Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Just reading about him and he is getting rave reviews all round also names as one of the hottest prospects in the efl, I'm guessing he can't be recalled otherwise it seems bizarre that we are looking for a striker when we have one on loan who just tore leicester defense apart?

Interesting to see him playing out wide for Newport. You wonder when and for whom he will start playing up top regularly.

Edited by Shtanley

19 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Just reading about him and he is getting rave reviews all round also names as one of the hottest prospects in the efl, I'm guessing he can't be recalled otherwise it seems bizarre that we are looking for a striker when we have one on loan who just tore leicester defense apart?

I'm not so sure we are looking at bringing in another striker. I think we will bring in a midfielder and that will be it.

Semenyo's loan is for the whole season I read. Newport said at the start of the window that he's there for the season, but Bakinson and Prings could be recalled. Obviously Bakinson is now confirmed to be staying on.

19 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Edited by JonDolman

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not so sure we are looking at bringing in another striker. I think we will bring in a midfielder and that will be it.

Didn’t LJ say he was looking to sign a striker in this window?

Just now, Robbored said:

Didn’t LJ say he was looking to sign a striker in this window?

No. He said he thinks Palmer might be able to do that Reid role up front.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No. He said he thinks Palmer might be able to do that Reid role up front.

I missed that interview then.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I missed that interview then.

Johnson said the following in the pre-Bolton presser (source: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/full-bristol-city-transcript-lee-2415638):

"Question: Kasey Palmer has signed for Bristol City. How do you see him fitting in at Bristol City?

I see him fitting in centrally. I like him as a 10 or an 8, depending on which formation we play, including three in the middle.

It’s something we’ve looked at - the cost of top class strikers is extreme at the moment going around the place.

So we’ve tweaked the formation and it’s been very attacking still. We’ve talked about that 4-1-4-1 or the 4-2-3-1 that gets you a 10 in there, and we’ve got a lot of energy and pace wide.

We’ve been scoring goals and keeping clean sheets in recent weeks, which has been good, and we want to add a little bit of sparkle that we think Kasey can do."

Then in answer to another question he said:

"Question: Do you still want to bring in another '9 and a half' player or another striker? Or is that Kasey?

I think he [Palmer] can play that role. And it’s interesting if you make a direct comparison with Bobby Reid: there’s a lot, sharpness, power, how they handle the ball, how they move in behind...

It will be interesting to see if Kasey has that natural instinct to come short and spin like Bobby had.

That wasn’t natural with Bobby, we worked on it but Bobby took to it like a duck to water. It's something that we might play around with but his main purpose will be to play 8 or 10, attacking midfield [position].

And it's good now because we've got very different attributes in there, with Marlon Pack steady and assured and good in the build-up play, and with Browny busy but he can also play that deeper one and Pato who plays that 8 or 12 role as well, and who can also play well, so there's quite a lot of options and there's a lot of mobility in our midfield.

And that's what I think you need at this level."

Don't forget Eisa was ripping it up in that league last year and (for whatever reason) he hasn't been able to step up.

Not everyone is Jamie Vardy or Ian Wright - we should be patient.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Don't forget Eisa was ripping it up in that league last year and (for whatever reason) he hasn't been able to step up.

It is also important to note that Vardy didn't exactly take to the Championship like a duck to water when he first arrived at Leicester. That being said, I still feel like Mo should be given more of a chance in the first team; even if it's just to come on and tire out some defenders while gaining an understanding of what is required of him. Taylor isn't getting any younger nor is he getting any more prolific, so I think we should be looking to Eisa in these situations instead.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pato who plays that 8 or 12 role as well, and who can also play well, so there's quite a lot of options and there's a lot of mobility in our midfield.

And that's what I think you need at this level."

Excuse my ignorance,  but what's a 12 ...?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Don't forget Eisa was ripping it up in that league last year and (for whatever reason) he hasn't been able given a chance to step up.

Corrected for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crackers Corner said:

But he didn't tear the Leicester defence apart did he - far from it.

He had a good game.

That's it.

Loads of ott reactions.

