Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Up The City!

Hawk Eye

Kinda funny that we were discussing about it the other week in here and about the last time it was used at the Gate.

Was it me or did it seem like an absolute age for the ref to confirm the goal? Is it not ment to be within 1 second?

It would be much better if the graphic could be shown on the screen, has the graphic been released,?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My seat is right in line with the goal.  Over by a good foot, but it takes me a while to text the ref. 😝

And some , I would have said !

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Whole ball Bob!!!!

Maybe it’s my varifocals 🧐

Totally confident it was well over but I did think for a horrible second ‘We Do use VAR ,.......don’t we ......🙄

We will never know if Lino would have given it 

• Like 1

The Lino didn’t give it as he didn’t raise his flag at all. It was the ref’s watch that beeped due to Goal Line Tech not VAR as such. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

The Lino didn’t give it as he didn’t raise his flag at all. It was the ref’s watch that beeped due to Goal Line Tech not VAR as such. 

Lino’s won’t raise there flag anymore, it’s all left to GLT

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe it’s my varifocals 🧐

Totally confident it was well over but I did think for a horrible second ‘We Do use VAR ,.......don’t we ......🙄

We will never know if Lino would have given it 

Lino gave a little look to the ref as he was making way back to halfway line....although it might’ve helped us fans if he had flagged!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lino gave a little look to the ref as he was making way back to halfway line....although it might’ve helped us fans if he had flagged!

No'point in them flagging anymore , as Jason highlighted

Good use of technology , despite the long pause

• Like 2

Didn't think there was a terribly long delay in the ref's watch pinging. Got the right decision, which is the main thing. Also recall seeing a technician with a ball on the goalline recently, communicating by radio to (presumably) the system upstairs.

23 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No'point in them flagging anymore , as Jason highlighted

Good use of technology , despite the long pause

I believe they have been advised not to raise their flag in such situations

Yesterday morning the GDS in the south stand goal was being recalibrated by a bloke tediously and countlessly stepping over the goal line. Seems as tho his efforts weren’t in vain

• Like 1

On 12/01/2019 at 18:33, Cardy said:

Perhaps the GLT 'beep' of the ref's watch could be broadcast over the public address system so that we can all hear it? Oh, hang on ...

• Like 2

I thought it was pretty quick,  just seems like an age.

I must admit,  I'm sat halfway between goal line and halfway in lower Lansdown and although I was shouting goal I certainly wasn't as sure as when it happened earlier this season. Then I could see it was well over but didn't know we GLT and was shouting like a mad man 

As @Davefevs said, the whole ball has to be over, 1 cm touching the line is no goal.

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I must admit,  I'm sat halfway between goal line and halfway in lower Lansdown and although I was shouting goal I certainly wasn't as sure as when it happened earlier this season. Then I could see it was well over but didn't know we GLT and was shouting like a mad man 

As @Davefevs said, the whole ball has to be over, 1 cm touching the line is no goal.

I’m dead level with goal-line up in A4.  Whole of ball a foot over line.

This us my view (not yesterday).

6E5C050F-37D2-42E1-8A18-0B52FD74586E.thumb.jpeg.67084497b8e834ae95055aebab22a4d0.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

3.76 seconds from time ball crosses line to referees whistle to signal goal 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sometimes it's difficult to see what's happening if you are only looking at what the ball did but in this case their defender was well back over the line and the ball hit him on the chest, so it should have been clear to the ref what happened without the technology.

Edited by southvillekiddy

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think its a long time but my missus disagrees.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Doesn't he get notified in under a second? 

I know 3.76 isn't a lot but it was long enough to cause a stuttered celebration.

Maybe a better way to do it is to have the same notification that is sent to the refs watch show up on the big screens? Of course that would need some regulation change but seems sensible.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m dead level with goal-line up in A4.  Whole of ball a foot over line.

This us my view (not yesterday).

6E5C050F-37D2-42E1-8A18-0B52FD74586E.thumb.jpeg.67084497b8e834ae95055aebab22a4d0.jpeg

You must be sat by the GLT camera, that is as good as it gets for goal line action. 

At least this time I knew to look at the ref and not just stand shouting like a maniac

23 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Sometimes it's difficult to see what's happening if you are only looking at what the ball did but in this case their defender was well back over the line and the ball hit him on the chest, so it should have been clear to the ref what happened without the technology.

Disagree. I thought the goal the other night was clear (Liverpool was it?) and 11mm of the ball was not over the line.

Looking at the recent pictures I cannot tell if the ball strikes that defender in the chest that 100% of the ball would have crossed the line albeit it looks likely.

Wait and use the technology. What if the ref or linesman was like “oh yeah that is in“, gives it and the watch does not go off - we in the stands and players on pitch would be going bat-shit if he suddenly reversed the decision !!

