IGNORED

3 Chelsea Loanees & Our Momentum

Cardy

Obviously the success of the Tammy loan is paying off & we are now very fortunate to have 3 quality players from Chelsea in the squad. I was wondering how common it was to have 3 loans all from the same team playing - has it ever happened with us before?

One thing for sure is that it won’t have gone unnoticed by our opponents & if we can keep this momentum going now we may just be dark horses for those playoffs. 

For me Palmer has to play the Reid role which we have desperately missed & if he is successful at it we have as good a chance as any now.

For the first time in a long time I am actually looking forward to this afternoon’s match!

19 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Obviously the success of the Tammy loan is paying off & we are now very fortunate to have 3 quality players from Chelsea in the squad. I was wondering how common it was to have 3 loans all from the same team playing - has it ever happened with us before?

One thing for sure is that it won’t have gone unnoticed by our opponents & if we can keep this momentum going now we may just be dark horses for those playoffs. 

For me Palmer has to play the Reid role which we have desperately missed & if he is successful at it we have as good a chance as any now.

For the first time in a long time I am actually looking forward to this afternoon’s match!

Looking forward for the game, but suspect Palmer will just be a late sub unless Pato is injured (really hope I am wrong though).

I am actually looking forward to today as well, just hope for us to go a bit more gung ho against a pretty poor side, and straight from the off. They will come for a 0-0 no doubt, and if we can get an early(ish) goal then Bolton have to come out a bit and have a go, and it could be a decent entertaining game.

I was told by numerous Sags a couple of seasons ago that due to Wally, they would have a conveyor belt of Chelsea future stars going to them.......Wonder what happened.....

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

Looking forward for the game, but suspect Palmer will just be a late sub unless Pato is injured (really hope I am wrong though).

Be amazed if Palmer starts myself. 

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I was told by numerous Sags a couple of seasons ago that due to Wally, they would have a conveyor belt of Chelsea future stars going to them.......Wonder what happened.....

That's #gaslogic for you. Does Wally have any other links to Chelsea aside from supporting them? 

Bit like me taking over my local Sunday League team, and expecting City to lend me their entire U23 team just because I'm a fan.

Let's assume Palmer does well for us, along with Kalas and Dasilva and we reach the play offs but fail to win promotion. Next season we could lose all three (I know Dasilva could stay but it's not cut and dried).

Would we then be starting again / transition season number two? 

I'd love for it to work out but can see a likely scenario of us losing three of our better players again, but this time for no financial return.

8 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I am actually looking forward to today as well, just hope for us to go a bit more gung ho against a pretty poor side, and straight from the off. They will come for a 0-0 no doubt, and if we can get an early(ish) goal then Bolton have to come out a bit and have a go, and it could be a decent entertaining game.

Be amazed if Palmer starts myself. 

That would be our fault (again)!!

Abramovich fully intended on sending Tammy to the gas, but there was a bit of confusion when Wally said they were the biggest, richest and bestest team in Bristol. Roman googled Bristol Football Clubs, came across "One Team In Bristol" and instantly thought "That must be Wallys club".

The rest, as they say, is history. Meanwhile, Wally is still sat waiting for Tammy in his new tent....

3 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Let's assume Palmer does well for us, along with Kalas and Dasilva and we reach the play offs but fail to win promotion. Next season we could lose all three (I know Dasilva could stay but it's not cut and dried).

I'd love for it to work out but can see a likely scenario of us losing three of our better players again, but this time for no financial return.

As a strategy for getting promoted it's less risky (certainly financially) than the Wolves blueprint that Forest are following, with Mendes taking a large cut as he brings in a large number of players, who may or may not stay. And if we did go up, our chances of keeping the Chelsea loanees increases significantly, particularly Kalas, who we might even be able to afford to buy.

8 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

That's #gaslogic for you. Does Wally have any other links to Chelsea aside from supporting them? 

Bit like me taking over my local Sunday League team, and expecting City to lend me their entire U23 team just because I'm a fan.

But they are the 6th richest club in the land, they are Billionaires don't you know, they have a brand new stadium and training ground on the way.

I remember they took one Chelsea player and I was immediately told then "it's the next John Terry" and "watch then flood to us now with Wallys connections" ..... 

33 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

No return , but the initial outlay was greatly reduced too. You also have the chance to see the player close up over a period of time, now a deal (in theory) is done for DaSilva , and I think I read that talks had been done for Kalas, though no deal arranged. 
If we lost in the playoffs, it could raise our profile and even make other teams available to us for similar loans. If we had bought all 3 , say £20m , going out and replacing them is still not straight forward. I think we have to enjoy what is 2 (hopefully 3 ) successful loans , and see where it leads. 

