Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JasonM88

Charity Collecters

I fully understand what a good job these people do, however, shaking a money collecting bucket quite violently will not only annoy people, but is also illegal. These people need to be reminded of there responsibilities as collecters. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Aubergine 11

Timing is everything. I done all my change in the first one. Second one went dry. 

Edited by glynriley

6 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I fully understand what a good job these people do, however, shaking a money collecting bucket quite violently will not only annoy people, but is also illegal. These people need to be reminded of there responsibilities as collecters. 

It's not illegal mate.

Probably well meaning volunteers who are not aware of the etiquette required. If the shaking of buckets, violently or gently,  is now not the correct thing to do, then the club, charities involved, and our stewards need to be aware and inform people.

How times change.

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Get a grip... Today they were collecting for a young carer's charity. Worth every penny.

Well said

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

It's not illegal mate.

I think you’ll find it is .... I may be wrong - and perhaps things have changed recently,  but a few years ago when I was involved in a similar activity we were clearly told that it was not allowed to shake a bucket to attract attention to the collection as this could be construed as intimidation. 

10 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Get a grip... Today they were collecting for a young carer's charity. Worth every penny.

After a google search it appears that you’ll get more money from a polite approach rather that aggressively shaking a bucket 

• Aubergine 3

4 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I think you’ll find it is .... I may be wrong - and perhaps things have changed recently,  but a few years ago when I was involved in a similar activity we were clearly told that it was not allowed to shake a bucket to attract attention to the collection as this could be construed as intimidation. 

I think you will find that because the buckets have lids on, the rules change.

Bonkers I know, but I am fairly sure the open/closed bucket thing, is in fact 's thing'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

It isn't illegal.  Several charities have a policy not to shake the bucket but it is not illegal.  Shaking it in someone's face would be but shaking per se is not illegal.

Edited by Drew Peacock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

After a google search it appears that you’ll get more money from a polite approach rather that aggressively shaking a bucket 

You obviously have no idea how important it is to raise money for young carer's do you? I would be shaking the bucket aggressively if I can see people walk past paying £30 to watch football and £20 on beer and food but won't put 50p in a charity bucket. Shame on you!

• Like 4
  • Aubergine 1

27 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

What was the particular problem today? Obviously shaking buckets, but was it much more than usual or were you in a different place etc? I’m asking as the club allows charity collections for every league game, why were these so different? 

If 100% went to the charity I'm all for it...having had a friend who set up a charity business, and employed street charity workers, he told me how a lot of these 'businesses' work. He died a millionaire.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

If 100% went to the charity I'm all for it...having had a friend who set up a charity business, and employed street charity workers, he told me how a lot of these 'businesses' work. He died a millionaire.

Maybe you need to pick your ' friends' a bit better in the future !?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

It's how the majority of charities work. No offence...but read up about it. He worked for a Charity business...then realised he could do the same himself. He actually made less himself than the major charity business system.

Although he made millions, he also raised millions.

He died at the age of 34 with a fault in his heart...collapsed whilst watching the footy. I knew him from the age of 4.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Jesus wept. I would suggest that the gravity of the things these committed volunteers are collecting for trump your mild displeasure with them doing so. Hopefully you'll never be in a position where such a charity is your last resort or lifeline.

Give your head a wobble and stfu.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

It would have.  I’ve experience of Young Carers with Joe.  This was not your “direct debit collecting” tabard wearers you get accosted by walking down Corn St.  These were volunteers for the Charity itself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It would have.  I’ve experience of Young Carers with Joe.  This was not your “direct debit collecting” tabard wearers you get accosted by walking down Corn St.  These were volunteers for the Charity itself.

That's good to know Dave...a worthy cause.

I've collected for charity before games on a few occasions in the past. We were not paid but we did get a complimentary match ticket.

Last collection we did was for a local cancer care charity. And me and my mate played every trick in the book.  Got right in people's way. Shaked buckets. Accosted people in the Sports Bar. If we saw people we knew we gave them the guilt treatment.

Two of us raised more than double what all the other fundraisers achieved combined.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

What was the particular problem today? Obviously shaking buckets, but was it much more than usual or were you in a different place etc? I’m asking as the club allows charity collections for every league game, why were these so different? 

I’ve obviously no problem with Charity Collections and am more than happy to give any spare change over. At the Atyeo end of the Dolman concourse it was endless shaking for at least 30 minutes before the game, and all through half time.

2 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I’ve obviously no problem with Charity Collections and am more than happy to give any spare change over. At the Atyeo end of the Dolman concourse it was endless shaking for at least 30 minutes before the game, and all through half time.

How dare they raise money for a young carer's charity... I hope you rang the police. Seriously stop digging a hole and just say I've got this all wrong.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

How dare they raise money for a young carer's charity... I hope you rang the police. Seriously stop digging a hole and just say I've got this all wrong.

I work for a charity and I love my job. I am also a trustee of two other charities. Giving money to charities is really important but it is also really important to have some perspective. No charity should be beyond criticism and nobody should let support for a charity’s cause get in the way of allowing questions about their methodology. The two are entirely separate things and, when people start to shut down questions about charity’s methods because you support the cause, that is when you tend to end up with people getting away bad practice, negligence or exploitation.