• Like 1

Wasn’t it Ashton who said we were close to signing a striker and not LJ, don’t think anyone would regard Palmer as a striker, attacking midfielder yes but never seen him used as a striker before? Saying that it never even crossed my mind the Reid could play that role, so what do I know! 

I still think we’ll sign another striker this window though.

Doing it in the FA Cup live on TV against Premier league opposition is different to doing it week in week out for Bristol City 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He had a good game.

That's it.

Loads of ott reactions.

Exactly,what he did give was a very disciplined and committed ninety minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

He had a good game.

That's it.

Loads of ott reactions.

I must admit to not seeing the full game but have gone by the media reports on the match, martin keown  rates him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6562903/Newport-ace-Antoine-Semenyo-star-making-plus-makes-team-round.html

He took on a Premier League- winning right back in Danny Simpson and gave him a torrid time. Such were the problems Semenyo caused him that Claude Puel took him off after an hour. 

I dont see see that as an ott reaction. We are looking for a striker and have one on loan who has lots of interest inc Man Utd.

Edit: on reflection tore apart was probably a poor choice of words.

Edited by Crackers Corner

8 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I must admit to not seeing the full game but have gone by the media reports on the match, martin keown  rates him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6562903/Newport-ace-Antoine-Semenyo-star-making-plus-makes-team-round.html

He took on a Premier League- winning right back in Danny Simpson and gave him a torrid time. Such were the problems Semenyo caused him that Claude Puel took him off after an hour. 

I dont see see that as an ott reaction. We are looking for a striker and have one on loan who has lots of interest inc Man Utd.

He did ok for an 18 year old.

It was a mature performance.

Good prospect, lots of potential - like a few others.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He looks like what we need at the moment - he can dribble and he can shoot.

So can I..........sorry we're talking football. My mistake !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

It is also important to note that Vardy didn't exactly take to the Championship like a duck to water when he first arrived at Leicester.....

I reckon he did ok....21 goals in his first 70 games in the championship after making the step up from Fleetwood....pretty ok...

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I reckon he did ok....21 goals in his first 70 games in the championship after making the step up from Fleetwood....pretty ok...

He scored 5 in his first 29, which was not considered good enough given his fee. Plus, it was particularly poor for a striker that functioned best as a pure off-the-shoulder poacher. Numerous articles wrote about how he initially struggled to cope with his newfound wealth, profile and expectation set upon him. There was even a point where he wanted to quit football altogether following his first season at Leicester. It is easy to look at it from hindsight, but really he did not have the smoothest transition initially, which is why we need to be patient with Mo. I have left you some articles to prove everything that I have said despite the fact that the news section of the Independent is now like a left-wing version of the Daily Mail.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-used-to-turn-up-drunk-claims-leicester-vice-chairman-a7014666.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-nearly-quit-leicester-city-become-ibiza-party-rep-craig-shakespeare-a7665606.html

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10824212/craig-shakespeare-says-leicesters-jamie-vardy-once-had-to-be-talked-out-of-quitting-game

Edited by Newquay-Red
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Semenyo's loan is for the whole season I read. Newport said at the start of the window that he's there for the season, but Bakinson and Prings could be recalled. Obviously Bakinson is now confirmed to be staying on.

As I am sure others have already said there is a Jan call back option!

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He just gave Leicester a right hard time. Think he may have just stepped up!

4 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Excuse my ignorance,  but what's a 12 ...?  

The Elliason role. Cmon keep up!!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

He scored 5 in his first 29, which was not considered good enough given his fee.....

Yep, Vardy scored 5 in his first 29 games in the championship...then he scored 21 in his first 70 games in the championship....not too shabby given the step up from Fleetwood.....

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Corrected for you.

