IGNORED

Bristol City v Bolton Wanderers Match Day 27

Septic Peg

17 hours ago, Jacki said:

Some of the negativity on this thread is extraordinary. 

We played well today, albeit against a poor side. I felt we were in total control throughout and even when they scored I didn’t doubt we’d win the game. When we raised the tempo, especially after break, we looked a real threat. It was certainly one of the better home performances I’ve seen this season. 

As for Paterson, who seems to be the whipping boy of choice at the moment, I thought he was bright today and did absolutely fine. He looked a threat and I was surprised he was withdrawn. I’ve seek him play infinitely worse and not get taken off. 

Overall I’m amazed that some people are still moaning at the moment. I know LJ and the players are far from perfect but we’re 10 unbeaten, will almost certainly be playing Championship football next season at the very least and results of late have been excellent. It might not be as exciting as the best spell of last session but for Christ’s sake just try and enjoy it. There’s enough nonsense going on in the world at the moment without getting further depressed about our currently winning football team ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

People on here seem to look for things to criticise rather than praise

If you look at the table at this stage of last season we had 6 more points in 5th, and Fulham were in a very similar position to the one we're in now. Fulham then won 14 of their last 19 games. Not sure we'll manage that, but playoffs still a possibility. 

Football's about winning. We won. 3 points. That's all that matters.

The following are neither praise or criticism and appear simply as matter of record:

Bolton were poor;

They were content to cede us tons of possession and we didn't have to work that hard to win the ball back;

We knocked it around pretty much with unencumbered ease given we moved well and held a decent shape;

We were ponderous in the extreme in getting the ball forward;

Our final balls and particularly those into the box were woeful;

Brownhill's dead ball efforts couldn't have been less effective had tried (otherwise he had a decent game;)

Weimann isn't a striker, but as he never was that's no surprise;

WeeLee's changes weren't inspired, they were down to his system and choices not working irrespective of how much possession we had (he said as much post match;)

Taylor makes the most aggressive and decisive forward runs at the club, if he was an average scorer we'd think him a superstar - he should start over Weimann every time;

The Chelsea lads are positive, have good touch and improve the side. No sh*t Sherlock, why do you think Chelsea invested heavily in their services? If they don't start one has to ask why?

Webster gets stronger by the match;

Pack's worryingly inherited Hunt's habit of needlessly cedeing possession half a dozen times per game;

It's decent, nothing yet to shout about and the unbeaten run continues. If it does continue against better sides we may indeed have something to proclaim to the hills .......

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s a ‘safe’ pick in Lees eyes IMHO

knows he will work , knows he’s likely to  make sensible decisions , offers some attacking threat and link play

Can see the thinking - I’d have liked to have seen Elliasson start yesterday against a side likely to sit deep

Eliasson and O'Dowda v teams like Bolton at home would be excellent IMO. Thought similar v Rotherham but fair Rotherham posed more threat than anticipated in first half but definitely when they went down to 10? I'd have switched to that right away.

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s a ‘safe’ pick in Lees eyes IMHO

knows he will work , knows he’s likely to  make sensible decisions , offers some attacking threat and link play

Can see the thinking - I’d have liked to have seen Elliasson start yesterday against a side likely to sit deep

I tend to agree with this, you know exactly what you`re going to get from Andi, constant running and a great workrate. I watched him quite a bit yesterday in the second half as he was right in front of me and he was getting into dangerous positions and seemed to have a good understanding with Hunt. Some of the little triangles out by the corner flag were very good and switched the angle of attack several times and he also got a couple of good balls into the box himself. All in all, I thought it was one of his better games but do agree that Niclas should probably have started in a game like yesterday.

23 hours ago, Jacki said:

Some of the negativity on this thread is extraordinary. 

We played well today, albeit against a poor side. I felt we were in total control throughout and even when they scored I didn’t doubt we’d win the game. When we raised the tempo, especially after break, we looked a real threat. It was certainly one of the better home performances I’ve seen this season. 

As for Paterson, who seems to be the whipping boy of choice at the moment, I thought he was bright today and did absolutely fine. He looked a threat and I was surprised he was withdrawn. I’ve seek him play infinitely worse and not get taken off. 

Overall I’m amazed that some people are still moaning at the moment. I know LJ and the players are far from perfect but we’re 10 unbeaten, will almost certainly be playing Championship football next season at the very least and results of late have been excellent. It might not be as exciting as the best spell of last session but for Christ’s sake just try and enjoy it. There’s enough nonsense going on in the world at the moment without getting further depressed about our currently winning football team ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Your post does have a lot of merit.

