IGNORED

Tannoy™

Desso

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The public address system was poor yesterday, but in all honesty how many football grounds have you been to where you have praised their system. To provide a public address system that is clear at all times in all parts of the ground is notoriously difficult to achieve. 

But before the refurb it was fine, I wonder if the acoustics have changed, it's just too echoey .

4 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

The club have been quoted on the tanoy system.  One for £50,000 , the other  £200,000 . So there is a big difference in prices .

It will pay for itself in more ticket sales for future games, for the rugby, for other events held at the Gate. 

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

But before the refurb it was fine, I wonder if the acoustics have changed, it's just too echoey .

I don’t get the echo, more muffled like underwater. It was so bad yesterday I’m wondering if the wind affects it, making the sound behave differently as you say after the ground alterations.

Sounds a stupid reason, but as the club haven’t come up within more constructive, I’m going with this ?

They need to get the entire system taken out they have issues for sure.Its either the acoustics of ground that causes the problems ie materials the stands are constructed with and design or the system isn't capable of producing the quality sound that it needs.

Dolman speakers are dreadful.

4 minutes ago, Cider Army said:

They need to get the entire system taken out they have issues for sure.Its either the acoustics of ground that causes the problems ie materials the stands are constructed with and design or the system isn't capable of producing the quality sound that it needs.

Dolman speakers are dreadful.

I used to complain about the sound system on a regular basis - I even met up with Mkelly but to no avail.just couldn’t get a sensible explanation from him.

Then earlier this season MKelly was speaker at Senior Reds and for the first time we actually found out why resolving the issue has been so bloody difficult - essentially fixing it had been out to tender and he’d received two vastly different quotes to do the same job and there was uncertainty about why the two quotes were so far apart....

What was the more expensive quote doing that as different from the cheaper one?

He added that it won’t be fixed for a while.

That was the last I heard.

Without seeing the quotes its hard to say but there could be many factors why its such a vast difference.

Personally if I was in a position I would be putting forward to have the entire system upgraded.(from amp rooms to cabling to upgraded size of speakers)

Do you think they won't be spending anything until the ground gets fully developed? Ie the Atyeo if such plans will happen?

Maybe they could put Speakers on ground level facing each stand along pitch side..I've known stadiums do this with good effect.Certainly adds to the atmosphere which the current system lacks massively.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I used to complain about the sound system on a regular basis - I even met up with Mkelly but to no avail.just couldn’t get a sensible explanation from him.

Then earlier this season MKelly was speaker at Senior Reds and for the first time we actually found out why resolving the issue has been so bloody difficult - essentially fixing it had been out to tender and he’d received two vastly different quotes to do the same job and there was uncertainty about why the two quotes were so far apart....

What was the more expensive quote doing that as different from the cheaper one?

He added that it won’t be fixed for a while.

That was the last I heard.

Without seeing the quotes its hard to say but there could be many factors why its such a vast difference.

Personally if I was in a position I would be putting forward to have the entire system upgraded.(from amp rooms to cabling to upgraded size of speakers)

Do you think they won't be spending anything until the ground gets fully developed? Ie the Atyeo if such plans will happen?

Maybe they could put Speakers on ground level facing each stand along pitch side..I've known stadiums do this with good effect.Certainly adds to the atmosphere which the current system lacks massively.

Edited 6 minutes ago by Cider Army

Edit

6 hours ago, RedM said:

I don’t get the echo, more muffled like underwater. It was so bad yesterday I’m wondering if the wind affects it, making the sound behave differently as you say after the ground alterations.

Sounds a stupid reason, but as the club haven’t come up within more constructive, I’m going with this ?

Exactly this I think the system isn't designed to with stand different conditions.(when stadium is empty when stadium is full,wind etc )

Ie Plenty of company's out there that deal with this exact thing.

Its about the install and equipment.

http://www.pel.co.uk/stadium-solutions#arena-sound-system

1. Is your system fully critical path monitored such that, in the event of a failure, an alarm is raised both in the Control Room and on the Fire Alarm Panel?
  2. Does your system comply with the dual redundancy requirements of the “BS Standard”?
  3. In the event of a Mains Supply failure, will your system still operate on Battery Standby in accordance with the “BS Standard”. (With a Standard Generator, Battery Standby is still a requirement)?
  4. Does it meet the SPL (Volume) required to evacuate the Stadium, at each stage of a match?
  5. Is it intelligible, would everyone hear announcements and, most importantly, understand the Evacuation Message?
  6. Does your system meet the STI (Speech Transmission Index) criteria for PA/VA Evacuation Systems?                                             Taken from the link would you all say our stadium complys with this above?

12 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

The club have been quoted on the tanoy system.  One for £50,000 , the other  £200,000 . So there is a big difference in prices .

Well you would go the highest but what a waste of money just repairing it.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think the reality is, the system in place is not, and never will be of any use.

The stadium company can try and improve things - as they have done without success - for the last couple of years.

It needs to be completely replaced, but can they do that? Imagine it will cost a fortune 

It can be replaced step by step depending on budget and yes it needs completely gutting out..Spending 50-200k will be money down the drain.

How about 4 people positioned in front of each stand with a loud hailer. They announce team lines up, half time results and substitutions. I know it is a bit 'Bristol Rovers' but it might work. It certainly can't be any worse. 

I also have an idea for a 'Santa Grotto' in the car park....

23 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

they might as well turn the the PA system off because it is worse than useless. However, that would be a safety issue.

Why a PA system that is inaudible is not deemed a public safety issue too is beyond me.

You would think our seemingly rather stringent SAG would be all over it- but clearly not!!

TBH £200K doesn't seem like a massive investment for a stadium PA to play to crowds of 20,000+ on a regular basis, providing the quote included an aftercare package.

Among other things, they try to play adverts over it now, and if I was one of those advertisers, I'd be asking for my money back. 

WTF is wrong with the Tannoy now?

How hard can it be to fix it - can we get the Tottenham stadium team in to have a look?

City are trying to put on HT entertainment and there was no sound in the Dolman today (some may say this is good but I want a choice whether to listen)

I particularly hate it when we can't hear how many minuted have been added on.

It's laughable. My assumption is that it wasn't working at all in the Dolman today.

I really don't mind missing that Downsy chap...but why go to the effort of creating an inspirational City historic highlights video - which looks pretty good - if none of the sound can be heard by thousands of the people in the ground?

And I have no idea how the club satisfies requirements to be able to make emergency announcements.

44 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

It's laughable. My assumption is that it wasn't working at all in the Dolman today.

I really don't mind missing that Downsy chap...but why go to the effort of creating an inspirational City historic highlights video - which looks pretty good - if none of the sound can be heard by thousands of the people in the ground?

And I have no idea how the club satisfies requirements to be able to make emergency announcements.

Completely inaudible in the Dolman today !

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

WTF is wrong with the Tannoy now?

How hard can it be to fix it - can we get the Tottenham stadium team in to have a look?

City are trying to put on HT entertainment and there was no sound in the Dolman today (some may say this is good but I want a choice whether to listen)

I particularly hate it when we can't hear how many minuted have been added on.

I'm sure we can get them, and they'll have it fixed by 2023, or 2024, or maybe 2025, but definitely sometime in the 2020s.  Probably

It got to the stage where I didn’t know who Swansea had brought on as substitutes yesterday (I was saved by the big screen for ours!) and I had no clue how much added time there was at the end of the match...

Add to that I couldn’t hear anything at half time, or the line ups beforehand. Surely a multi million pound organisation can get some speakers that actually speak?

Archived