I would wager if you added up the minutes Mo has been allowed to play in a league game this season it would not add up to one game, how people are judging him on that is ridiculous, know we can be a bit harsh on here sometimes but that is taking it to a whole new level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

He scored 5 in his first 29, which was not considered good enough given his fee. Plus, it was particularly poor for a striker that functioned best as a pure off-the-shoulder poacher. Numerous articles wrote about how he initially struggled to cope with his newfound wealth, profile and expectation set upon him. There was even a point where he wanted to quit football altogether following his first season at Leicester. It is easy to look at it from hindsight, but really he did not have the smoothest transition initially, which is why we need to be patient with Mo. I have left you some articles to prove everything that I have said despite the fact that the news section of the Independent is now like a left-wing version of the Daily Mail.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-used-to-turn-up-drunk-claims-leicester-vice-chairman-a7014666.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jamie-vardy-nearly-quit-leicester-city-become-ibiza-party-rep-craig-shakespeare-a7665606.html

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10824212/craig-shakespeare-says-leicesters-jamie-vardy-once-had-to-be-talked-out-of-quitting-game

To be fair, so would the diaries of a certain Genghis Khan....

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He just gave Leicester a right hard time. Think he may have just stepped up!

Like Hinds did against Prem opposition in the cup .

The talent is evident but he is still very young and inexperienced let’s not rush him .

Too many kids lose it without making their mark on pro football. 

14 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

If he was that good he’d be in our squad not playing for Newport County. Let’s see what he does playing against sides in league two before getting over excited. The championship is a massive step up from what he’s playing in a the moment. 

You have to remember, this was a one off game, players usually raise their games in these games.

The best thing for us and for him, is to resist the temptation to bring him back and to let him continue to learn his trade there.

If he is that good then he will be even better in the summer and will have a whole pre season to impress and earn his place in the team.

• Like 1

Don’t get this desperation to get Semenyo back 

My first proper sight of him really v Leicester and have to say I was really impressed in some of the signs / attributes , and he has every chance of making a very good player - cracking prospect

But he’s 18 , no professional or even decent amateur background, played 7 times for Bath City ( Which even then I thought an ask coming from college ) and 17 times for Newport in L2 to date

A grand total of 24 ‘competitive’ games

His rise in levels is Pretty a amazing for one so young , with his background ,  and all credit to him

But what’s the rush ? panic ? 

I would suggest he needs experience of the pro game and game time

Do we really think that he’s going to start over Kasey Palmer , Pato , AW etc , or even come off the bench ahead of them or others (Unless we are cruising a game with 10 mins to go) 

He is likely to benefit himself,  and us by getting games and many more minutes in a tough physical league

I think people underestimate the jump in standards and intensity in Championship

Wed all like to see him ripping up the Championship for us and  Semenyo looks to have the tools to make it there , at some point , but , when the time is right , the timing of development vital IMHO

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He is a raw talent who is being noticed by the Premier League scouts.

Whether he makes it higher up the leagues is guesswork at the moment.

What particularly impressed me , on that short look  CA ,was his balance and ,  his decision making / game awareness -  remarkable for one so young with virtually nil decent amateur let alone pro experience 

Playing the right pass at the right time, travelling with the ball at the right time etc

Looks a natural footballer, some of those things difficult to coach 

Also Flynn’s comments ........ strongest 18 yr old he’s ever seen , Can’t work out which foot is strongest

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

53 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t get this desperation to get Semenyo back 

My first proper sight of him really v Leicester and have to say I was really impressed in some of the signs / attributes , and he has every chance of making a very good player - cracking prospect

But he’s 18 , no professional or even decent amateur background, played 7 times for Bath City ( Which even then I thought an ask coming from college ) and 17 times for Newport in L2 to date

A grand total of 24 ‘competitive’ games

His rise in levels is Pretty a amazing for one so young , with his background ,  and all credit to him

But what’s the rush ? panic ? 

I would suggest he needs experience of the pro game and game time

Do we really think that he’s going to start over Kasey Palmer , Pato , AW etc , or even come off the bench ahead of them or others (Unless we are cruising a game with 10 mins to go) 

He is likely to benefit himself,  and us by getting games and many more minutes in a tough physical league

I think people underestimate the jump in standards and intensity in Championship

Wed all like to see him ripping up the Championship for us and  Semenyo looks to have the tools to make it there , at some point , but , when the time is right , the timing of development vital IMHO

I'm inclined to agree though I'm not sure we have got the balance right yet. Bielsa for instance is happy to throw the likes of Jack Clarke in at the deep end.

