IGNORED

John Atyeo testimonial ticket

Meh

Thought this may be mildly interesting for young and old.

Basically in-laws turned up today and found this in some drawer they have not opened in a decade !!

They are not football fans so thought I might like it.

Kinda cool even though John Atyeo was a decade before my era. Each ticket individually stamped with seat numbers etc - good bit of history ??

3DA73B2A-2902-4102-BBFF-3B661A5AACC9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Bloody hell 12 bob !   

I started work that month, Sampson’s  foundry in malago lane, take home pay 12/6!

I started as an apprentice in 1966 and was paid approx £4 10s gross. You were exploited. 

9 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Let me know if you ever wanna sell the ticket

I wouldn’t sell it unless it was worth loads ? - you can have it.

DM me an address and give me a few days to have a good gander and I will post it to you.

41 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Great find. Does anyone know why Leeds? 

March 1966 City were returning from Middlesbrough and Fred Ford bought some local sports papers for the players to read  on the way home. An article by Don Revie in one of them stated he admired loyal players and gave as an example Bristol City's John Atyeo. When John decided he would retire, Fred remembered that article and contacted Leeds. 

Despite having played a League game on the Saturday, City's full first team played in this game on Monday 10th October and Leeds fielded their first team as well. The Linesmen were locals, but the Ref was FIFA qualified Jim Finney and as it was 1966, the World Cup was on display as well. 

The game was played on the Monday as leeds had a cup replay looming on the Wednesday.

24 minutes ago, 22A said:

March 1966 City were returning from Middlesbrough and Fred Ford bought some local sports papers for the players to read  on the way home. An article by Don Revie in one of them stated he admired loyal players and gave as an example Bristol City's John Atyeo. When John decided he would retire, Fred remembered that article and contacted Leeds. 

Despite having played a League game on the Saturday, City's full first team played in this game on Monday 10th October and Leeds fielded their first team as well. The Linesmen were locals, but the Ref was FIFA qualified Jim Finney and as it was 1966, the World Cup was on display as well. 

The game was played on the Monday as leeds had a cup replay looming on the Wednesday.

They actually played their kids second half............but what kids they were !

3 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

@slartibartfast I’m convinced it was 0-5, but happy to be corrected if memory has lapsed! Had a scrapbook with pictures from the Evening Post of Big John and Jack Charlton doing a lap of honour with the World Cup, buggered if I can find it!

Pretty sure Slarti is right. Remember the World Cup being paraded around the pitch and also City scoring.

Was only 10 at the time so I could be wrong.!!!!

38 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

@slartibartfast I’m convinced it was 0-5, but happy to be corrected if memory has lapsed! Had a scrapbook with pictures from the Evening Post of Big John and Jack Charlton doing a lap of honour with the World Cup, buggered if I can find it!

Lou Peters deffo scored, can't remember the other one .

Edit............possibly Derrick ?

2 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

So was I!

Also had a booklet that was produced for his testimonial. Atyeo did a signing in Hartcliffe, there was a  picture of the then City side on the center pages, and he signed on his picture!!!

Gave it to my son years ago will have to see if he still has it. Boring I know?

What a pity the Club museum never got off the ground. Loads of this sort of thing floating around in attics and lofts which, over time, will probably be lost for ever.

Like others, no doubt, would be more than willing to give momentos like this to the Club. Found my old yellow beanie hat the other day lurking in a drawer, plus have a fully signed photo of 70’s squad. Loads of other stuff in boxes in the attic. 

33 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

The year after, we got dicked 5-0 by a young Everton side in the LC, were you thinking of that, maybe ?

Fred Ford's last game as the previous Saturday we lost at home to Blackpool 2-4 on MotD .

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

The year after, we got dicked 5-0 by a young Everton side in the LC, were you thinking of that, maybe ?

Fred Ford's last game as the previous Saturday we lost at home to Blackpool 2-4 on MotD .

That could well be the case, I now have trouble remembering what I did yesterday! ?

Archived