Edited by Neo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

You must be sat by the GLT camera, that is as good as it gets for goal line action. 

At least this time I knew to look at the ref and not just stand shouting like a maniac

The previous system installed for last season’s cup games was directly above Joe’s seat.  I think they use “triangulation” equipment behind the goal now.  Happy to be corrected.

23 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It looked over from my seat in S21 but I think without GLT it might well have not been given.

Kasey`s change of mood from annoyance to elation was well worth the wait though!

Right, I did like his celebration too, it was just like he was an established team member.  Well done GLT!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The previous system installed for last season’s cup games was directly above Joe’s seat.  I think they use “triangulation” equipment behind the goal now.  Happy to be corrected.

We’ve had GLT since the start of last season.

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Maybe it was season before then...because they were still installing it when we got to our seats!  Is GLT the triangulation system?

Edited by Davefevs

5 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Yes, was start of last season, just found my tweet.

the other system must’ve been 16/17 season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Typically, Bolton's media called it a controversial call. Was it ****...........it was GLT, or hasn't that got oop north yet ?

Have they got nets up there yet?

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, was start of last season, just found my tweet.

the other system must’ve been 16/17 season.

Wasn’t it used for a pato free kick last season that bounced down off the bar ? 

• Like 1

On 12/01/2019 at 19:01, Erithacus said:

Didn't think there was a terribly long delay in the ref's watch pinging. Got the right decision, which is the main thing. Also recall seeing a technician with a ball on the goalline recently, communicating by radio to (presumably) the system upstairs.

they do that frequently before games to check the tech - the bloke with the radio basically holds a ball around and over the line to check it registers correctly

50 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Typically, Bolton's media called it a controversial call. Was it ****...........it was GLT, or hasn't that got oop north yet ?

I think that was a parody Twitter account.

14 hours ago, Neo said:

Disagree. I thought the goal the other night was clear (Liverpool was it?) and 11mm of the ball was not over the line.

Looking at the recent pictures I cannot tell if the ball strikes that defender in the chest that 100% of the ball would have crossed the line albeit it looks likely.

Wait and use the technology. What if the ref or linesman was like “oh yeah that is in“, gives it and the watch does not go off - we in the stands and players on pitch would be going bat-shit if he suddenly reversed the decision !!

Thing is mate even before I saw the Evening Post picture above I was going on the position of the defenders feet, which were well behind the goal line. So my point remains, if we were seeing just the ball pinging about it's more difficult to judge where it is in space in relation to the goal line than if it's near or in this case touching a player who is behind the line. I do agree however that the technology must be used.

Edited by southvillekiddy

16 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

I believe they have been advised not to raise their flag in such situations

The linesman held his arm out straight, I assumed it was his way of indicating his watch had shown it was a goal?

16 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

At the time it seemed like an age, but on the highlights it didn't seem as long

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

This picture from the Post surely proves beyond doubt.

0_JMP_Bristol_City_v_Bolton_RT0597.jpg

That's a "Spot the ball" competition photo right there!  I like Taylor's concentration.

17 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Have they got nets up there yet?

17 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Nope, still tape across the two uprights ! :laugh:

Fair play to them for that,  they've clearly progressed from using  a couple of Fred Dibnahs old cloth caps,  they really shouldn't tie whippets to the new uprights though..  not nice for goalies diving onto warm dog pee puddles. Progress all the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thing is mate even before I saw the Evening Post picture above I was going on the position of the defenders feet, which were well behind the goal line. So my point remains, if we were seeing just the ball pinging about it's more difficult to judge where it is in space in relation to the goal line than if it's near or in this case touching a player who is behind the line. I do agree however that the technology must be used.

Indeed, and as you stated in an earlier post:

'....but in this case their defender was well back over the line and the ball hit him on the chest, so it should have been clear to the ref what happened without the technology.'

Although, consider womens football, especially with, e.g. Jordan in your defence. 

17 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

'....but in this case their defender was well back over the line and the ball hit him on the chest, so it should have been clear to the ref what happened without the technology.'

Although, consider womens football, especially with, e.g. Jordan in your defence. 

Tut, tut. A bit saucy there Phil!

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

**Although, consider womens football, especially with, e.g. Jordan in your defence. 

**Good  'points'  well made Phil. 

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:51, PHILINFRANCE said:

Also, how could the technology distinguish between the ball crossing the line and something of a similar shape, size and consistency doing the same?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Also, how could the technology distinguish between the ball crossing the line and something of a similar shape, size and consistency doing the same?

There’s a chip in the ball

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not with the hawk eye system. It’s done with 6 cameras that use triangulation to locate the ball. No chip to be seen.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is not. All done via cameras.

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Not with the hawk eye system. It’s done with 6 cameras that use triangulation to locate the ball. No chip to be seen.

Beat me to it!

• Thanks 1