IGNORED

Substitutions

JBFC II

The other thing that may have created the initial delay in the substitutions being made yesterday was that Jack Hunt 'pulled up' when following a break into our area. He seemed uncomfortable for a while after. It may have been LJ was waiting to see if he ran it off before making the changes as if they were made and then Hunt couldn't continue we would have been more limited.

11 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Yep, I felt really comfortable at HT yesterday, we had quite a few chances in the 1st half and should have been ahead. I know that when we attack the SS we up our performance, I think that's a combination of attacking the SS and our fitness levels vs the away teams fitness levels. 

Particularly the first bit, had a feeling during halftime that when we were playing towards that end it would improve- playing towards the away fans, let alone 500 in a stand of 4.2k or thereabouts, tucked up in the top half of that stand- well it will inspire no-one.Good thing is it doesn't help the opposition either which is the most important thing.

Some of the away followings lately actually remind me of League One days in the 2000's, bit bigger maybe but nothing massive- Norwich maybe the last decent one?

On 12/01/2019 at 18:06, Numero Uno said:

If he can’t take being hooked for handing Bolton their goal today with yet another example of casual play then he isn’t a £10m left back. I would leave him out of the starting XI next week too.

I was just going to make that point too. I didn’t hear the radio phone in @Robboredmentions, but I doubt if LJ is worried about Kelly’s morale at that moment. Not for the first time he has been subbed shortly after making an avoidable mistake, won’t be surprised to see him have to fight for his place back again, especially if we are considering buying DaSilva.

People around me couldn’t work out Kelly today, not his best game and not the toughest opposition either. Lazy, casual or head elsewhere thinking he has already made it were a few of the comments. 

This might be harsh but he won’t rise to the level he has potential for unless he hears this and worse. It’s how he moves forward after this will show the character he has or hasn’t got.

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

I was just going to make that point too. I didn’t hear the radio phone in @Robboredmentions, but I doubt if LJ is worried about Kelly’s morale at that moment. Not for the first time he has been subbed shortly after making an avoidable mistake, won’t be surprised to see him have to fight for his place back again, especially if we are considering buying DaSilva.

People around me couldn’t work out Kelly today, not his best game and not the toughest opposition either. Lazy, casual or head elsewhere thinking he has already made it were a few of the comments. 

This might be harsh but he won’t rise to the level he has potential for unless he hears this and worse. It’s how he moves forward after this will show the character he has or hasn’t got.

How many of us were mature at 20? We might of thought we were grown up but in reality we were just kids with adult desires.

Kelly fits into that perfectly and his shoddy performance against Bolton highlighted that. Cocky and casual, he eventually got caught out through his lackadaisical attitude.

No doubt LJ will have something to say about that.

The good news is that Kelly’s error will no doubt teach him that you can’t take liberties in professional football.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How many of us were mature at 20? We might of thought we were grown up but in reality we were just kids with adult desires.

Kelly fits into that perfectly and his shoddy performance against Bolton highlighted that. Cocky and casual, he eventually got caught out through his lackadaisical attitude.

The good news is that Kelly’s error will no doubt teach him that you can’t take liberties in professional football.

I agree. It’s all part of the learning process, I’m not knocking him for that. But it’s not the first time, and when your mistakes impact on others they need to be addressed as you say. Whether it’s losing a game of football, no not life or death but could cost thousands or millions in the long run.

To be fair he isn’t learning in the world or the surroundings that most 20 year olds find themselves. He chose to be a professional player and he had to take the responsibilities that go with that, to himself, his teammates, the club and the fans. I’m sure he has learnt from his casual approach.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Agree with that and part of his learning process is that Managers (both those like Johnson who don’t need much to go wrong before sections of the fan base get on their back and those at the top like Klopp whose brief is to deliver trophies) get the hump and substitute you when you gift a goal to a very limited opposition like Bolton who were barely, at best, trying to score on Saturday. Such casualness could have cost us three relatively straightforward points.

It’s all part of the toughening up process and he’ll be a better player for it.

I thought the subs were spot on, but why did LJ stutter again? Palmer was stripped and ready on 60, but actually had put his warm up vest on again when Bolton scored.  

Second time in recent history we shipped a goal while a player waited more than 5 minutes to be sent on - tinkerman upsetting things!

Kelly, he did need to give way to Da Silva, BUT it should not have been done the way it was - yes he did mess up, but LJ’s man management slipped into the blame game again, Kelly’s concentration was way off and he should have been taken off much earlier!

18 hours ago, dave36 said:

I thought the subs were spot on, but why did LJ stutter again? Palmer was stripped and ready on 60, but actually had put his warm up vest on again when Bolton scored.  

Second time in recent history we shipped a goal while a player waited more than 5 minutes to be sent on - tinkerman upsetting things!

Kelly, he did need to give way to Da Silva, BUT it should not have been done the way it was - yes he did mess up, but LJ’s man management slipped into the blame game again, Kelly’s concentration was way off and he should have been taken off much earlier!

Your talking as if we could all see Bolton's goal coming. Your talking in hindsight. Their goal came completely out of the blue.

46 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Your talking as if we could all see Bolton's goal coming. Your talking in hindsight. Their goal came completely out of the blue.

Yes it was, concentration gone out of the window, player ready to come on, 4th official board ready and once again LJ hesitates- just like he did a couple of weeks ago, same result on both occasions

23 hours ago, dave36 said:

"Tinkerman" for not making a change?

Bizarre bit of logic there and an obvious attempt to get any dig in at Johnson.

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

"Tinkerman" for not making a change?

Bizarre bit of logic there and an obvious attempt to get any dig in at Johnson.

I suppose LJ did not tell Palmer to get ready! And the official was not handed his slip and LJ told Palmer to not put the warm up bib back on and sit down again!

it is not pure stupidity to have a player stripped and warmed up ready to come on for so long - if that isn’t stupid tinkering what is it?

2 minutes ago, dave36 said:

It is not pure stupidity to have a player stripped and warmed up ready to come on for so long - if that isn’t stupid tinkering what is it?

Perhaps one of the players had a slight knock, and they were waiting to see if he would recover? 

There's many reasons why a substitution could be delayed.

Either way, the substitutions worked incredibly well, so I really don't think you have a leg to stand on in this discussion. 

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

I suppose LJ did not tell Palmer to get ready! And the official was not handed his slip and LJ told Palmer to not put the warm up bib back on and sit down again!

it is not pure stupidity to have a player stripped and warmed up ready to come on for so long - if that isn’t stupid tinkering what is it?

First paragraph- no one suggested LJ hadn't said to Palmer to get ready, so you've had a mini rant over nothing there.

Second paragraph- you are aware people can change their minds aren't you?

You also realise that by not altering the players on the pitch, things cannot have been "tinkered" with? Not changing the parts of something is the opposite of tinkering.

Johnson isn't the first manager to delay a sub- Redknapp did it about 5 times in the last game of the season against us when managing Birmingham. And he won't be the last, it's not even that uncommon.

Oh, and changing your mind isn't "tinkering" either.

Archived