But Paterson whipping boy my arse, 12 months of mainly dross, this season 3 goals 1 assist is just not good enough, defensively he is a liability.

This is where I stand on yesterday, Palmer achieved more in 30 minutes than the supposedly bright Paterson, there has been much talk about Diedhiou and Wiemann and my contention is that they cannot play together, Wiemann has not scored since Diedhiou returned from suspension and playing wide does not suit him. In recent weeks I have noticed an increase of low driven crosses into the 6 yard area and Diedhiou has not connected with one, to me he is a yard behind the play all of the time, whereas that was an area that Wiemann looked dangerous pre Diedhiou returning, something has got to give with these 2 as our strike force and Kelly is due a rest.

For me the team that finished yesterday has to be the one that starts on Saturday and LJ needs to allow players like Taylor, Da Silva and Palmer to have a fair run in the same way that he has for Paterson over the past 12 months and not look for the first opportunity to shoehorn him back into the team.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Your post does have a lot of merit.

But Paterson whipping boy my arse, 12 months of mainly dross, this season 3 goals 1 assist is just not good enough, defensively he is a liability.

This is where I stand on yesterday, Palmer achieved more in 30 minutes than the supposedly bright Paterson, there has been much talk about Diedhiou and Wiemann and my contention is that they cannot play together, Wiemann has not scored since Diedhiou returned from suspension and playing wide does not suit him. In recent weeks I have noticed an increase of low driven crosses into the 6 yard area and Diedhiou has not connected with one, to me he is a yard behind the play all of the time, whereas that was an area that Wiemann looked dangerous pre Diedhiou returning, something has got to give with these 2 as our strike force and Kelly is due a rest.

For me the team that finished yesterday has to be the one that starts on Saturday and LJ needs to allow players like Taylor, Da Silva and Palmer to have a fair run in the same way that he has for Paterson over the past 12 months and not look for the first opportunity to shoehorn him back into the team.

I know what you mean about Paterson as he hasn’t been great for long periods of the season. It did feel like he was indulged earlier in the season. 

I would however say that he’s been much improved over the past month or so, certainly in my view. When he’s on song, and he’s as close to being at his best as he’s been all season, he’s a good player at this level. He’s not consistent but players of his type rarely are. 

As for Diedhiou, there are plenty of flaws for him to work on but I think he’s doing okay. He could be better at attacking those balls into the box but if he was 100% the finished article and took the vast majority of his chances he wouldn’t be playing for us for long. Playing up front alone is a tough job and I think he’s made a decent fist of it. 

As I said yesterday, we're far from perfect but recent results have been excellent. I’m of a mind to look for and enjoy the positives and give credit where it’s due while things are going well. 

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

I know what you mean about Paterson as he hasn’t been great for long periods of the season. It did feel like he was indulged earlier in the season. 

I would however say that he’s been much improved over the past month or so, certainly in my view. When he’s on song, and he’s as close to being at his best as he’s been all season, he’s a good player at this level. He’s not consistent but players of his type rarely are. 

As for Diedhiou, there are plenty of flaws for him to work on but I think he’s doing okay. He could be better at attacking those balls into the box but if he was 100% the finished article and took the vast majority of his chances he wouldn’t be playing for us for long. Playing up front alone is a tough job and I think he’s made a decent fist of it. 

As I said yesterday, we're far from perfect but recent results have been excellent. I’m of a mind to look for and enjoy the positives and give credit where it’s due while things are going well. 

We will have to agree to disagree reference Paterson, your description of him being a whipping boy is just wrong, I totally disagree with your 'much improved'  tag, at best there has been a very slight improvement, also he hasn't been 'on song' since December 2017.

But to be fair all of this is not his fault, it's LJ for as you do rightly say 'indulging him' for such a long time and even when he does drop him, he always seems to be looking to get him back into the team on any pretext, pity he is not so patient with other players.

I know it’s a one-off example from yesterday, but when Ameobi strides forward on the break (like he did last year at their place - to score), look who’s busting a gut to get back...and eventually closes a bit of space he had to get a better shot off - Pato.

No way was he doing that a month, six weeks ago.  His attitude has changed.

Hes not in the form of Dec2017, but he’s been playing a part.  I want more from him, I suspect he’ll make way for Palmer.  Whether he ends up getting minutes wide or not I don’t know.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know it’s a one-off example from yesterday, but when Ameobi strides forward on the break (like he did last year at their place - to score), look who’s busting a gut to get back

Here's a random thought, how about Ameobi as back up for Fam ? Good touch, holds the ball well , has a decent shot and decent in the air, and can play the lone striker role. :whistle:

Archived