IGNORED

Charity Collecters

JasonM88

Probably well meaning volunteers who are not aware of the etiquette required. If the shaking of buckets, violently or gently,  is now not the correct thing to do, then the club, charities involved, and our stewards need to be aware and inform people.

How times change.

6 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

It's not illegal mate.

I think you’ll find it is .... I may be wrong - and perhaps things have changed recently,  but a few years ago when I was involved in a similar activity we were clearly told that it was not allowed to shake a bucket to attract attention to the collection as this could be construed as intimidation. 

4 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I think you’ll find it is .... I may be wrong - and perhaps things have changed recently,  but a few years ago when I was involved in a similar activity we were clearly told that it was not allowed to shake a bucket to attract attention to the collection as this could be construed as intimidation. 

I think you will find that because the buckets have lids on, the rules change.

Bonkers I know, but I am fairly sure the open/closed bucket thing, is in fact 's thing'.

7 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

It isn't illegal.  Several charities have a policy not to shake the bucket but it is not illegal.  Shaking it in someone's face would be but shaking per se is not illegal.

3 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

After a google search it appears that you’ll get more money from a polite approach rather that aggressively shaking a bucket 

You obviously have no idea how important it is to raise money for young carer's do you? I would be shaking the bucket aggressively if I can see people walk past paying £30 to watch football and £20 on beer and food but won't put 50p in a charity bucket. Shame on you!

27 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I fully understand what a good job these people do, however, shaking a money collecting bucket quite violently will not only annoy people, but is also illegal. These people need to be reminded of there responsibilities as collecters. 

What was the particular problem today? Obviously shaking buckets, but was it much more than usual or were you in a different place etc? I’m asking as the club allows charity collections for every league game, why were these so different? 

1 minute ago, spudski said:

If 100% went to the charity I'm all for it...having had a friend who set up a charity business, and employed street charity workers, he told me how a lot of these 'businesses' work. He died a millionaire.

Maybe you need to pick your ' friends' a bit better in the future !?

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

Maybe you need to pick your ' friends' a bit better in the future !?

It's how the majority of charities work. No offence...but read up about it. He worked for a Charity business...then realised he could do the same himself. He actually made less himself than the major charity business system.

Although he made millions, he also raised millions.

He died at the age of 34 with a fault in his heart...collapsed whilst watching the footy. I knew him from the age of 4.

42 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I fully understand what a good job these people do, however, shaking a money collecting bucket quite violently will not only annoy people, but is also illegal. These people need to be reminded of there responsibilities as collecters. 

Jesus wept. I would suggest that the gravity of the things these committed volunteers are collecting for trump your mild displeasure with them doing so. Hopefully you'll never be in a position where such a charity is your last resort or lifeline.

Give your head a wobble and stfu.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

If 100% went to the charity I'm all for it...having had a friend who set up a charity business, and employed street charity workers, he told me how a lot of these 'businesses' work. He died a millionaire.

It would have.  I’ve experience of Young Carers with Joe.  This was not your “direct debit collecting” tabard wearers you get accosted by walking down Corn St.  These were volunteers for the Charity itself.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It would have.  I’ve experience of Young Carers with Joe.  This was not your “direct debit collecting” tabard wearers you get accosted by walking down Corn St.  These were volunteers for the Charity itself.

That's good to know Dave...a worthy cause.

I've collected for charity before games on a few occasions in the past. We were not paid but we did get a complimentary match ticket.

Last collection we did was for a local cancer care charity. And me and my mate played every trick in the book.  Got right in people's way. Shaked buckets. Accosted people in the Sports Bar. If we saw people we knew we gave them the guilt treatment.

Two of us raised more than double what all the other fundraisers achieved combined.

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

What was the particular problem today? Obviously shaking buckets, but was it much more than usual or were you in a different place etc? I’m asking as the club allows charity collections for every league game, why were these so different? 

I’ve obviously no problem with Charity Collections and am more than happy to give any spare change over. At the Atyeo end of the Dolman concourse it was endless shaking for at least 30 minutes before the game, and all through half time.

2 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I’ve obviously no problem with Charity Collections and am more than happy to give any spare change over. At the Atyeo end of the Dolman concourse it was endless shaking for at least 30 minutes before the game, and all through half time.

How dare they raise money for a young carer's charity... I hope you rang the police. Seriously stop digging a hole and just say I've got this all wrong.

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

How dare they raise money for a young carer's charity... I hope you rang the police. Seriously stop digging a hole and just say I've got this all wrong.

I work for a charity and I love my job. I am also a trustee of two other charities. Giving money to charities is really important but it is also really important to have some perspective. No charity should be beyond criticism and nobody should let support for a charity’s cause get in the way of allowing questions about their methodology. The two are entirely separate things and, when people start to shut down questions about charity’s methods because you support the cause, that is when you tend to end up with people getting away bad practice, negligence or exploitation.

Nobody is criticising the cause the charity support. They are asking questions about the methods. It is important not to conflate the two.

15 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

I've collected for charity before games on a few occasions in the past. We were not paid but we did get a complimentary match ticket.

Last collection we did was for a local cancer care charity. And me and my mate played every trick in the book.  Got right in people's way. Shaked buckets. Accosted people in the Sports Bar. If we saw people we knew we gave them the guilt treatment.

Two of us raised more than double what all the other fundraisers achieved combined.

Have to say I don't think that's anything to be proud of. 

19 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

I really hope the charity involved were cork work your methods and have not had any reputational damage as a result.

Archived