IGNORED

Bristol City v Bolton Wanderers Match Day 27

Septic Peg

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Only if our players don't think that makes it a formality.

Can't afford to start like we did today. Gotta be up for it from the start and scrap for every precious point.

Yeah. Personally though I wouldn’t have started Pato and Weimann.

I know we’ve been on a good run but I think you need to freshen it at times. Da Silva and Taylor deserve their chance in the side, so hopefully now they’ve made a case for themselves.

Wasnt expecting Palmer to start but it was a promising debut. He’s also given LJ a headache!

Onto Forest with a great spirit. I fancy us next week.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Yeah. Personally though I wouldn’t have started Pato and Weimann.

I know we’ve been on a good run but I think you need to freshen it at times. Da Silva and Taylor deserve their chance in the side, so hopefully now they’ve made a case for themselves.

Wasnt expecting Palmer to start but it was a promising debut. He’s also given LJ a headache!

Onto Forest with a great spirit. I fancy us next week.

No headaches, the team that finished has to start, end of.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I’m enjoying it but if you can’t see what is in front of your eyes then I’m honestly lost for words

Does't matter does it? I've hardly been LJ's biggest fan and I'm still not, but we're seventh and in touching distance of the playoffs. Enjoy yourself.

19 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

It's not that worrying. We're 10 games unbeaten. We're strong enough to keep out the really attacking teams, and when we really need it, we've been able to find the goal/s this season. It's possible to have different best teams to play against different types of sides.

So you wouldn’t rather be beating teams like Bolton from the start 

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

Does't matter does it? I've hardly been LJ's biggest fan and I'm still not, but we're seventh and in touching distance of the playoffs. Enjoy yourself.

Again as I said I am 

Bolton fans sound worse than we did when on a losing streak. https://the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26897&start=80

Every week we lose. We lose to attacking teams. Afer a spell of 49 losses in a row, we attack one week and score 5. The following week we lose (afer being in front again) to an attacking team. Might the soloution be for us to become an attacking team ourselves? 
Not much to lose really, is here?

So you wouldn’t rather be beating teams like Bolton from the start 

Again as I said I am 

Yes, but I'm not expecting us to win every game, even against teams we should beat on paper. It's a tough league. We won. We still need another experienced finisher, but the rest of the team is looking strong. 

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

No headaches, the team that finished has to start, end of.

You’ve got to look at it in this way though Es. Before today, we’ve been 9 unbeaten, won away at Stoke and have recently turned over a Premier League side.

Team that started, has earned the trust of LJ. It didn’t work at times today but Lee changed it and the rest is history.

He’s certainly got a headache. I wouldn’t have started Pato and Weimann, due to freshness but I can understand why he did.

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

Team for next week-

Niki

Hunt Kalas Webster Dasilva

Eliasson Brownhill Pack O'Dowda

Palmer

Fammy

With Matty ready to come off the bench after 60 if 0-0 or losing. 

Leave out the player who scored one and had an assist for the 2nd? and bring in a player who played no part in todays game?

Taylor deserves a run in the team I am not so sure that Eliasson or Diedhiou deserve that chance.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

You’ve got to look at it in this way though Es. Before today, we’ve been 9 unbeaten, won away at Stoke and have recently turned over a Premier League side.

Team that started, has earned the trust of LJ. It didn’t work at times today but Lee changed it and the rest is history.

He’s certainly got a headache. I wouldn’t have started Pato and Weimann, due to freshness but I can understand why he did.

I'm sorry I can see a case for Wiemann, but Paterson really?

5 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Yes, but I'm not expecting us to win every game, even against teams we should beat on paper. It's a tough league. We won. We still need another experienced finisher, but the rest of the team is looking strong. 

Of course and agree,nobody expected us to batter them like hull did but to be so negative against them first half is a worry

25 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Weimann's movement is good but his finishing is woeful, he has the 3 best chances in the first half; 1 hit 6 feet over, 1 hit 20 feet over and 1 hit defender and then hit the bar. He just does not look as if he could score in a brothel at the mo I'm afraid.

It’s the old adage that «  when one goes in etc «  

He brings so much more to the team than goals ( much like Matty Taylor ) .

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I'm sorry I can see a case for Wiemann, but Paterson really?

I’m not his biggest fan but he’s looked bright the last few games. Secondly, until now, we haven’t had the luxury of options who can play in his position or a number 10. 

Palmer probably edges it now for a starting place next week.

Of course and agree,nobody expected us to batter them like hull did but to be so negative against them first half is a worry

I guess, but it just seems like Johnson's training us to contain teams, not to go gung-ho and lose leads. It worked perfectly against Huddersfield.

Last season the big problem was our midfield was as easy to get through as wet tissue paper. Now we're tricky to break down. That seems to be our plan A. I was actually encouraged by the drastic change after we went behind, and it showed we have two different sides to our game.

The issue is, I don't think our squad is quite good enough to be a fantastic attacking side and a steely defence at the same time - we have to make do with one or the other.

Also, to be clear, I think if we'd signed Palmer last week or the week before he'd have started this game. I definitely think Paterson will be out of the team sooner rather than later, and Weimann too eventually.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s the old adage that «  when one goes in etc «  

He brings so much more to the team than goals ( much like Matty Taylor ) .

