IGNORED

Bristol City v Bolton Wanderers Match Day 27

Septic Peg

Last season, if we were 2 or 3 goals up did anybody feel confident that we can see the game out? I certainly didn't.

This season, with the way we are set up defensively now I couldn't see us losing from 2-0 up. That is progress in my eyes.

Yes, we aren't as attack-minded or as pretty to watch as last season, but we are much harder to beat. A club of our standing and budget compared to others shouldn't expect to be able to steam-roller any side in this league but if we keep picking up points, it will breed confidence and stand us in good stead for the future.

As a club we are taking baby steps forward but I believe they will take us forward in the long term. 

3 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Last season, if we were 2 or 3 goals up did anybody feel confident that we can see the game out? I certainly didn't.

This season, with the way we are set up defensively now I couldn't see us losing from 2-0 up. That is progress in my eyes.

Yes, we aren't as attack-minded or as pretty to watch as last season, but we are much harder to beat. A club of our standing and budget compared to others shouldn't expect to be able to steam-roller any side in this league but if we keep picking up points, it will breed confidence and stand us in good stead for the future.

As a club we are taking baby steps forward but I believe they will take us forward in the long term. 

You don't get extra points for style and at the end of the season the table shows how many points you have - not how you got them.

For how long have some fans been anticipating LJ's next major slump? This team seems more resilient and, as you say, harder to beat, and we have still only once conceded in the last quarter of any game this season. Perhaps this might be a season where we get stronger after Christmas. Apart from Hull, who are on a storming run of wins, no one else seems able to maintain any consistency.

Another post says that LJ doesn't know his best team. If we can have the sort of run we are on while he doesn't know his best team, then we might have a chance of making the play-offs if he does discover what the best team is. 

39 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Did I say glass half full?! I meant empty! ?

Kelly will have learned a lesson today - and yes they may have had more shots on target, but one was a soft header, another a pea roller easily taken by Niki.

Forget the stats, we had by far the best openings and the only time they looked like scoring was the gift from our defence.

Agree to disagree with Fam. I can think of at least 2, 3 times he either won a good flick on or held the ball up well to link up or feed others into play. Thought his game was excellent but missed a final touch today.

I like Taylor and agree to a certain extent - but feel he is at his best off the bench TBH. Whenever he gets a start or a few games he disappoints me. Off the bench in front of a tired defence, a real weapon. Why not utilitise that. 

Should have had a hatrick today, his positional play in the 18 yard box at times is bewildering, he has been at least a yard late into the 6 yard box all season, there have been a lot of meat and drink driven crosses for strikers all season and his hold up play imho is weak, but I take your point it's all about opinions, like with LJ I remain unconvinced re Diedhiou.

But let me just throw one other FACT into the mix regarding Wiemann and Diedhiou, all of Wiemanns goals came during Diedhiou's suspension, he has not scored since Diedhiou has returned, maybe they should not be paired together???????

Some of the negativity on this thread is extraordinary. 

We played well today, albeit against a poor side. I felt we were in total control throughout and even when they scored I didn’t doubt we’d win the game. When we raised the tempo, especially after break, we looked a real threat. It was certainly one of the better home performances I’ve seen this season. 

As for Paterson, who seems to be the whipping boy of choice at the moment, I thought he was bright today and did absolutely fine. He looked a threat and I was surprised he was withdrawn. I’ve seek him play infinitely worse and not get taken off. 

Overall I’m amazed that some people are still moaning at the moment. I know LJ and the players are far from perfect but we’re 10 unbeaten, will almost certainly be playing Championship football next season at the very least and results of late have been excellent. It might not be as exciting as the best spell of last session but for Christ’s sake just try and enjoy it. There’s enough nonsense going on in the world at the moment without getting further depressed about our currently winning football team ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

57 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

An interesting angle on that maybe, coming from behind- earlier in the season i.e. late September-late November type time, would we have won that? Not certain.

Things definitely on the up and thought the football 2nd half in particular was not too bad, albeit vs a Bolton in disarray on and off the pitch.

I can’t disagree with the criticism of Diedhiou’ s finishing today.

However, I thought his hold up play was some of the best I’ve seen from him, so some of the broad brush insults are OTT.

What we need is a poacher to play alongside him. Matty Taylor might even be it. 

Todays finishing eleven looked impressive. And my MOM was Brownhill.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

You don't get extra points for style and at the end of the season the table shows how many points you have - not how you got them.

For how long have some fans been anticipating LJ's next major slump? This team seems more resilient and, as you say, harder to beat, and we have still only once conceded in the last quarter of any game this season. Perhaps this might be a season where we get stronger after Christmas. Apart from Hull, who are on a storming run of wins, no one else seems able to maintain any consistency.