Nobody is criticising the cause the charity support. They are asking questions about the methods. It is important not to conflate the two.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

I've collected for charity before games on a few occasions in the past. We were not paid but we did get a complimentary match ticket.

Last collection we did was for a local cancer care charity. And me and my mate played every trick in the book.  Got right in people's way. Shaked buckets. Accosted people in the Sports Bar. If we saw people we knew we gave them the guilt treatment.

Two of us raised more than double what all the other fundraisers achieved combined.

Have to say I don't think that's anything to be proud of. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

I really hope the charity involved were cork work your methods and have not had any reputational damage as a result.

55 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

what a weird way to out yourself as someone who doesn’t give money to charity. hate to have christmas round your house. 

Edited by Greedo
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really hope the charity involved were cork work your methods and have not had any reputational damage as a result.

None whatsoever.

Had a great response from everyone. It was just done with a smile. And a tongue in the cheek. 

The point was proactive bucket collectors are normally the ones not just going for a free ticket.

Engage with them. And get your hands out of your pockets!

Edited by Andre_The_Giant
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

None whatsoever.

Had a great response from everyone. It was just done with a smile. And a tongue in the cheek. 

The point was proactive bucket collectors are normally the ones not just going for a free ticket.

Glad to hear it.

Have been involved with a couple of charities who have recently collected at Ashton Gate. In both cases, all the collectors were unpaid volunteers, but they did all get given match tickets. Most weren't bothered about the tickets but were involved in and cared passionately about their charity. If they shook their buckets a bit, it would only have been enthusiasm and wanting to get noticed.

Charities have to apply to Bristol Sport to get chosen to collect before matches. Most of them are local, and need all the help they can get for what are usually very genuine needy causes. So rather than berating them, please consider why they are there, and if at all possible support them with a quid or 2. It's less than the cost of a half time cup of tea or a half pint after all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

You obviously have no idea how important it is to raise money for young carer's do you? I would be shaking the bucket aggressively if I can see people walk past paying £30 to watch football and £20 on beer and food but won't put 50p in a charity bucket. Shame on you!

You must spend a fortune donating to all the worthwhile charities going. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, David Brent said:

You must spend a fortune donating to all the worthwhile charities going. 

Don't spend a fortune but can easily afford £2/3 in a bucket collection going on at the gate, especially for this cause.

Me and Mrs F did some bucket waving at Tesco in Bradley Stoke a number of years ago.  It doesn’t matter how much we raised, but it taught me not to pre-judge who would put money in and who wouldn’t.  

• Like 1

I imagine we all have our own values, but for many years I have taken the view that I could justify contributing the price of a pint to what I considered a worthwhile charity, i.e. £1 or £2 in coins thrown in to the bucket passed in front of me - here in France, it would be €1 or €2.

I have been comfortable with this for as long as I can recall, but on my most recent trip to Bristol last December, I was 'confronted' by a charity collector and, to my consternation, realised I had no change in my pockets.

I felt I ought to donate nevertheless, especially as Christmas was approaching, and, somewhat begrudgingly it must be said, donated one of those nice new £5 notes.

I had not been back to the UK for several years, so you may imagine my surprise/horror later that day when I realised that my £5 donation was, in fact, not far off the same amount I had been contributing for years, i.e. the price of a pint.      

Charities and charity fundraising...interesting subject!

Obviously no problem with today whatsoever, but overall an interesting subject.

The cause is obviously excellent with charities, no debate there. I think fundraisers though ideally should be directly employed. Because some of the fundraising methods and companies- and this cuts across both the companies and the charities- not the best.

Without going into specifics, to hire most on an agency basis and agency means you can hire and fire at will via outsourcing- would argue that doesn't reflect brilliantly on the charity sector for a start. Then there's some of the telephone fundraisers themselves, but they themselves are under pressure or I don't know target related to raise money for the charity. Even seen the odd job raising cash via companies like Cobra Group (look them up) which have been commission only for door to door fundraising. Dodgy but if the charity have involvement no party comes out looking well. There is a tendency though to think "Charity virtuous, other companies raising on behalf of questionable" but not always so simple.

The middle management and top brass in these places get rewarded rather decently- don't just mean in terms of cash or even in terms of cash necessarily, but items like BUPA as part of package, season ticket loans, gym membership etc- interesting area. Contrast that to people on phone at these companies agency hired who may have some hard sell techniques, but on the other hand are in pretty precarious ways. Not sure anyone comes out looking fantastic.

Without naming names or companies/charities, the best example I know of is one of the top Charities in the country having their links to the NHS. Cancer charity- but BUPA as part of package for various (not all but various) middling and top brass there. Corporate partnership maybe? I don't know, but maybe. They have NHS Trust in Partnership with said charity and yet BUPA! It's a hard one.

Job Description

Finance Advisor - Services

Permanent role

£33,000 - £35,000 (depending on experience)

Are you studying towards an accountancy qualification or already qualified? If so we have a great opportunity for anyone looking to progress their career within finance and work for a well known national charity.

