IGNORED

Aitor Karanka

Super

Something weird about the whole situation, his jobs been on the line for months which is odd considering they’re not doing too badly. 

I think Forest thought they’d be the Wolves mk2 as they’ve basically copied everything Wolves done last year including getting Mendes on board, the Portuguese ‘super agent’.

”A former agent of manager Aitor Karanka, Mendes has helped the Reds clinch the impressive signings of Benfica duo Joao Carvalho and Diogo Goncalves along with Saturday night's arrival of Portuguese winger Gil Dias from French outfit AS Monaco.”

1 minute ago, Unan said:

Something weird about the whole situation, his jobs been on the line for months which is odd considering they’re not doing too badly. 

I think Forest thought they’d be the Wolves mk2 as they’ve basically copied everything Wolves done last year including getting Mendes on board, the Portuguese ‘super agent’.

I wonder if Mendes’ influence on incoming signings this window has upset the Apple cart..?

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Very odd..! I wonder what’s happened there..?

Maybe been tapped up by another club and needed to be available..?

Don’t think so, he has been under pressure from the owner for a good few weeks now.

The owner previously owned, may still have an interest in Olmpiacus and expected the same dominance from Forest.

Talk of ‘losing the dressing’  etc.

He had a bit of an odd period when he was managing Boro - again, allegedly falling out with the players.

33 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It was rumoured for a while that the owners were expecting a lot more from Forest this season than they were getting. Sure it was before their last league game (Derby maybe?) the commentary team were speculating that it was a must win for them.

Yes it was before the Leeds game and they ended up winning 4-2.

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Forest fans on the radio saying about the owner poking his nose in too much and Karanka not putting up with it. 

Sounds feasible and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, probably the most likely explanation. He’s a decent manager in my view who has not always been given a fair crack of the whip at his previous clubs. Don’t blame him for walking if it’s true. Very hard to build something with an interfering owner breathing down your neck who thinks you can simply buy the Championship title.

As for Forest, that’ll make it 11 managers in about seven and a half years. Bonkers, but as a City fan I regard it as good news, on balance, because that degree of instability weakens a close rival.

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

They expected to be in the top two at this stage, which with the money they spent in the summer is kind of understandable. 

The football has also not been great according to forest fans

The owner spent £25m and expected automatic promotion.

You could spend £50m in the Championship and still end up nowhere.

Basket club

It appears that the Forest owner has set clear, defined objectives.

• promotion thus season

From an evaluation point of view he expected Karanka’s team to occupy a play-off place at least.

He failed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/11/inside-story-aitor-karankas-downfall-nottingham-forest/amp/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw&__twitter_impression=true

It May seem harsh, it possibly is harsh.  But I also think that it shows clear objectives and how progress is tracked.  In Forest / Karanka’s case it was all about league position.

If we bring it back to City / LJ, I think his performance has several lenses, and that is why as fans we are unsure of where we sit.  As long as LJ > MA > SL are clear, that’s the main thing.  Of course as fans it would be nice if this was transparent. 

Also get the impression the style of play was to the owners liking. Karanka isn't usually known for expansive football and they definitely should be doing better in that respect IMO. I mean his football isn't terrible, just not that expansive either.

@myol'man Dunno about 'basket club' their owner though he may have some questionable expectations, is no mug. He got £7m for Ben Brereton which is good business. Under their prior owner they certainly were a basket club, but now wouldn't have thought so.

As much as we get frustrated with city and sometime criticize Lee Johnson, thank god we are a sensibly run club with some stability. The city players know that the club will back the manager and they don't wield the power. Forest haven't started and ended the season with the same manager since 2010. That is no way to run a club.

Archived