Bit of a no win for LJ though if fans want signings but want our young players brought through at the same time. A circle he can't square.

Just nice to have prospects like him and Smith and Bakinson out there getting experience in the league.

No problem letting them have time to develop - did the likes of Reid and Bryan good. 

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm inclined to agree though I'm not sure we have got the balance right yet. Bielsa for instance is happy to throw the likes of Jack Clarke in at the deep end.

Bit of a no win for LJ though if fans want signings but want our young players brought through at the same time. A circle he can't square.

Ha ha

Exactly what kept going through my mind as I’ve posted about Semenyo , Pearson this morning

Not just Clarke either - there’s a gang of them !

What Bielsa is doing is quite remarkable - and being brave enough to throw them in when you are going for promotion and have youngsters making significant contributions is unbelievably brave and....

Brilliant ...... his confidence and faith in his methods are remarkable 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, Vardy scored 5 in his first 29 games in the championship...then he scored 21 in his first 70 games in the championship....not too shabby given the step up from Fleetwood.....

I think the point is Newquay red said Vardy "didn't exactly take like a duck to water when he first arrived at Leicester."

By the 70th game at a club you haven't "just arrived"

I haven't checked his appearances per season, but going off what is plausible, I'd guess the 5 in 29 was his first season with Leceister, or "when he first arrived".

And that the 70 game mark is the end of either his second or third season, depending on whether he had a big injury- I don't think he did and I'd be inclined to say 2nd season.

So at first, "when he first arrived" he did struggle to make the step up. He did make the step up after the first season but not immediately.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ha ha

Exactly what kept going through my mind as I’ve posted about Semenyo , Pearson this morning

Not just Clarke either - there’s a gang of them !

What Bielsa is doing is quite remarkable - and being brave enough to throw them in when you are going for promotion and have youngsters making significant contributions is unbelievably brave and....

Brilliant ...... his confidence and faith in his methods are remarkable 

I think it's one of the strongest reasons for having an experienced manager. I'm sure Bielsa isn't particularly worried whether it works out at Leeds or not. That view along with his experience gives him the confidence to play some of the youngsters. Younger managers such as Johnson always have that fear that if it goes wrong their careers can be seriously dented. Takes an exceptional amount of confidence (or sometimes desperation) to give youngsters regular starting spots

Edited by KentRed
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Worse record than Fam. I feel the need to point that out due to the pelters he continues to receive. 

5 minutes ago, KentRed said:

I think it's one of the strongest reasons for having an experienced manager. I'm sure Bielsa isn't particularly worried whether it works out at Leeds or not. That view along with his experience gives him the confidence to play some of the youngsters. Younger managers such as Johnson always have that fear that if it goes wrong their careers can be seriously dented. Takes an exceptional amount of confidence (or sometimes desperation) to give youngsters regular starting spots

One thing I found , is if you gave a good youngster , (with a decent attitude) a chance any mistakes they make were balanced against the fact they gave you desire, energy and would do exactly what you asked them to do (Which I found teamwise , so important)

( Much bigger and harder decision at these levels though! ) 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What particularly impressed me , on that short look  CA ,was his balance and ,  his decision making / game awareness -  remarkable for one so young with virtually nil decent amateur let alone pro experience 

Playing the right pass at the right time, travelling with the ball at the right time etc

Looks a natural footballer, some of those things difficult to coach 

Also Flynn’s comments ........ strongest 18 yr old he’s ever seen , Can’t work out which foot is strongest

Those were the bits I noticed.  At times he opened up the play by getting it into feet, and then went either way....and then didn’t stop to admire the pass.

What was his background in London, pre-SGS?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Those were the bits I noticed.  At times he opened up the play by getting it into feet, and then went either way....and then didn’t stop to admire the pass.

What was his background in London, pre-SGS?

No idea mate tbh

4 hours ago, KentRed said:

What bothers me about that is in bold. Caring more about their career than a young players growth or the club. I am not saying for LJ but managers in general. Maybe easy for me to say but I wouldn’t care about money or my reputation. If you do a good job in player development and at your club those things will pan out. Not every 18 year old is ready but there are a few doing well at various levels so suggests to me there are more not getting chances.