IGNORED

Moving to Bristol and need advice

The Nest Egg

Once I graduate, the missus and I are intending to move to Bristol and start our lives in the real world. We would be looking for a 1 bed flat to rent, preferably not in an absolute ****hole and also preferably in the south of the city for reasons I hope are evident.

We would probably look at £900pcm as an absolute maximum, but would prefer a little bit less if possible. We would like an area that is reasonably quiet and accessible by bicycle without having to venture on main roads on the entire way to the city centre. Which areas do you all recommend? Also, are there any commuter towns that you would recommend? 

I would be really grateful for absolutely any information about living in the city in general, including places to live, utility providers to choose and some of the best local pubs and cycle routes, but definitely not limited to just that either. Obviously I'm going to be combing other areas of the internet to find information so if there are things that can only be learnt from living in the city for a while, I'd love to hear those too. Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Once I graduate, the missus and I are intending to move to Bristol and start our lives in the real world. We would be looking for a 1 bed flat to rent, preferably not in an absolute ****hole and also preferably in the south of the city for reasons I hope are evident.

We would probably look at £900pcm as an absolute maximum, but would prefer a little bit less if possible. We would like an area that is reasonably quiet and accessible by bicycle without having to venture on main roads on the entire way to the city centre. Which areas do you all recommend? Also, are there any commuter towns that you would recommend? 

I would be really grateful for absolutely any information about living in the city in general, including places to live, utility providers to choose and some of the best local pubs and cycle routes, but definitely not limited to just that either. Obviously I'm going to be combing other areas of the internet to find information so if there are things that can only be learnt from living in the city for a while, I'd love to hear those too. Thanks!

If you have wheels then Nailsea has the type of accodation your looking for.

Just now, Robbored said:

If you have wheels then Nailsea has the type of accodation your looking for.

I've been looking at properties in Nailsea actually and it ticks quite a few of the boxes. Can't drive yet but will be able to do so in a month, and I like the fact there's a cycle route into Bristol too. Only concern is that part of me wants to live in the city while I'm still young, but on the other hand I could probably get myself a season ticket purely on the rent I would save. Tough decisions!

1 minute ago, Newquay-Red said:

I've been looking at properties in Nailsea actually and it ticks quite a few of the boxes. Can't drive yet but will be able to do so in a month, and I like the fact there's a cycle route into Bristol too. Only concern is that part of me wants to live in the city while I'm still young, but on the other hand I could probably get myself a season ticket purely on the rent I would save. Tough decisions!

Even without wheels there’s a very useful bus route into Briz stopping  handily at Bower Ashton and an easy walk to AG.

5 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

I live in nailsea. Move to Bristol at your age. Nailsea when you settle down. Bedminster! 

18 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

You actually want to move from Cornwall to Bristol??

:grr:

3 hours ago, ... said:

You actually want to move from Cornwall to Bristol??

:grr:

It's what pretty much every 22 year old Cornish graduate does. There's just no opportunities there whatsoever and I've had my share of living in small towns, great to grow up in but I want to live in the city at least for a bit; especially if I snag a good grad scheme

21 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Or try Backwell. Just next to Nailsea, but nicer and less of a risk you will bump into Robbored!

There is a non-road cycle path from Backwell to Bristol, I believe. 

On 13/01/2019 at 14:47, Newquay-Red said:

It's what pretty much every 22 year old Cornish graduate does. There's just no opportunities there whatsoever and I've had my share of living in small towns, great to grow up in but I want to live in the city at least for a bit; especially if I snag a good grad scheme

My friend: do NOT move from Cornwall to Bristol.

Don't do it.

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Has to be BS3! So easy to get into town by cycling or walking and the Bars and Restaurants of North St are staggering distance. I love it here! 

Stop encouraging this person. He will just spend the next forty years pining for Cornwall.

4 minutes ago, ... said:

Stop encouraging this person. He will just spend the next forty years pining for Cornwall.

Cornwall is bloody lovely I’ll give you that, but very few jobs around mean anyone who’d rather not work in tourism needs to leave. Anyway with a fair wind you can do Bristol to Newquay in 3hrs easy. 

15 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Cornwall is bloody lovely I’ll give you that, but very few jobs around mean anyone who’d rather not work in tourism needs to leave. Anyway with a fair wind you can do Bristol to Newquay in 3hrs easy. 

Money is not everything.

Lots of folk would give at least one bollock to live in Cornwall.

All I is sayin' is its a lot nicer environment than Bristol. If you consider the extortionate property prices around Bristol, then on balance he should stay in Cornwall.

There are some nice - award winning I believe, apartments/flats in the developments near the Barley Mow - behind Temple Meads and right on Bristol to Bath cycle track (are you real ale person ‘cause if you are it’s brilliant for that) in St Phillips, the postcode for the area is BS2 0LF

https://www.bristolbeerfactory.co.uk/barley-mow

On 15/01/2019 at 09:37, ... said:

Money is not everything.

Lots of folk would give at least one bollock to live in Cornwall.

All I is sayin' is its a lot nicer environment than Bristol. If you consider the extortionate property prices around Bristol, then on balance he should stay in Cornwall.

Out of interest, have you ever lived in Cornwall?

3 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

I know Cornwall isn't the best for the aspirant professionals but personally I'd go for a half way house in Exeter rather than the big leap to Bristol...not much of a football team but if you could live with rugby?

I have lived in Exeter for the last three years as I go to uni here. Love the place but would probably like to move somewhere else for a bit for a change. Still looking at roles around Devon though despite that completely betraying my roots. The plan is to just go somewhere in the South (excluding East Anglia and the London commuter belt), wherever a suitable job is really

Archived