IGNORED

Charity Collecters

JasonM88

55 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

After a google search it appears that you’ll get more money from a polite approach rather that aggressively shaking a bucket 

what a weird way to out yourself as someone who doesn’t give money to charity. hate to have christmas round your house. 

37 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really hope the charity involved were cork work your methods and have not had any reputational damage as a result.

None whatsoever.

Had a great response from everyone. It was just done with a smile. And a tongue in the cheek. 

The point was proactive bucket collectors are normally the ones not just going for a free ticket.

Engage with them. And get your hands out of your pockets!

10 minutes ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

None whatsoever.

Had a great response from everyone. It was just done with a smile. And a tongue in the cheek. 

The point was proactive bucket collectors are normally the ones not just going for a free ticket.

Glad to hear it.

Have been involved with a couple of charities who have recently collected at Ashton Gate. In both cases, all the collectors were unpaid volunteers, but they did all get given match tickets. Most weren't bothered about the tickets but were involved in and cared passionately about their charity. If they shook their buckets a bit, it would only have been enthusiasm and wanting to get noticed.

Charities have to apply to Bristol Sport to get chosen to collect before matches. Most of them are local, and need all the help they can get for what are usually very genuine needy causes. So rather than berating them, please consider why they are there, and if at all possible support them with a quid or 2. It's less than the cost of a half time cup of tea or a half pint after all.

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

You obviously have no idea how important it is to raise money for young carer's do you? I would be shaking the bucket aggressively if I can see people walk past paying £30 to watch football and £20 on beer and food but won't put 50p in a charity bucket. Shame on you!

You must spend a fortune donating to all the worthwhile charities going. 

I imagine we all have our own values, but for many years I have taken the view that I could justify contributing the price of a pint to what I considered a worthwhile charity, i.e. £1 or £2 in coins thrown in to the bucket passed in front of me - here in France, it would be €1 or €2.

I have been comfortable with this for as long as I can recall, but on my most recent trip to Bristol last December, I was 'confronted' by a charity collector and, to my consternation, realised I had no change in my pockets.

I felt I ought to donate nevertheless, especially as Christmas was approaching, and, somewhat begrudgingly it must be said, donated one of those nice new £5 notes.

I had not been back to the UK for several years, so you may imagine my surprise/horror later that day when I realised that my £5 donation was, in fact, not far off the same amount I had been contributing for years, i.e. the price of a pint.      

Charities and charity fundraising...interesting subject!

Obviously no problem with today whatsoever, but overall an interesting subject.

The cause is obviously excellent with charities, no debate there. I think fundraisers though ideally should be directly employed. Because some of the fundraising methods and companies- and this cuts across both the companies and the charities- not the best.

Without going into specifics, to hire most on an agency basis and agency means you can hire and fire at will via outsourcing- would argue that doesn't reflect brilliantly on the charity sector for a start. Then there's some of the telephone fundraisers themselves, but they themselves are under pressure or I don't know target related to raise money for the charity. Even seen the odd job raising cash via companies like Cobra Group (look them up) which have been commission only for door to door fundraising. Dodgy but if the charity have involvement no party comes out looking well. There is a tendency though to think "Charity virtuous, other companies raising on behalf of questionable" but not always so simple.

The middle management and top brass in these places get rewarded rather decently- don't just mean in terms of cash or even in terms of cash necessarily, but items like BUPA as part of package, season ticket loans, gym membership etc- interesting area. Contrast that to people on phone at these companies agency hired who may have some hard sell techniques, but on the other hand are in pretty precarious ways. Not sure anyone comes out looking fantastic.

Without naming names or companies/charities, the best example I know of is one of the top Charities in the country having their links to the NHS. Cancer charity- but BUPA as part of package for various (not all but various) middling and top brass there. Corporate partnership maybe? I don't know, but maybe. They have NHS Trust in Partnership with said charity and yet BUPA! It's a hard one.

Job Description

Finance Advisor - Services

Permanent role

£33,000 - £35,000 (depending on experience)

Are you studying towards an accountancy qualification or already qualified? If so we have a great opportunity for anyone looking to progress their career within finance and work for a well known national charity.

As the first point of contact for advice and support to budget holders, you'll help us achieve that ambition by applying and sharing your financial expertise to help us maximise the value of the services we deliver.

Working in a supportive and dynamic environment, you will co-ordinate budget processes and provide management accounts, financial reports and analyses as well as robust challenge to financial decision making. You will gain a broad understanding of the services Macmillan delivers through a varied and interesting workload.