Another post says that LJ doesn't know his best team. If we can have the sort of run we are on while he doesn't know his best team, then we might have a chance of making the play-offs if he does discover what the best team is. 

Agree with most of that downend. 

You mentioned about LJ not knowing his best team but in the modern game there really isn't any such thing as a best team unless you're Liverpool.  There is a thing called a good squad and it takes a decent manager to utilise it properly which is what's happening to us now. Yes, the squad could easily be improved, but LJ is doing a good job with the tools he has got to hand. If Kelly hadn't had a mare with Boltons goal, which is something no manager can legislate for, we would be more than happy with an easy 2-0 victory. 

The difference between this team and last seasons is we are getting points when we arent playing especially well and also from losing positions. That shows to me the players have confidence and a belief that we can get a result no matter what.

I have had my doubts about LJ (mostly after the Preston game last year) but I feel he's getting more grief than he deserves considering some of the hands he's been dealt since joining us. A small League 1 squad when he took over and having to keep us up then filling the squad out, a ridiculous injury list last year with a non-experienced Championship side and this year having 3 of your better/most influential players sold and having to sign and bed-in their replacements whilst the owner is saying he wants more than last year. Not easy by any stretch. Yes, he's got one of the most tolerant owners of a football club in the country, but SL still knows how to pull the trigger when he has to. 

I think the club from SL down deserve a little more than they are getting from the fans at the moment with regards to how we are improving. That's not me trying to slate anyone as I can totally understand people's frustrations but I think if we as a group look at the bigger picture rather than the minutiae of the here and now we should be a lot happier as a whole.

Apologies for the long post.

18 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Agree with most of that downend. 

You mentioned about LJ not knowing his best team but in the modern game there really isn't any such thing as a best team unless you're Liverpool.  There is a thing called a good squad and it takes a decent manager to utilise it properly which is what's happening to us now. Yes, the squad could easily be improved, but LJ is doing a good job with the tools he has got to hand. If Kelly hadn't had a mare with Boltons goal, which is something no manager can legislate for, we would be more than happy with an easy 2-0 victory. 

The difference between this team and last seasons is we are getting points when we arent playing especially well and also from losing positions. That shows to me the players have confidence and a belief that we can get a result no matter what.

I have had my doubts about LJ (mostly after the Preston game last year) but I feel he's getting more grief than he deserves considering some of the hands he's been dealt since joining us. A small League 1 squad when he took over and having to keep us up then filling the squad out, a ridiculous injury list last year with a non-experienced Championship side and this year having 3 of your better/most influential players sold and having to sign and bed-in their replacements whilst the owner is saying he wants more than last year. Not easy by any stretch. Yes, he's got one of the most tolerant owners of a football club in the country, but SL still knows how to pull the trigger when he has to. 

I think the club from SL down deserve a little more than they are getting from the fans at the moment with regards to how we are improving. That's not me trying to slate anyone as I can totally understand people's frustrations but I think if we as a group look at the bigger picture rather than the minutiae of the here and now we should be a lot happier as a whole.

Apologies for the long post.

I'm the last person to whom you need to apologise for a long post! :)

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s the old adage that «  when one goes in etc «  

He brings so much more to the team than goals ( much like Matty Taylor ) .

His understanding with Hunt shouldn’t be underestimated, but the end product is lacking at the mo’, unfortunately.  Just watch when Hunt is on the ball, with little option inside.  He drags his marker short and spins in behind, and Hunt is now on his wavelength and clipped 3/4 balls round the corner that Weimann latched onto.  He put in a couple of very good crosses today that someone like Palmer, might benefit from.  

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

When the 3 dubs came on we went 4312 with COD dropping into midfield and Kasey in the hole. Then when 2-1 up we went to 433 with Kasey sitting deeper and COD pushing on. Then he switched to 4411 with Kasey/COD wide for the last 5 mins and Bolton came back into the game.

The broadly 442 (4411) was our worst formation of the game.

Thanks Ian.  Yep wasn’t 442 when we made the subs, definitely 4312.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

We dominated that match and in another day would have scored 4 or 5.

In that respect we were just unlucky with our chances. The set up and team performance were fine.

I don’t see how based on the evidence it could be argued otherwise 

Second half we upped our game.

But first half was slow, we needed to pass faster, be more clinical.

You picked out stats, so did I. 

We did not have a good first half. 

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

Second half we upped our game.

But first half was slow, we needed to pass faster, be more clinical.

You picked out stats, so did I. 

We did not have a good first half. 

That’s fair enough.

I suppose if the first wasn’t good, was it bad? I didn’t think so.

46 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Worth a watch

Interesting view of the goals and key incidents 

Famaras miss.....wow !

