IGNORED

Moving to Bristol and need advice

The Nest Egg

6 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

I have lived in Exeter for the last three years as I go to uni here. Love the place but would probably like to move somewhere else for a bit for a change. Still looking at roles around Devon though despite that completely betraying my roots. The plan is to just go somewhere in the South (excluding East Anglia and the London commuter belt), wherever a suitable job is really

Now I understand...on that basis Bristol probably is the best place for you and you should look for something in the Cotham, Redland, Whiteladies Road area.

8 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Surely if you want the excitement of living in a big City, London is the best place to have a few years.

Having lived on Brompton Road I can testify it's a great place to live but it is a very large place, everywhere is very expensive without being anything like as agreeable as Knightsbridge. Living in somewhere like Merton would be very much more expensive than Bristol, worse traffic and no advantages.

15 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Surely if you want the excitement of living in a big City, London is the best place to have a few years.

Would be a bit too much for me personally. I know quite a few friends and acquaintances from Cornwall who have tried living in London and they've really not taken to it whatsoever. l I enjoy visiting London but find it overwhelming by the end of my visit, and find that the commuting is a whole new level of depressing. Bristol seems a bit more cycle-friendly, nearer the countryside and more conducive to my values. An annoying bit of being Cornish is that you need a bit of countryside nearby, whether you like it or not!

• Admin

Bristol is worse than London for commuting.  The underground, whilst busy, makes travelling around London a doddle.  Bristol has horrendous traffic, cycling is no fun at all, the piss poor cycle lanes are patchy, run out in some of the most congested areas. Whilst it might be OK at your age! Bristol is very hilly, making cycling difficult for many, even if it wasn’t for taking your life in your hands every time you venture into the inadequate, overcrowded roads.

If you are looking at working in central Bristol, try and live within walking distance of work, that’s about the only bearable way to get round, either that or live further out near a train station and work within walking distance of both stations. (Home and work).

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:37, ... said:

Money is not everything.

Lots of folk would give at least one bollock to live in Cornwall.

All I is sayin' is its a lot nicer environment than Bristol. If you consider the extortionate property prices around Bristol, then on balance he should stay in Cornwall.

Granted I don't live in Cornwall, but I would say most people think Devon is comparable (in my opinion, superior).

As a young professional in my early 20s it's not great down here. I am actively looking to move to London, and Bristol would be my second choice. I can completely understand @Newquay-Red's rationale.

Good luck with it mate

20 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

I know Cornwall isn't the best for the aspirant professionals but personally I'd go for a half way house in Exeter rather than the big leap to Bristol...not much of a football team but if you could live with rugby?

Exeter is pretty boring too - from someone who has lived there all their life and is in their 20s.

16 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Would be a bit too much for me personally. I know quite a few friends and acquaintances from Cornwall who have tried living in London and they've really not taken to it whatsoever. l I enjoy visiting London but find it overwhelming by the end of my visit, and find that the commuting is a whole new level of depressing. Bristol seems a bit more cycle-friendly, nearer the countryside and more conducive to my values. An annoying bit of being Cornish is that you need a bit of countryside nearby, whether you like it or not!

wherever you go I wish you luck mate

On 15/01/2019 at 19:38, Red DNA said:

There are some nice - award winning I believe, apartments/flats in the developments near the Barley Mow - behind Temple Meads and right on Bristol to Bath cycle track (are you real ale person ‘cause if you are it’s brilliant for that) in St Phillips, the postcode for the area is BS2 0LF

https://www.bristolbeerfactory.co.uk/barley-mow

Prostitutes on tap there too ................. so I have been told.

I’d stop off at Exeter. 

Loads of ‘reds’ around the Exeter area so you’ll be able to have a decent discussion about football and associate with some classy people. Also benefit from reducing the risk of any contact with a Sag and sighting Dismalground.

15 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

I’d stop off at Exeter. 

Loads of ‘reds’ around the Exeter area so you’ll be able to have a decent discussion about football and associate with some classy people. Also benefit from reducing the risk of any contact with a Sag and sighting Dismalground.

As an Exeter 'red' can't say I've bumped into another BCFC fan. The London exiles are vocal on here and meet up at pubs when we're on TV - do the Exe lot do the same?

On 18/01/2019 at 10:24, devoncider said:

As an Exeter 'red' can't say I've bumped into another BCFC fan. The London exiles are vocal on here and meet up at pubs when we're on TV - do the Exe lot do the same?

Not to my knowledge. We’re far more reserved than the London lot!

On 17/01/2019 at 17:35, ... said:

Prostitutes on tap there too ................. so I have been told.

Prostitutes on tap at the Barley Mow? You’ve obviously never been there.

There are a couple of brothels left in the Old Market area but other than that the whole area is up and coming. It’s all artisan bakeries, theatres and hipster pubs. 

Except for the Long Bar of course. 

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Prostitutes on tap at the Barley Mow? You’ve obviously never been there.

There are a couple of brothels left in the Old Market area but other than that the whole area is up and coming. It’s all artisan bakeries, theatres and hipster pubs. 

Except for the Long Bar of course. 

Too much detail.

On 12/01/2019 at 16:59, Newquay-Red said:

Once I graduate, the missus and I are intending to move to Bristol and start our lives in the real world. We would be looking for a 1 bed flat to rent, preferably not in an absolute ****hole and also preferably in the south of the city for reasons I hope are evident.

We would probably look at £900pcm as an absolute maximum, but would prefer a little bit less if possible. We would like an area that is reasonably quiet and accessible by bicycle without having to venture on main roads on the entire way to the city centre. Which areas do you all recommend? Also, are there any commuter towns that you would recommend? 

I would be really grateful for absolutely any information about living in the city in general, including places to live, utility providers to choose and some of the best local pubs and cycle routes, but definitely not limited to just that either. Obviously I'm going to be combing other areas of the internet to find information so if there are things that can only be learnt from living in the city for a while, I'd love to hear those too. Thanks!

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/50212341?search_identifier=04f32d313bda4a013e768bc1b3247401

This one's just been advertised, well within your price ceiling and in walking distance of AG 'to boot'!

Check out the Windmill Hill area - just south of Bedminster. Less than 30 mins walk from AG.

My daughter now lives there. Property prices and rents are reasonable.

She rents one of her rooms on airbnb if you wanted to stay there for a short while.

If interested, PM me and I will put you in touch with her.

Archived