IGNORED

Semenyo

Crackers Corner

14 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

Just reading about him and he is getting rave reviews all round also names as one of the hottest prospects in the efl, I'm guessing he can't be recalled otherwise it seems bizarre that we are looking for a striker when we have one on loan who just tore leicester defense apart?

If he was that good he’d be in our squad not playing for Newport County. Let’s see what he does playing against sides in league two before getting over excited. The championship is a massive step up from what he’s playing in a the moment. 

You have to remember, this was a one off game, players usually raise their games in these games.

The best thing for us and for him, is to resist the temptation to bring him back and to let him continue to learn his trade there.

If he is that good then he will be even better in the summer and will have a whole pre season to impress and earn his place in the team.

Don’t get this desperation to get Semenyo back 

My first proper sight of him really v Leicester and have to say I was really impressed in some of the signs / attributes , and he has every chance of making a very good player - cracking prospect

But he’s 18 , no professional or even decent amateur background, played 7 times for Bath City ( Which even then I thought an ask coming from college ) and 17 times for Newport in L2 to date

A grand total of 24 ‘competitive’ games

His rise in levels is Pretty a amazing for one so young , with his background ,  and all credit to him

But what’s the rush ? panic ? 

I would suggest he needs experience of the pro game and game time

Do we really think that he’s going to start over Kasey Palmer , Pato , AW etc , or even come off the bench ahead of them or others (Unless we are cruising a game with 10 mins to go) 

He is likely to benefit himself,  and us by getting games and many more minutes in a tough physical league

I think people underestimate the jump in standards and intensity in Championship

Wed all like to see him ripping up the Championship for us and  Semenyo looks to have the tools to make it there , at some point , but , when the time is right , the timing of development vital IMHO

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He is a raw talent who is being noticed by the Premier League scouts.

Whether he makes it higher up the leagues is guesswork at the moment.

What particularly impressed me , on that short look  CA ,was his balance and ,  his decision making / game awareness -  remarkable for one so young with virtually nil decent amateur let alone pro experience 

Playing the right pass at the right time, travelling with the ball at the right time etc

Looks a natural footballer, some of those things difficult to coach 

Also Flynn’s comments ........ strongest 18 yr old he’s ever seen , Can’t work out which foot is strongest

53 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My first proper sight of him really v Leicester and have to say I was really impressed in some of the signs / attributes , and he has every chance of making a very good player - cracking prospect

But he’s 18 , no professional or even decent amateur background, played 7 times for Bath City ( Which even then I thought an ask coming from college ) and 17 times for Newport in L2 to date

His rise in levels is Pretty a amazing for one so young , with his background ,  and all credit to him

Do we really think that he’s going to start over Kasey Palmer , Pato , AW etc , or even come off the bench ahead of them or others (Unless we are cruising a game with 10 mins to go) 

He is likely to benefit himself,  and us by getting games and many more minutes in a tough physical league

I think people underestimate the jump in standards and intensity in Championship

Wed all like to see him ripping up the Championship for us and  Semenyo looks to have the tools to make it there , at some point , but , when the time is right , the timing of development vital IMHO

I'm inclined to agree though I'm not sure we have got the balance right yet. Bielsa for instance is happy to throw the likes of Jack Clarke in at the deep end.

Bit of a no win for LJ though if fans want signings but want our young players brought through at the same time. A circle he can't square.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm inclined to agree though I'm not sure we have got the balance right yet. Bielsa for instance is happy to throw the likes of Jack Clarke in at the deep end.

Bit of a no win for LJ though if fans want signings but want our young players brought through at the same time. A circle he can't square.

Ha ha

Exactly what kept going through my mind as I’ve posted about Semenyo , Pearson this morning

Not just Clarke either - there’s a gang of them !

What Bielsa is doing is quite remarkable - and being brave enough to throw them in when you are going for promotion and have youngsters making significant contributions is unbelievably brave and....

Brilliant ...... his confidence and faith in his methods are remarkable 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, Vardy scored 5 in his first 29 games in the championship...then he scored 21 in his first 70 games in the championship....not too shabby given the step up from Fleetwood.....

I think the point is Newquay red said Vardy "didn't exactly take like a duck to water when he first arrived at Leicester."

By the 70th game at a club you haven't "just arrived"

I haven't checked his appearances per season, but going off what is plausible, I'd guess the 5 in 29 was his first season with Leceister, or "when he first arrived".

And that the 70 game mark is the end of either his second or third season, depending on whether he had a big injury- I don't think he did and I'd be inclined to say 2nd season.