21 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I hope LJ chucks KP in from the start (as long as he’s fit obvs), let him show us what he’s about from the off, kill Bolton off early doors, job done!

Think Paterson will start, he’s had a decent couple of games recently. 

We’re on a good run of form and I think it’s the wrong message to start a new player in that instance.

There is no doubt now that Paterson has to continue to play well. He has some serious competition for his place now. Would expect Palmer to get 20 minutes 

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

No return , but the initial outlay was greatly reduced too. You also have the chance to see the player close up over a period of time, now a deal (in theory) is done for DaSilva , and I think I read that talks had been done for Kalas, though no deal arranged. 
If we lost in the playoffs, it could raise our profile and even make other teams available to us for similar loans. If we had bought all 3 , say £20m , going out and replacing them is still not straight forward. I think we have to enjoy what is 2 (hopefully 3 ) successful loans , and see where it leads. 

Don't disagree. It's great to see these young players with a chance to buy. I'm just hoping we don't lose all three and then have to listen to the 'lost our three best players' argument again. At some point we need to 'kick on'. I'm hoping that point will be 2019/20 season.

39 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

Don't disagree. It's great to see these young players with a chance to buy. I'm just hoping we don't lose all three and then have to listen to the 'lost our three best players' argument again. At some point we need to 'kick on'. I'm hoping that point will be 2019/20 season.

Football does seemed to have changed in this respect. Obviously there have always been loans , but now teams with Premier aspirations take players on loan more often. I imagine because the top clubs stockpile players there are more quality players available too loan. You need only look at Frank Lampard Derby , spent money but have 3/4 on loan?
If , and that's a big if , we were to get up with the help of loans we would have the funds for permanent signings. While not always cheap, I guess a loan is a cheaper and safer way to go. Case in point, a year ago (today I think) we signed Ryan Kent on loan , imagine that was permanent  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Red Grovesy said:

This is the reality of the current situation, apart from the bit where we reach the play offs.

We brought in a few loans about this time last season to carry on with our promo bid....that went well...not.

We need to build with players we are likely to keep, not those who are likely to be just passing through; we are building a squad yes that's fine but please don't keep knocking it down and starting over.

Fans are looking forward to a game against a "poor" team to kick on for the dream.....hope the players don't just think they have to turn up to win or there will be tears.

2 hours ago, Cardy said:

Which Reid role?

• the one with Pato
  • the one with Diedhiou 

very different roles.

30 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

4 million for palmer

6 million for kalas

6 million for da silva 

Those are complete guesses though

Not sure it would be as much as that. 

Palmer in last year of contract I think. Agree terms and pay compensation. Say 1m?

Kalas would be the expensive one and would be competition for his signature. Say 6-8m?

Dasilva I reckon is in the 2-3m range tops. No way we have an option to buy a LB as our record transfer imo. 

So even on the expensive side 12m. Possibly as low as 10m. Wages for all 3 I imagine would be the hard bit. Probably 40k between the trio at least. Though if we sell Kelly and get a few off the books that would be tidy business. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Palmer in last year of contract I think. Agree terms and pay compensation. Say 1m?

Kalas would be the expensive one and would be competition for his signature. Say 6-8m?

Dasilva I reckon is in the 2-3m range tops. No way we have an option to buy a LB as our record transfer imo. 

So even on the expensive side 12m. Possibly as low as 10m. Wages for all 3 I imagine would be the hard bit. Probably 40k between the trio at least. Though if we sell Kelly and get a few off the books that would be tidy business. 

Think you may be optimistic on a fee for Palmer and certainly wages unfortunately Joe

Certainly wage wise I’d be amazed if much change under £50-60k a week for the three at a bare minimum 

• Admin

I listened in to the audio post match interview with KP and he said whilst it hadn't been discussed per se, he would entertain a move here in the Summer as we match his own ambitions to be playing in the Prem in a couple of years' time.

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Palmer’s contract til summer 2021 i’m Afraid.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think you may be optimistic on a fee for Palmer and certainly wages unfortunately Joe

Certainly wage wise I’d be amazed if much change under £50-60k a week for the three at a bare minimum 

Did say at least on the wages tbf. If I was guessing 25k Kalas 15k Palmer 10k Dasilva

Thought Palmer was OOC so will add to the value but don’t think he’d be mega money either but close to our record fee possibly(4-5m?). 

It is good we have this relationship with Chelsea but if we do want to sign their players it will cost. I hope we try to take advantage of the loan situation. Will be costly but we have not had many duds come from Chelsea recently

16 hours ago, Cardy said:

No way can he play the Reid role, different type of players.

Imo we already have a player that can play the Reid role and that's Matty Taylor.

Archived