IGNORED

Kasey Palmer debut

Davefevs

It was the sort of debut we often see players for other teams get, so rarely happens for us. Played with a smile on his face, and did you see how happy he was to score? Already has a song, must be the quickest ever!

The fans like him, that’s half the battle for any player. Made an effort to acknowledge the singers at the end too. 

I want more of this, it felt good!

47 minutes ago, spudski said:

With the way the loan system is moving, and teams no longer being able to hold onto so many players, I can see Chelsea and others having to offload a fair amount.

Would love to see Kalas and Da Silva stay...and Palmer if he did well.

Just wages I guess.

If /when fifa change the rule , won’t it bring permitted players on loan down to 6-8 per club? If that is the case and with Chelsea having 40 out on loan there’s going to be a lot of players leaving . Although they'll probably bring it in over a couple of years. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

If /when fifa change the rule , won’t it bring permitted players on loan down to 6-8 per club? If that is the case and with Chelsea having 40 out on loan there’s going to be a lot of players leaving . Although they'll probably bring it in over a couple of years. 

Assuming the rules aren’t age based, e.g. only affect players over say 23, then Chelsea are gonna have to shift a lot.

Do we try to pre-empt this and band Chelsea sensible offers knowing what’s around the corner?

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming the rules aren’t age based, e.g. only affect players over say 23, then Chelsea are gonna have to shift a lot.

Do we try to pre-empt this and band Chelsea sensible offers knowing what’s around the corner?

This is why I expected them to sell Tammy in this window. Depending on how tough the rules are they could find themselves in a buyer's market and lose money by delaying.

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t see another thread.

Gave us exactly what we needed:

• gets in the box
  • wants the ball
  • happy to compete in challenges
  • that little bit of pace (that Pato lacks) to get away from his marker

probably lots of other things too.  Pato did ok today, but no way he would be heading in from 5 yards.

One thing Dave, he's a little more direct than Paterson . Pato spins a lot and changes direction, then goes back and starts again. Palmer ( on the cameo yesterday) seems to want to head for goal and get/create chances. Very early for opinions really, but looked nothing like the description from certain Blackburn fans, lazy and watching the game pass him by. Looked keen, eager and enthusiastic , look forward to him proving to be a real asset .

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

One thing Dave, he's a little more direct than Paterson . Pato spins a lot and changes direction, then goes back and starts again. Palmer ( on the cameo yesterday) seems to want to head for goal and get/create chances. Very early for opinions really, but looked nothing like the description from certain Blackburn fans, lazy and watching the game pass him by. Looked keen, eager and enthusiastic , look forward to him proving to be a real asset .

Yep, yep and yep ?

4 hours ago, RedM said:

It was the sort of debut we often see players for other teams get, so rarely happens for us. Played with a smile on his face, and did you see how happy he was to score? Already has a song, must be the quickest ever!

The fans like him, that’s half the battle for any player. Made an effort to acknowledge the singers at the end too. 

I want more of this, it felt good!

For giving him stick earlier in the season! :rofl2br::hug:

57 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

His first thought does seem to be get forward with the ball which was refreshing to see. I don`t think we can read too much into his time at Blackburn as he was being played out of position - he was never going to get in ahead of Bradley Dack in his preferred one. Let`s just hope we see the KP that was at Huddersfield and Derby which on first impressions it looks like we may do.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think we can read too much into his time at Blackburn as he was being played out of position

Yep, had that conversation in the pub before the game , great start for the lad but , yes very early to judge. The goal on debut has to give him a real lift and give him confidence. 

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

His first thought does seem to be get forward with the ball which was refreshing to see. I don`t think we can read too much into his time at Blackburn as he was being played out of position - he was never going to get in ahead of Bradley Dack in his preferred one. Let`s just hope we see the KP that was at Huddersfield and Derby which on first impressions it looks like we may do.

Agree.  The acid test for me was would he get into the box, that would be the differentiator from Pato in terms of maybe getting on the end of things and mean Diedhiou wouldn’t be responsible for everything inside the penalty area.

Yes - wa the answer....no way Pato would be heading in from 5 yards.  There was also a bit in the box with a Diedhiou where he backheeled one, but Fam wasn’t exoecting it.

Outdide the box, a shot deflected wide, a sprayed ball out to Matty....plus hacked down 4 or 5 times.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep, had that conversation in the pub before the game , great start for the lad but , yes very early to judge. The goal on debut has to give him a real lift and give him confidence. 

That is exactly the player he is though.

But proof will be how regularly he does it.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  The acid test for me was would he get into the box, that would be the differentiator from Pato in terms of maybe getting on the end of things and mean Diedhiou wouldn’t be responsible for everything inside the penalty area.

Yes - wa the answer....no way Pato would be heading in from 5 yards.  There was also a bit in the box with a Diedhiou where he backheeled one, but Fam wasn’t exoecting it.

Outdide the box, a shot deflected wide, a sprayed ball out to Matty....plus hacked down 4 or 5 times.

That is exactly the player he is though.

But proof will be how regularly he does it.

I see him as an impact sub for the next month or so, Pato suits LJ's solid team set up so I don't see him starting any time soon. Definitely gives us another option. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paterson moved wide for Palmer to start some time in the future.

7 hours ago, spudski said:

What's the likelihood of being able to sign him if he does well? Wages etc?