Trouble is he has gone 20 appearances now without a goal, he just seems to lose all composure when chances fall his way. All about opinions but I'd start Eliasson or Taylor ahead of him every time. 

Just now, Lew-T said:

I’m not his biggest fan but he’s looked bright the last few games. Secondly, until now, we haven’t had the luxury of options who can play in his position or a number 10. 

Palmer probably edges it now for a starting place next week.

Somebody else claimed the same earlier today and I will answer the same way, not through my rose tinted glasses he hasn't, he offers little or nothing save the odd reasonable shot and the even less odd cross, his defensive work is appalling, I always feel it's like playing with 10 men with him in the side.

I would be interested to know the last game in which had an influence from start to finish, certainly not in the past 12 months.

28 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

@Alessandro what are you confused about?, I am always happy to discuss my thoughts on this discussion forum.

Thought your comments were a little glass half full IMO. Lessons learned? Not for me. A professional performance utilising the whole squad. But for a sloppy bit of play by Kelly, Bolton were never in it. We've hit the post twice and carved them open several times. 

I totally that Famara was awful today. Poor touch in front of goal, but an important good team shift IMO.

I also think you're harsh on Weimann today, thought he had everything apart from the finish. Feel he is now trying too hard to get a goal. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, oggysouthwest said:

yes  and  play  4-4-2    all  home  games from  the  start

When the 3 dubs came on we went 4312 with COD dropping into midfield and Kasey in the hole. Then when 2-1 up we went to 433 with Kasey sitting deeper and COD pushing on. Then he switched to 4411 with Kasey/COD wide for the last 5 mins and Bolton came back into the game.

The broadly 442 (4411) was our worst formation of the game.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Thought your comments were a little glass half full IMO. Lessons learned? Not for me. A professional performance utilising the whole squad. But for a sloppy bit of play by Kelly, Bolton were never in it. We've hit the post twice and carved them open several times. 

I totally that Famara was awful today. Poor touch in front of goal, but an important good team shift IMO.

I also think you're harsh on Weimann today, thought he had everything apart from the finish. Feel he is now trying too hard to get a goal. 

I cannot argue with the highlighted part.

It took a sloppily conceded goal and a triple substitution before today became anywhere near a professional performance, they had more shots on target in the first half.

I thought he was Diedhiou was poor all round, never caused them a problem all day.

Wiemann I will agree is a difficult one, nobody can fault his endeavour but how many goal less games is that now and 2 assists all season, Taylor after today has 3 assists this season and now a recent goal and he hardly gets a game for some reason, as for the very last sentence another good reason to rest him.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It took a sloppily conceded goal and a triple substitution before today became anywhere near a professional performance, they had more shots on target in the first half.

I thought he was Diedhiou was poor all round, never caused them a problem all day.

Wiemann I will agree is a difficult one, nobody can fault his endeavour but how many goal less games is that now and 2 assists all season, Taylor after today has 3 assists this season and now a recent goal and he hardly gets a game for some reason, as for the very last sentence another good reason to rest him.

That’s unfair on Diedhiou. He missed some great chances put in a good shift. One of the reasons Taylor often look so good when he comes on is because Diedhiou has worn them down in a physical battle all game. He has his flaws in his game and certainly doesn’t fit into this high press game that Johnson preaches. But I guarantee the Bolton defenders will feel battered after today

1 hour ago, Selred said:

1 shot on target. 0 goals. 

Against a team in the relegation zone who was recently pumped 6-0 by Hull.

We dominated that match and in another day would have scored 4 or 5.

In that respect we were just unlucky with our chances. The set up and team performance were fine.

I don’t see how based on the evidence it could be argued otherwise 

19 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Did I say glass half full?! I meant empty! ?

Kelly will have learned a lesson today - and yes they may have had more shots on target, but one was a soft header, another a pea roller easily taken by Niki.

Forget the stats, we had by far the best openings and the only time they looked like scoring was the gift from our defence.

Agree to disagree with Fam. I can think of at least 2, 3 times he either won a good flick on or held the ball up well to link up or feed others into play. Thought his game was excellent but missed a final touch today.

I like Taylor and agree to a certain extent - but feel he is at his best off the bench TBH. Whenever he gets a start or a few games he disappoints me. Off the bench in front of a tired defence, a real weapon. Why not utilitise that. 

City played well and won. Its a factor of how far we have come in the past eight weeks that people are complaining about it....Please stop!

We play a certain way that is clear and grind out results partially by changing things on or about 60 mins. We are predictable in that respect, what we could not predict today was their goal.

LJ may not be inclined to change a winning team and who would blame him...I wouldn't.

For the record Taylor was class again off the bench also him and Kasey seemed to gel, which was good to see. 

I would start exactly the same way with same team, however straight swaps for Pato and Kasey, possibly Desilva for Kelly I'm sure will get discussed. Either way NF will not fancy us and nor will anyone else. If we keep this sequence going anything could happen, so don't change the basic formula and I can see something astounding happening in my crystal ball!  

53 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Somebody else claimed the same earlier today and I will answer the same way, not through my rose tinted glasses he hasn't, he offers little or nothing save the odd reasonable shot and the even less odd cross, his defensive work is appalling, I always feel it's like playing with 10 men with him in the side.

I would be interested to know the last game in which had an influence from start to finish, certainly not in the past 12 months.

8 Dec 2017, man of the match as we beat Sheff Utd 1-2 away.

Archived