IGNORED

Dolman stand fans seem to be getting posher

Mrdc

12 minutes ago, adamski said:

moved over to the LD two years ago, had a group of absolute bell ends and sons move in behind, horrendous chavs, was sorry to go after 23 years in the same seat, others moved too...surprised to hear the tone has gone up....not in that area of B block I believe!!!!!

I haven’t seen any chavvy looking people for ages in the dolman. Almost miss them a bit, as it reminds me of my earlier memories of watching city back in the late 90’s and early 00’s

36 minutes ago, Greedo said:

what are these supposed giveaways of a fans’ class status, might I ask?

There aren't any.

As demonstrated by this group of Dolman "casuals" 

bulingdon.jpg.3fc9d5e9b695a8ed8fedf28a66ae33de.jpg

Although this group did splash out on some corporate hospitality and sit on the family section.

Downton-Abbey-Finale-Signature-Image_1920x1280.jpg.f049d3f2f0d4f06d3424a9c625279415.jpg

2 minutes ago, boatman said:

I haven’t seen any chavvy looking people for ages in the dolman. Almost miss them a bit, as it reminds me of my earlier memories of watching city back in the late 90’s and early 00’s

Chav central in the Dolman today, these guys in their 50’s I’d say turned up 10 mins after kick off, stinking of booze, I thought a tramp had sat next to me the smell was really bad, they then went to get more booze about 10 mins before half time, then I didn’t see them again until 10 mins into the second half!

It’s my fault, in the summer of 2017 I moved out of the Dolman after 17 years as a season ticket holder there. Clearly the lack of my dulcet tones in there now has clearly dragged up the standards.

Apologies to those in the South Stand who now have to endure my presence. 

I sit at the halfway line in the Dolman (8 rows back).....trust me..there is still passion around me!.......I listen to frustration and adulation (as appropriate)..........to be fair....I do wish people in this area would sing more often.......

These people pay their money, take the time to watch........each to their own! 

1 hour ago, boatman said:

Have been a season ticket in central block of dolman and sonething occurred to me today.

Loooking around the stand today the traditional working class football fan seems to have almost disappeared. The stand seems to have come become incredibly middle class of late and for me the atmosphere just doesn’t feel the same since the redevelopment.

Central block has always been for the “middle class” for many a year these poshos were rewarded with plastic seats whilst us mere mortals had to place one’s buttocks on what was once a tree.

with respect to your post, does working class really exist anymore, anywhere in British society? I think most people are part of the middle class now anyway, albeit a much broader middle class, one of the benefits of capitalism for you.

35 minutes ago, downendcity said:

There aren't any.

Fake news. This lot aren't of the prawn sarnie brigade. They are with the toad in the hole brigade. Especially the one second from left in the back... he just loves the pork. So I heard...

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

What on earth is working class these days? Do you expect people to turn up in scruffy clothes and hob nail boots after a long 12 hour shift at the pit? As for language, the old typical working class language of many years ago has mainly disappeared, partly due to television where everyone has a fake cockney or American accent. Society, as a whole, is changing and has always done so. There’s nothing wrong with that. Perhaps the club could designate one section of the ground “working class only”. To get into the true spirit of the olden days it would be standing only with no roof so everyone would get wet when it rained.  The fans in this section would have no access to the main concourse, but would have their own special working class  facilities based on those at the Memorial Stadium 

You think you had it hard

Working class is having to get up 2 hours before you went to bed 

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Chav central in the Dolman today, these guys in their 50’s I’d say turned up 10 mins after kick off, stinking of booze, I thought a tramp had sat next to me the smell was really bad, they then went to get more booze about 10 mins before half time, then I didn’t see them again until 10 mins into the second half!

It really is becoming quite intolerable.

3 hours ago, boatman said:

Have been a season ticket in central block of dolman and sonething occurred to me today.

Loooking around the stand today the traditional working class football fan seems to have almost disappeared. The stand seems to have come become incredibly middle class of late and for me the atmosphere just doesn’t feel the same since the redevelopment.

As long as any fighting is marquess of Queensbury rules I suppose it's all right.

A wider issue in all honesty. 

Can't agree- all middle class? Don't see it. However definitely last 15, 20, 30 years a shift in demographic that's clear. Certain sections of fans in the UK have been priced out IMO, surely the case. Demographic changes inevitable with that, but then again I think there are a lot of people who have supported years who still go. However part of this has been an exponential or at least clear rise in attendances (not just City but English football per'se) in the last 20-30 years, so it's not an easy one because inevitably as a part of that rise, there will be more middle class/posh fans in addition to the pricing out factor.

