IGNORED

Semenyo

Crackers Corner

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I missed that interview then.

Johnson said the following in the pre-Bolton presser (source: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/full-bristol-city-transcript-lee-2415638):

"Question: Kasey Palmer has signed for Bristol City. How do you see him fitting in at Bristol City?

I see him fitting in centrally. I like him as a 10 or an 8, depending on which formation we play, including three in the middle.

It’s something we’ve looked at - the cost of top class strikers is extreme at the moment going around the place.

So we’ve tweaked the formation and it’s been very attacking still. We’ve talked about that 4-1-4-1 or the 4-2-3-1 that gets you a 10 in there, and we’ve got a lot of energy and pace wide.

We’ve been scoring goals and keeping clean sheets in recent weeks, which has been good, and we want to add a little bit of sparkle that we think Kasey can do."

Then in answer to another question he said:

"Question: Do you still want to bring in another '9 and a half' player or another striker? Or is that Kasey?

I think he [Palmer] can play that role. And it’s interesting if you make a direct comparison with Bobby Reid: there’s a lot, sharpness, power, how they handle the ball, how they move in behind...

It will be interesting to see if Kasey has that natural instinct to come short and spin like Bobby had.

That wasn’t natural with Bobby, we worked on it but Bobby took to it like a duck to water. It's something that we might play around with but his main purpose will be to play 8 or 10, attacking midfield [position].

And it's good now because we've got very different attributes in there, with Marlon Pack steady and assured and good in the build-up play, and with Browny busy but he can also play that deeper one and Pato who plays that 8 or 12 role as well, and who can also play well, so there's quite a lot of options and there's a lot of mobility in our midfield.

And that's what I think you need at this level."

8 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Don't forget Eisa was ripping it up in that league last year and (for whatever reason) he hasn't been able to step up.

Not everyone is Jamie Vardy or Ian Wright - we should be patient.

It is also important to note that Vardy didn't exactly take to the Championship like a duck to water when he first arrived at Leicester. That being said, I still feel like Mo should be given more of a chance in the first team; even if it's just to come on and tire out some defenders while gaining an understanding of what is required of him. Taylor isn't getting any younger nor is he getting any more prolific, so I think we should be looking to Eisa in these situations instead.

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pato who plays that 8 or 12 role as well, and who can also play well, so there's quite a lot of options and there's a lot of mobility in our midfield.

And that's what I think you need at this level."

Excuse my ignorance,  but what's a 12 ...?  

1 hour ago, Crackers Corner said:

Just reading about him and he is getting rave reviews all round also names as one of the hottest prospects in the efl, I'm guessing he can't be recalled otherwise it seems bizarre that we are looking for a striker when we have one on loan who just tore leicester defense apart?

But he didn't tear the Leicester defence apart did he - far from it.

He had a good game.

That's it.

Loads of ott reactions.

Wasn’t it Ashton who said we were close to signing a striker and not LJ, don’t think anyone would regard Palmer as a striker, attacking midfielder yes but never seen him used as a striker before? Saying that it never even crossed my mind the Reid could play that role, so what do I know! 

I still think we’ll sign another striker this window though.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

But he didn't tear the Leicester defence apart did he - far from it.

He had a good game.

That's it.

Loads of ott reactions.

I must admit to not seeing the full game but have gone by the media reports on the match, martin keown  rates him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6562903/Newport-ace-Antoine-Semenyo-star-making-plus-makes-team-round.html

He took on a Premier League- winning right back in Danny Simpson and gave him a torrid time. Such were the problems Semenyo caused him that Claude Puel took him off after an hour. 

I dont see see that as an ott reaction. We are looking for a striker and have one on loan who has lots of interest inc Man Utd.

Edit: on reflection tore apart was probably a poor choice of words.

8 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I must admit to not seeing the full game but have gone by the media reports on the match, martin keown  rates him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6562903/Newport-ace-Antoine-Semenyo-star-making-plus-makes-team-round.html

He took on a Premier League- winning right back in Danny Simpson and gave him a torrid time. Such were the problems Semenyo caused him that Claude Puel took him off after an hour. 

I dont see see that as an ott reaction. We are looking for a striker and have one on loan who has lots of interest inc Man Utd.

He did ok for an 18 year old.

It was a mature performance.

Good prospect, lots of potential - like a few others.

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I reckon he did ok....21 goals in his first 70 games in the championship after making the step up from Fleetwood....pretty ok...

He scored 5 in his first 29, which was not considered good enough given his fee. Plus, it was particularly poor for a striker that functioned best as a pure off-the-shoulder poacher. Numerous articles wrote about how he initially struggled to cope with his newfound wealth, profile and expectation set upon him. There was even a point where he wanted to quit football altogether following his first season at Leicester. It is easy to look at it from hindsight, but really he did not have the smoothest transition initially, which is why we need to be patient with Mo. I have left you some articles to prove everything that I have said despite the fact that the news section of the Independent is now like a left-wing version of the Daily Mail.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-used-to-turn-up-drunk-claims-leicester-vice-chairman-a7014666.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-nearly-quit-leicester-city-become-ibiza-party-rep-craig-shakespeare-a7665606.html

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10824212/craig-shakespeare-says-leicesters-jamie-vardy-once-had-to-be-talked-out-of-quitting-game

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not so sure we are looking at bringing in another striker. I think we will bring in a midfielder and that will be it.

Semenyo's loan is for the whole season I read. Newport said at the start of the window that he's there for the season, but Bakinson and Prings could be recalled. Obviously Bakinson is now confirmed to be staying on.

As I am sure others have already said there is a Jan call back option!

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Don't forget Eisa was ripping it up in that league last year and (for whatever reason) he hasn't been able to step up.

Not everyone is Jamie Vardy or Ian Wright - we should be patient.

He just gave Leicester a right hard time. Think he may have just stepped up!

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Corrected for you.

I would wager if you added up the minutes Mo has been allowed to play in a league game this season it would not add up to one game, how people are judging him on that is ridiculous, know we can be a bit harsh on here sometimes but that is taking it to a whole new level.

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

He scored 5 in his first 29, which was not considered good enough given his fee. Plus, it was particularly poor for a striker that functioned best as a pure off-the-shoulder poacher. Numerous articles wrote about how he initially struggled to cope with his newfound wealth, profile and expectation set upon him. There was even a point where he wanted to quit football altogether following his first season at Leicester. It is easy to look at it from hindsight, but really he did not have the smoothest transition initially, which is why we need to be patient with Mo. I have left you some articles to prove everything that I have said despite the fact that the news section of the Independent is now like a left-wing version of the Daily Mail.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-used-to-turn-up-drunk-claims-leicester-vice-chairman-a7014666.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-nearly-quit-leicester-city-become-ibiza-party-rep-craig-shakespeare-a7665606.html

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10824212/craig-shakespeare-says-leicesters-jamie-vardy-once-had-to-be-talked-out-of-quitting-game

To be fair, so would the diaries of a certain Genghis Khan....

Archived