to him

Sadly that is looking likely. This slam is one of the hardest anyway with the temperatures (36) on Monday apparently.

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Anyone else have a feeling he will retire injured next week and then call it a day?

Will be a sad end to his career, personally think he should have bowed out already from listening to him

I think so. He’s already made the step of facing the media and letting the world know. I think the reality is sinking in now and it will become ‘fact’ more than ‘maybe’. Nothing would be sadder than him struggling around the courts at Wimbledon and getting thrashed. Bow out gracefully now Andy.

Not being harsh, but it’s somebody else’s turn now. He has had a fantastic run and I’m sure the lifestyle that has come with it, but it is gruelling. Rest up, take a step back and start enjoying your family and travel. He must have heaps of options open to him, more so than anyone who gets made redundant or has to retire through ill health or injury in the ‘real world’.  As that is what it is, he cannot work due to injury.

On the BBC this morning when they were breaking the news they were saying Boris Becker had recently been in for an interview, he has ankle problems and he could hardly walk. It’s sad when sportsmen and women end up that way, they push their bodies so hard as they are so driven at the time, but they certainly pay for it later. I’m not sure if they are always given good advice though, but at the time they just can’t see it or the option to question it isn’t possible. 

2 hours ago, Paul Turnip said:

What did he say??

Just saying he couldn't understand him being in tears in his interview and basically saying you have had a good career now get on with your life. Pretty disrespectful. Good to hear Durham and Gough now talking about him with a lot of respect.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Just saying he couldn't understand him being in tears in his interview and basically saying you have had a good career now get on with your life. Pretty disrespectful. Good to hear Durham and Gough now talking about him with a lot of respect.

Brazil was right tho mate tbh,he never disrespected him as you are saying he was just saying get on with your life because he knows how much tennis players put in and has always said they are the fittest sportsmen alive

49 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Brazil was right tho mate tbh,he never disrespected him as you are saying he was just saying get on with your life because he knows how much tennis players put in and has always said they are the fittest sportsmen alive

It wasnt just that he was slaughtering for him for his emotional interview. 

40 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Which is his right,Brazil is a man who’s football life was cut short at around 26 through injury and he didn’t cry about it but got on with it which is why you will get that opinion from him

Nothing wrong with crying. He is a moron thinking otherwise.

I'm absolutely gutted.

Only saw him once play in the flesh and that was in the Davis Cup versus Argentina in Glasgow. What. A. Player. 

I've seen Nadal and Federer live too at Wimbledon and the French and Murray was easily on their level. Not only that, he was an absolute joy to watch. 

Yeah OK,  he had a tendency to be dull in interviews, but his tennis was anything but. There wasn't a shot he couldn't play. A seriously, seriously talented player.

His hips are now the issue but not many people will know that it was his ankle that has caused him constant pain throughout his career. 

He's an absolute warrior who has led the most amazing of lives, and in my humble opinion, the greatest British sportsman of his generation. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm absolutely gutted.

Only saw him once play in the flesh and that was in the Davis Cup versus Argentina in Glasgow. What. A. Player. 

I've seen Nadal and Federer live too at Wimbledon and the French and Murray was easily on their level. Not only that, he was an absolute joy to watch. 

Yeah OK,  he had a tendency to be dull in interviews, but his tennis was anything but. There wasn't a shot he couldn't play. A seriously, seriously talented player.

His hips are now the issue but not many people will know that it was his ankle that has caused him constant pain throughout his career. 

He's an absolute warrior who has led the most amazing of lives, and in my humble opinion, the greatest British sportsman of his generation. 

Honest question,why has he led the most amazing of lives ?

I watched Murray live on Centre Court in the Qtr final the year he first won and ask at the US Open, a real privilege to watch one of the worlds greatest tennis players.  If you have never seen Tennis live then you have no idea how good even the lowest ranked players are, it’s mind blowing!

The vitriol he gets from some though is rediculous.  Tennis is a very hard game to get to the top of due to the seedlings and rankings, and he did that and won 3 majors.  I think people look at Federer and see 20 majors or whatever and then Murray’s 3 and say Murray underachieved or was overrated, but that’s not only massively underestimating the achievement of winning 3 majors, but comparing Murray to possibly the greatest ever.

i think Murray’s other downfall was being around in this digital/media driven world.  He’s clearly not interested in playing the media game, is only interested in tennis, and therefore comes across as miserable. I reckon once retired a different side will be seen.

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I watched Murray live on Centre Court in the Qtr final the year he first won and ask at the US Open, a real privilege to watch one of the worlds greatest tennis players.  If you have never seen Tennis live then you have no idea how good even the lowest ranked players are, it’s mind blowing!

The vitriol he gets from some though is rediculous.  Tennis is a very hard game to get to the top of due to the seedlings and rankings, and he did that and won 3 majors.  I think people look at Federer and see 20 majors or whatever and then Murray’s 3 and say Murray underachieved or was overrated, but that’s not only massively underestimating the achievement of winning 3 majors, but comparing Murray to possibly the greatest ever.

i think Murray’s other downfall was being around in this digital/media driven world.  He’s clearly not interested in playing the media game, is only interested in tennis, and therefore comes across as miserable. I reckon once retired a different side will be seen.

Totally agree with this. Whilst in any era Murray would clearly have been up against the dominant player(s) of the time, he has been somewhat unlucky to been playing in a generation that includes 3 players with 51 grand slam titles, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd= on the all-time list.

It is hard to over-estimate just how much this lot have wrapped things up:

887830330_Screenshot2019-01-12at05_42_59.thumb.png.d7737d977cff27e11b5d64b88a6c33b8.png

38 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Totally agree with this. Whilst in any era Murray would clearly have been up against the dominant player(s) of the time, he has been somewhat unlucky to been playing in a generation that includes 3 players with 51 grand slam titles, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd= on the all-time list.

It is hard to over-estimate just how much this lot have wrapped things up:

887830330_Screenshot2019-01-12at05_42_59.thumb.png.d7737d977cff27e11b5d64b88a6c33b8.png

Unreal stats

Archived