If we became let's say in our crazy dreams a top 6 or 7 established PL club- a big 7 with us as the newest member some point in the future- then it would be a real risk I feel. The pricing out issue would become real as there are lots of people in Bristol who may well pay the higher prices who are not necessarily traditional City fans and then we may have more of a risk.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A wider issue in all honesty. 

Can't agree- all middle class? Don't see it. However definitely last 15, 20, 30 years a shift in demographic that's clear. Certain sections of fans in the UK have been priced out IMO, surely the case. Demographic changes inevitable with that, but then again I think there are a lot of people who have supported years who still go. However part of this has been an exponential or at least clear rise in attendances (not just City but English football per'se) in the last 20-30 years, so it's not an easy one because inevitably as a part of that rise, there will be more middle class/posh fans in addition to the pricing out factor.

If we became let's say in our crazy dreams a top 6 or 7 established PL club- a big 7 with us as the newest member some point in the future- then it would be a real risk I feel. The pricing out issue would become real as there are lots of people in Bristol who may well pay the higher prices who are not necessarily traditional City fans and then we may have more of a risk.

Traditional, if you mean working class then no football club could exist with just that however that may look to those priced out, unfortunately that seems to be the way the world is going  it may be just a passing faze but fans that pay on the day or who are season ticket holders seem to be a lot less important than they used to be unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

Traditional, if you mean working class then no football club could exist with just that however that may look to those priced out, unfortunately that seems to be the way the world is going  it may be just a passing faze but fans seem to be a lot less important than they used to be unfortunately. 

Yeah agree- no club could exist these days with core fans only. Don't like the pricing out though, it surely has a detrimental effect on atmosphere etc.

In the PL I would agree- the TV money and for a number of clubs is such, the commercial is very big and probably at some elite European clubs too.

Below that? Can't agree- don't want to get into debates about income % etc at this time of night, but fans are still highly important to operations IMO. However the pricing out thing has been steadily going 20-30 years, and at some clubs- Arsenal to name one, perhaps the worst- has been pretty blatant.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah agree- no club could exist these days with core fans only. Don't like the pricing out though, it surely has a detrimental effect on atmosphere etc.

In the PL I would agree- the TV money and for a number of clubs is such, the commercial is very big and probably at some elite European clubs too.

Below that? Can't agree- don't want to get into debates about income % etc at this time of night, but fans are still highly important to operations IMO. However the pricing out thing has been steadily going 20-30 years, and at some clubs- Arsenal to name one, perhaps the worst- has been pretty blatant.

yet they still sell out most games well that's what they say, though the empty seats may say otherwise, it will be a sad day if clubs could play in front of one man and his dog and still make a profit talk about selling your soul to the devil. 

10 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

and a gamebird lunch pre-match   with optional caviar and champagne. We are the posh Dolmanites

WHOOOOOAAAAAAH now slow down there old boy. 

I wouldn’t expect caviar to be brought out, you never know, it could become contaminated by the fumes that rise off the commoners sitting in the corner of the South Stand.

One can only assume there are approximately 4 score of the blighters in number and they are all scoundrels, hence the nickname I’ve heard banded around on various hunting trips.

11 hours ago, downendcity said:

There aren't any.

Just realised this could be an early group of "Johnson out" OTIBers.

:)

Need to look at the blond sitting on the steps.

11 hours ago, adamski said:

moved over to the LD two years ago, had a group of absolute bell ends and sons move in behind, horrendous chavs, was sorry to go after 23 years in the same seat, others moved too...surprised to hear the tone has gone up....not in that area of B block I believe!!!!!

I have spent 45 years looking at that lot from the Enclosure, Grandstand, Williams, Lansdown. It will be refreshing to see people eat their pies/prawn sandwiches with their mouths closed.

There i a good mixture of fans in the Dolman I sit by a bloke how is scrapping to earn enough money and every week has to work out how he is getting to the ground and two rows back from him sits former Chairman Les Kew, the one thing that they all have in common is that they love supporting Bristol City and long may it continue although I will admit with ticket prices anyone who is poor can not justify paying to watch football

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Surely the Dolman only became 'working class' when the Park End and the Enclosure mob moved up there en masse to Blocks A & B.

If you look at pictures of the Dolman when it first opened the majority of fans were wearing suits!

By the time we took up in B Block the jacket of choice was more Barbour IIRC

?

Archived