If we buy him do we get one free as well? Tesco do it on shower gel, can’t see why Chelsea can’t throw kalas in if we buy Palmer 

I’m not surprised to read this.

I feel like there is a bit of a change with attitude of Chelsea youngsters now. 

They’ve seen the pattern of Chelsea hoarding youth players and I’m sure they hope that they’ll make it in the first team, but the success rate is so low.

So surely as more and more have loan after loan, never settling anywhere, you get into your twenties and ask, is it about football or money? How long can I keep doing this?

If you want to really progress - you have to seriously consider leaving Chelsea. I’m sure we are one of a number of options now for players who might see us as a stepping stone to the premier league again, ala Bryan and Reid.

I believe Kalas is on just over 20k pw and Palmer about 20k pw. Da Silva would be less I imagine, potentially a fair bit. He is most likely financially to join us IMO. Palmer possible but would be a top earner; so we’d need to see that on the pitch from him. Kalas - well pay cut or we up our wage ceiling.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

15474833342312247471187689138747.jpg

Did he actually say that?  The interview’s I heard we’re a bit less committal than the above.  It was more, we talked, but nothing agreed.  That is at least a sign of willingness to think about it.

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

They’ve seen the pattern of Chelsea hoarding youth players and I’m sure they hope that they’ll make it in the first team, but the success rate is so low.

So surely as more and more have loan after loan, never settling anywhere, you get into your twenties and ask, is it about football or money? How long can I keep doing this?

If you want to really progress - you have to seriously consider leaving Chelsea. I’m sure we are one of a number of options now for players who might see us as a stepping stone to the premier league again, ala Bryan and Reid.

I believe Kalas is on just over 20k pw and Palmer about 20k pw. Da Silva would be less I imagine, potentially a fair bit. He is most likely financially to join us IMO. Palmer possible but would be a top earner; so we’d need to see that on the pitch from him. Kalas - well pay cut or we up our wage ceiling.

If those figures are right, then assuming Kalas continues his form, you pay it.  If Palmer is the missing link (I think / I hope he is), you pay it.  If Kelly goes, you get Dasilva, based on potential.  Your LB alternative / back-up depends on Pring’s readiness....might be a season too soon?

All if the above subject to sensible fees, and of course willingness of players to come.

There are other players in the squad currently who you could trim to balance wage bill.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did he actually say that?  The interview’s I heard we’re a bit less committal than the above.  It was more, we talked, but nothing agreed.  That is at least a sign of willingness to think about it.

If those figures are right, then assuming Kalas continues his form, you pay it.  If Palmer is the missing link (I think / I hope he is), you pay it.  If Kelly goes, you get Dasilva, based on potential.  Your LB alternative / back-up depends on Pring’s readiness....might be a season too soon?

All if the above subject to sensible fees, and of course willingness of players to come.

There are other players in the squad currently who you could trim to balance wage bill.

Must admit I was a bit surprised when I read it, especially as nothing had been mentioned elsewhere (that I have read/heard). It's been put as a quote though, so you presume so....

Probably realises that in all likelyhood he is never going to get a chance at Chelsea, and needs to move on permanently soon otherwise his career is going to go nowhere. 

We know he has spoken to Tammy before moving, and he absolutely loved it down here. Will also have spoken to Da Silva and Kalas as well (presumably), and they seem fairly content so far. We also have a good reputation at the moment for playing young players. If nothing else a move here will put him in the shop window until a bigger club comes along, unless of course he fires us into the Prem in the meantime!!

Win win really.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Must admit I was a bit surprised when I read it, especially as nothing had been mentioned elsewhere (that I have read/heard). It's been put as a quote though, so you presume so....

Probably realises that in all likelyhood he is never going to get a chance at Chelsea, and needs to move on permanently soon otherwise his career is going to go nowhere. 

We know he has spoken to Tammy before moving, and he absolutely loved it down here. Will also have spoken to Da Silva and Kalas as well (presumably), and they seem fairly content so far. We also have a good reputation at the moment for playing young players. If nothing else a move here will put him in the shop window until a bigger club comes along, unless of course he fires us into the Prem in the meantime!!

Win win really.

If you listen to his audio interview for written press there’s some serious poetic licence there

He said it had been mentioned but it was a loan and he just wanted to concentrate and to do well and what happens , happens etc

Predictably. He didn’t say no chance but he didn’t say it’s likely either 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Kalas is on £40k we’re paying £15k of it 

He looks exactly the sort of player we need - replacement for Reid - able to link midfield to attack, good awareness, ability to sniff out tap ins, willingness to shoot when there's a sniff of a chance.  Massive upgrade on Paterson who has his pluses, but doesn't make things happen in the box

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Kalas is on £40k we’re paying £15k of it 

Do you know that for sure? I understood he was on 1.2m a year. 

Was reported on around 15k a week before he signed new deals in 2015, then 2018 (four years?).

Would be surprised if he has leapt to 40k a week (that's what they pay Zappacosta), but maybe he did with his latest four year deal.

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Do you know that for sure? I understood he was on 1.2m a year. 

Was reported on around 15k a week before he signed new deals in 2015, then 2018 (four years?).

Would be surprised if he has leapt to 40k a week (that's what they pay Zappacosta), but maybe he did with his latest four year deal.

I’m never told anything and 100% not itk . This however came from someone that should know , I respect and isn’t a blabbermouth . 

Archived