Good support from loyal Bolton fans

Actually a pretty good video BBSB. What away days are all about. 

Would like to know what the stewards were stressing about though

2 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Actually a pretty good video BBSB. What away days are all about. 

Would like to know what the stewards were stressing about though

It was the group of older blokes who were singing pre game and had a sherbet  , or two

They we’re singing about Anderson and pointing amongst their own :dunno:

Assuming Anderson wasn’t sat in the Away end I can only guess there was some friction between fans re Anderson etc

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It was the group of older blokes who were singing pre game and had a sgoherbert or too

Assuming Anderson wasn’t sat in the Away end I can only guess there was some friction between fans re Anderson etc

Stewards trying to stop people supporting their team? Blokes travelling 300 miles to watch their shit team play, have a few beers and try to make the most of it. **** me, we've all been there over the years surely?

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Leave out the player who scored one and had an assist for the 2nd? and bring in a player who played no part in todays game?

Taylor deserves a run in the team I am not so sure that Eliasson or Diedhiou deserve that chance.

Taylor has shown this before and has shown to be more ineffective when starting. Throughout his career here he seems to have been far more effective off the bench when defences are tiring so why change that? 

The best teams will have players that can influence games off the bench, and Matty has shown himself to be that player, if we start with Matty up front with Fammy on the bench Fammy does not have the pace or work off the ball to profit later on in games. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Worth a watch

Interesting view of the goals and key incidents 

Famaras miss.....wow !

Good support from loyal Bolton fans

Ashton Gate looks beautiful doesn’t it?

Looked pretty full too. You go to places like Reading, Bolton, Wigan, Preston, Hull etc and there’s always plenty of empty seats. 

Don’t think we give ourselves enough credit sometimes. 

Very pleased to get the win today. When they scored I feared the worst.

First half we were too negative and didn't trouble their keeper enough. Too often our players seemed reluctant to run at them, even though when we did so we looked dangerous (e.g. Weimann's deflected effort that hit the bar). It frustrates the hell out of me when one of our players in acres of space plays a sideways pass (seemingly for the sake of it) to a player in less space who then gets closed down.

Second half was better. The subs made all the difference (I was hoping changes would be made at half time). Taylor was superb.

Overall I thought Pack had a better game and Diedhiou led the line well (despite being wasteful in front of goal). Palmer was very proactive when he came on - strong on the ball, chased back & not scared of getting stuck in.

Bolton were extremely poor. Credit to their fans who made the trip. Can't be easy to watch a limited side every weak who look destined for the drop (and we should know because we've been there only a few years ago).

The league table looks healthy tonight, so we can raise a glass to that.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It was the group of older blokes who were singing pre game and had a sherbet  , or two

Fighting amongst themselves?

Surefire sign of a club in deep strife that. It's obvious anyway but it only confirms that fact.

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Are you still sticking to your pre-season prediction that we'd be relegated, Andy?

I actually didn't say we would get relegated? This is the first season where I have said I thought we would come mid-table 

I predicted a lower finish then last season though 

So not sure where your getting your info from mate . 

15 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wide right

Still cannot ever get my head round this one.  AW states he likes to play down the middle and is his best position and LJ agrees with that.

We have an abundance of wide players, some who cannot even get in the match day squad. WATKINS for example, a £1.0 Million signing. 

So, we play AW wide, out of position, and while the effort is there for all and everyone to see, no end product  in his game ?

Would you put AW wide instead of the natural wide players like  Elliason and co ?, 

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Still cannot ever get my head round this one.  AW states he likes to play down the middle and is his best position and LJ agrees with that.

We have an abundance of wide players, some who cannot even get in the match day squad. WATKINS for example, a £1.0 Million signing. 

So, we play AW wide, out of position, and while the effort is there for all and everyone to see, no end product  in his game ?

Would you put AW wide instead of the natural wide players like  Elliason and co ?, 

It’s a ‘safe’ pick in Lees eyes IMHO

knows he will work , knows he’s likely to  make sensible decisions , offers some attacking threat and link play

Can see the thinking - I’d have liked to have seen Elliasson start yesterday against a side likely to sit deep

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s a ‘safe’ pick in Lees eyes IMHO

knows he will work , knows he’s likely to  make sensible decisions , offers some attacking threat and link play

Can see the thinking - I’d have liked to have seen Elliasson start yesterday against a side likely to sit deep

seems we have fallen into the same 'trap' as his previous club,  where he ends up a wide player because of his 'work' ethic and being 'busy'   Clearly an intelligent player who has played at levels above the championship but still a square peg in round hole and all that.

Thats what happened to him at derby and LJ said he saw him as a player in the middle when he arrived here.  Oh well !

Archived