As the first point of contact for advice and support to budget holders, you'll help us achieve that ambition by applying and sharing your financial expertise to help us maximise the value of the services we deliver.

Working in a supportive and dynamic environment, you will co-ordinate budget processes and provide management accounts, financial reports and analyses as well as robust challenge to financial decision making. You will gain a broad understanding of the services Macmillan delivers through a varied and interesting workload.

Accustomed to a computerised accounting and reporting environment, you have advanced Excel skills. Regardless of the pressure or volume of work, your attention for detail remains impeccable and you combine flexibility, a positive results-focus and well-honed organisational skills to get things done. You will be studying towards an accountancy qualification or already qualified.

While a proven track record of similar work within a complex organisation is desirable, your experience may have been gained within a charity or commercial environment. More important is that you demonstrate that you have excellent influencing skills and the well-developed communication and interpersonal skills to ensure that financial concepts and information are clear even to the uninitiated.

Your first demonstration of those skills will be how your application successfully evidences your understanding of the role, the experience and abilities you will bring to it, and why you want to commit those skills to Macmillan.

In return for that commitment, we commit to actively developing you and our benefits include BUPA, life assurance, pension, childcare vouchers, generous leave, and interest free loans for season ticket and gym membership.

Now it's an old Job ad I'll grant you but a quick google search of the sector and examples lead me to this. No I don't think the wages are excessive but it's an interesting mismatch because phone bashing for charity is hard work, yet rewarding and to be agency only open ended quite likely set against this is an interesting contrast.
Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

None whatsoever.

If you come up to me and even in a tongue and cheek way and directed me to get my hands out of my pockets your not gonna like the response you get. 

I am involved heavily in a charity. Not one single person takes a penny out of the charity, not even costs. We all cover the costs ourselves and donate our time. These local charities are the ones Bristol Sport should support.

I very rarely donate to other charities due to the amount of time and money I put into the charity I'm involved with. 

There is collections at every game, if someone donated a couple of quid every game then over the season that's a decent amount and some people just can't afford that and that's why I'm totally against violently shaking buckets, getting in people's faces, standing in their way. It's intimidation and imo that goes against what the cause is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spoons said:

Maybe you want to stop being such a tosser,it’s up to us what we do with our money

21 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

Maybe you want to stop being such a tosser,it’s up to us what we do with our money

Ok tight arse

We've just moved two points behind the playoffs, and this is the "hot topic"? Jesus wept. 

GET A GRIP!!!

Edited by Badger08
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Have been involved with a couple of charities who have recently collected at Ashton Gate. In both cases, all the collectors were unpaid volunteers, but they did all get given match tickets. Most weren't bothered about the tickets but were involved in and cared passionately about their charity. If they shook their buckets a bit, it would only have been enthusiasm and wanting to get noticed.

Charities have to apply to Bristol Sport to get chosen to collect before matches. Most of them are local, and need all the help they can get for what are usually very genuine needy causes. So rather than berating them, please consider why they are there, and if at all possible support them with a quid or 2. It's less than the cost of a half time cup of tea or a half pint after all.

This is 100% correct. They do have to sign an agreement beforehand too stating the areas where they may or may not collect. There is a max of 10 collectors, unless they are in partnership with the club, eg CHSW.

You have to remember this is a huge opportunity with so many footfall to get probably what is their biggest donation of the year, ie will almost singlehandly be used to fund the next year for them. If they shake a bucket a little in a crowded concourse to be noticed then I don’t have a problem with that, infact I would be more likely to donate once alerted rather than walk past and miss them.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I work a lot with this charity and knew several collectors down their today, all volunteers all collecting money for a cause that should not exist, but that’s austerity and Westminster folk for you.....pigs at the trough!

young carers, amazing charity, amazing volunteers (and enthusiastic)if you missed putting some cash in their bucket why not donate on line?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Me and Mrs F did some bucket waving at Tesco in Bradley Stoke a number of years ago.  It doesn’t matter how much we raised, but it taught me not to pre-judge who would put money in and who wouldn’t.  

But some people may pay into a charity in a monthly direct debit that they choose.

I have chosen guide dogs for the blind and make a regular payment and would rather do that than put in buckets for other charity's

Another example of “we’re not losing so can’t moan about that, let’s find something else random to whinge about.” 

Give them money if you want, don’t give them money if you don’t want to, but I don’t understand what possible reason you could have for coming on a football forum to whinge about the manner in which they attempted to get money for a very worthy cause.  :blink:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

But some people may pay into a charity in a monthly direct debit that they choose.

I have chosen guide dogs for the blind and make a regular payment and would rather do that than put in buckets for other charity's

Yeah, absolutely.  Was just trying to distinguish the different methods of collections, where typically (big generalisation) those wielding buckets are generally volunteers, and those wearing tabards and trying to sign you up for DDs, are generally getting sone commission/payment.  

I don’t give to everyone, but children type charities tug on my heartstrings obviously in my situation.

• Like 2