So at first, "when he first arrived" he did struggle to make the step up. He did make the step up after the first season but not immediately.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ha ha

Exactly what kept going through my mind as I’ve posted about Semenyo , Pearson this morning

Not just Clarke either - there’s a gang of them !

What Bielsa is doing is quite remarkable - and being brave enough to throw them in when you are going for promotion and have youngsters making significant contributions is unbelievably brave and....

Brilliant ...... his confidence and faith in his methods are remarkable 

I think it's one of the strongest reasons for having an experienced manager. I'm sure Bielsa isn't particularly worried whether it works out at Leeds or not. That view along with his experience gives him the confidence to play some of the youngsters. Younger managers such as Johnson always have that fear that if it goes wrong their careers can be seriously dented. Takes an exceptional amount of confidence (or sometimes desperation) to give youngsters regular starting spots

• Admin
10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, Vardy scored 5 in his first 29 games in the championship...then he scored 21 in his first 70 games in the championship....not too shabby given the step up from Fleetwood.....

Worse record than Fam. I feel the need to point that out due to the pelters he continues to receive. 

5 minutes ago, KentRed said:

I think it's one of the strongest reasons for having an experienced manager. I'm sure Bielsa isn't particularly worried whether it works out at Leeds or not. That view along with his experience gives him the confidence to play some of the youngsters. Younger managers such as Johnson always have that fear that if it goes wrong their careers can be seriously dented. Takes an exceptional amount of confidence (or sometimes desperation) to give youngsters regular starting spots

One thing I found , is if you gave a good youngster , (with a decent attitude) a chance any mistakes they make were balanced against the fact they gave you desire, energy and would do exactly what you asked them to do (Which I found teamwise , so important)

( Much bigger and harder decision at these levels though! ) 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What particularly impressed me , on that short look  CA ,was his balance and ,  his decision making / game awareness -  remarkable for one so young with virtually nil decent amateur let alone pro experience 

Playing the right pass at the right time, travelling with the ball at the right time etc

Looks a natural footballer, some of those things difficult to coach 

Also Flynn’s comments ........ strongest 18 yr old he’s ever seen , Can’t work out which foot is strongest

Those were the bits I noticed.  At times he opened up the play by getting it into feet, and then went either way....and then didn’t stop to admire the pass.

What was his background in London, pre-SGS?

4 hours ago, KentRed said:

What bothers me about that is in bold. Caring more about their career than a young players growth or the club. I am not saying for LJ but managers in general. Maybe easy for me to say but I wouldn’t care about money or my reputation. If you do a good job in player development and at your club those things will pan out. Not every 18 year old is ready but there are a few doing well at various levels so suggests to me there are more not getting chances. 

Whilst I admit I have not seen much of this lad play, his stats suggest he is playing steady yet not tearing up L2. Leave this lad to have a full season of men's football; long term he is more likely to be better player for us if we let him steadily improve rather than chucking him in at Championship level potentially knocking his confidence if he is not ready for it yet. 

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, although Fam cost us more than five times what Leicester paid Fleetwood for Vardy....so we should have expected a certain standard from someone with that price tag...

We'll be sorry when Fam moves on - there are still hints that he has what it takes.

For example when he held the ball (back to goal) in the first half only to move the ball to his right and shoot.

OK it wasn't on target and he did miss a hat full but he has promise - It drives me nuts that we love to criticise him.

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, although Fam cost us more than five times what Leicester paid Fleetwood for Vardy....so we should have expected a certain standard from someone with that price tag...

I suggest the fees are not directly comparable given the rampant inflation in transfer fees in the intervening period.

16 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Undoubtedly so.

Let him develop I think- especially as he scored today and Bakinson got an assist- possible partnership in the making there, combinations possible. Same with Vyner at Rotherham and Moore at Southend, don't see any need for a recall before the end of the season.

As you say, timing of development is vital. Recalls halfway or so through a season, can't see the merit myself. Stability is what a player needs to develop- recall, new environment (well parent club but on the pitch I mean), new partnerships have to form, halfway through a season- can't see much of an upside. Could actually stall development in fact.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Undoubtedly so.

Let him develop I think- especially as he scored today and Bakinson got an assist- possible partnership in the making there, combinations possible. Same with Vyner at Rotherham and Moore at Southend, don't see any need for a recall before the end of the season.

As you say, timing of development is vital. Recalls halfway or so through a season, can't see the merit myself. Stability is what a player needs to develop- recall, new environment (well parent club but on the pitch I mean), new partnerships have to form, halfway through a season- can't see much of an upside. Could actually stall development in fact.

Sadly I’m not entirely convinced we will get to see him in a City shirt (at first team level) again

But the plan if his development , is still the way to go 

Archived