Accustomed to a computerised accounting and reporting environment, you have advanced Excel skills. Regardless of the pressure or volume of work, your attention for detail remains impeccable and you combine flexibility, a positive results-focus and well-honed organisational skills to get things done. You will be studying towards an accountancy qualification or already qualified.

While a proven track record of similar work within a complex organisation is desirable, your experience may have been gained within a charity or commercial environment. More important is that you demonstrate that you have excellent influencing skills and the well-developed communication and interpersonal skills to ensure that financial concepts and information are clear even to the uninitiated.

Your first demonstration of those skills will be how your application successfully evidences your understanding of the role, the experience and abilities you will bring to it, and why you want to commit those skills to Macmillan.

In return for that commitment, we commit to actively developing you and our benefits include BUPA, life assurance, pension, childcare vouchers, generous leave, and interest free loans for season ticket and gym membership.

Now it's an old Job ad I'll grant you but a quick google search of the sector and examples lead me to this. No I don't think the wages are excessive but it's an interesting mismatch because phone bashing for charity is hard work, yet rewarding and to be agency only open ended quite likely set against this is an interesting contrast.

4 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

None whatsoever.

If you come up to me and even in a tongue and cheek way and directed me to get my hands out of my pockets your not gonna like the response you get. 

I am involved heavily in a charity. Not one single person takes a penny out of the charity, not even costs. We all cover the costs ourselves and donate our time. These local charities are the ones Bristol Sport should support.

I very rarely donate to other charities due to the amount of time and money I put into the charity I'm involved with. 

There is collections at every game, if someone donated a couple of quid every game then over the season that's a decent amount and some people just can't afford that and that's why I'm totally against violently shaking buckets, getting in people's faces, standing in their way. It's intimidation and imo that goes against what the cause is.

9 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Have been involved with a couple of charities who have recently collected at Ashton Gate. In both cases, all the collectors were unpaid volunteers, but they did all get given match tickets. Most weren't bothered about the tickets but were involved in and cared passionately about their charity. If they shook their buckets a bit, it would only have been enthusiasm and wanting to get noticed.

Charities have to apply to Bristol Sport to get chosen to collect before matches. Most of them are local, and need all the help they can get for what are usually very genuine needy causes. So rather than berating them, please consider why they are there, and if at all possible support them with a quid or 2. It's less than the cost of a half time cup of tea or a half pint after all.

This is 100% correct. They do have to sign an agreement beforehand too stating the areas where they may or may not collect. There is a max of 10 collectors, unless they are in partnership with the club, eg CHSW.

You have to remember this is a huge opportunity with so many footfall to get probably what is their biggest donation of the year, ie will almost singlehandly be used to fund the next year for them. If they shake a bucket a little in a crowded concourse to be noticed then I don’t have a problem with that, infact I would be more likely to donate once alerted rather than walk past and miss them.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It would have.  I’ve experience of Young Carers with Joe.  This was not your “direct debit collecting” tabard wearers you get accosted by walking down Corn St.  These were volunteers for the Charity itself.

I work a lot with this charity and knew several collectors down their today, all volunteers all collecting money for a cause that should not exist, but that’s austerity and Westminster folk for you.....pigs at the trough!

young carers, amazing charity, amazing volunteers (and enthusiastic)if you missed putting some cash in their bucket why not donate on line?

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Me and Mrs F did some bucket waving at Tesco in Bradley Stoke a number of years ago.  It doesn’t matter how much we raised, but it taught me not to pre-judge who would put money in and who wouldn’t.  

But some people may pay into a charity in a monthly direct debit that they choose.

I have chosen guide dogs for the blind and make a regular payment and would rather do that than put in buckets for other charity's

Another example of “we’re not losing so can’t moan about that, let’s find something else random to whinge about.” 

Give them money if you want, don’t give them money if you don’t want to, but I don’t understand what possible reason you could have for coming on a football forum to whinge about the manner in which they attempted to get money for a very worthy cause.  :blink:

44 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

But some people may pay into a charity in a monthly direct debit that they choose.

I have chosen guide dogs for the blind and make a regular payment and would rather do that than put in buckets for other charity's

Yeah, absolutely.  Was just trying to distinguish the different methods of collections, where typically (big generalisation) those wielding buckets are generally volunteers, and those wearing tabards and trying to sign you up for DDs, are generally getting sone commission/payment.  

I don’t give to everyone, but children type charities tug on my heartstrings obviously in my situation.

13 hours ago, Andre_The_Giant said:

I've collected for charity before games on a few occasions in the past. We were not paid but we did get a complimentary match ticket.

Last collection we did was for a local cancer care charity. And me and my mate played every trick in the book.  Got right in people's way. Shaked buckets. Accosted people in the Sports Bar. If we saw people we knew we gave them the guilt treatment.

Two of us raised more than double what all the other fundraisers achieved combined.

Wow....

13 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

I’ve obviously no problem with Charity Collections and am more than happy to give any spare change over. At the Atyeo end of the Dolman concourse it was endless shaking for at least 30 minutes before the game, and all through half time.

Please can you help me with this, I genuinely do need this info. Were they moving around chasing and hassling people or generally stood in one area and people walking past them? Could you not have moved yourself to a quieter part of the concourse, how many of them were there as I know there is a max of 10 for the whole stadium, so possibly only one or two in each concourse? I would have thought they were easily avoidable if you wanted to. Was it so much more noticeable yesterday, or do you not usually stand where you did? Have you noticed this before or is it a one off?

I'm not sure if I should have reopened this topic,  but have as it's for a cause close to my heart.

This Saturday (Swansea), myself and other volunteers will be helping with the bucket collection for CHSW. I promise not to rattle the bucket too aggressively so please consider donating some loose change. ?.

By the way, once a month, we offer a free guided tour of the facilities at Charlton Farm. You need to book (via the CHSW website) if you would like a look around and see where the money you have donated is spent. Free tea and cake afterwards!

7 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

I'm not sure if I should have reopened this topic,  but have as it's for a cause close to my heart.

This Saturday (Swansea), myself and other volunteers will be helping with the bucket collection for CHSW. I promise not to rattle the bucket too aggressively so please consider donating some loose change. ?. Or some notes ?

By the way, once a month, we offer a free guided tour of the facilities at Charlton Farm. You need to book (via the CHSW website) if you would like a look around and see where the money you have donated is spent. Free tea and cake afterwards!

Good man RG ?

5 hours ago, Spoons said:

Yes. It's the Bristol city community trust day today.

Whoever organised it wasn’t very good as I didn’t see any collectors anywhere outside the ground. I always chuck in a pound, as it doesn’t affect me, but if most people did the same it would make a big difference to the respective charities 

I am one of those charity collectors and a season ticket holder in the South stand. We ask for permission to collect before the season and the club do send us terms and conditions before the game indicating what we can and cannot do. This is circulated to all of those taking part. I have to say they (Bristol Sport) are very supportive. We get paid NOTHING and give up a few hours to help others.  We just want to help those that need a boost. All charities remain extremely grateful for any donations made. Are they worthwhile-Yes. My club has normally collected at City games for the Childrens' hospital and the Childrens' Hospice South West at Wraxhall raising on average £500-600.This season for the first time we did a Bristol Bears game and raised over £900 for the Hospice. Please remember that when you see these people. We are trying to help.

On behalf of all members Clevedon Yeo Rotary club

COYR's 

1 hour ago, Always red said:

I am one of those charity collectors and a season ticket holder in the South stand. We ask for permission to collect before the season and the club do send us terms and conditions before the game indicating what we can and cannot do. This is circulated to all of those taking part. I have to say they (Bristol Sport) are very supportive. We get paid NOTHING and give up a few hours to help others.  We just want to help those that need a boost. All charities remain extremely grateful for any donations made. Are they worthwhile-Yes. My club has normally collected at City games for the Childrens' hospital and the Childrens' Hospice South West at Wraxhall raising on average £500-600.This season for the first time we did a Bristol Bears game and raised over £900 for the Hospice. Please remember that when you see these people. We are trying to help.

On behalf of all members Clevedon Yeo Rotary club

COYR's 

Fully agree with this. That’s what normally happens with any charities that are outside of the club. Yesterday was as stated the Bristol City Community Trust charity day, they are of course connected to the club and obviously BS and I think they may have organised themselves differently that what is more usual. 

As you say many charity collectors are ST holders, but if they aren’t the club does provide a limited amount of free match tickets for either football or rugby, depending on which sport the charity are collecting at. Therefore anyone connected with a charity can apply to collect, it’s not just ST holders, no one is excluded.

I am a middle aged bloke who gets irritated by most things these days, but even I fail to get irate over a noisy bucket full of coins. Throw into the mix the fact that the collection is for a good cause and that may well be up there as the most cantankerous thing ever written by mankind

Archived