IGNORED

Dolman stand fans seem to be getting posher

Mrdc

24 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Don`t worry. When SL builds a Waitrose on the Wickes site you`ll be OK for life`s little necessities. Just nip in pre-match and order what you want and it will be delivered to your seat at half time by a steward butler

Fixed that for you, RRH...

6 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

I don't think it's getting posher, last time I was in there, some ne'er do well, wearing last year's Moncler jacket, if you please, only went and crushed my avocado and manchego sourdough sandwich.

Philistine

I trust you raised a hue and cry and the rapscallion was apprehended. Hopefully he was transported to the colonies with all haste?

43 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

image.png.f9cc201d705bd710af6c43993842944e.pngYesterdays queue to get into the Dolman 

Doman queue on the left ( they have their picnic baskets with them)  

Lansdown queue on the right.

5 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I have to agree about the sad absence of working class of late. I can barely remember the last time an epidemic of TB broke out in that stand.

Sorry times indeed. A curse on gentrification.

I managed to get ricketes on the weekend, thankfully my supply of leeches saw it off.

Pretty much everyone is working class, we all work don’t we?  Well apart from those living on their nice final salary pensions that we can only dream about.

I don’t understand the concern, the working class now just do office drudge rather than making things, just because it’s white collar work doesn’t make it middle class.

The phrase ‘working class’ is obsolete, you either have a job, live on benefits or have a trust fund. I guess the proportion of those going to games that live month to month is no different than before.

Made my first appearance of the season at the weekend; was ensconced in C Block and thought the atmosphere was pretty diabolical bar a fifteen-minute period in the second half. An indication of the Dolman's gentrification? Probably not. Still plenty of 'lads' in the concourse, and the air still thick with wurzel accents. I guess, simply, the dynamics of football have changed over the years due to several factors beyond our control: speaking generally, TV, club officials, stewards, police have all played a role in chipping away at the many of the elements you'd have found 20-odd years back. For better or worse, the football experience has changed, so it's logical that the Dolman feels a little different as well. 

Personally speaking, I can't say it effected my enjoyment of the day, and in fact, given my state of hangover, it felt quite therapeutic. 

18 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Since when has having a Bristolian accent been pre-requisite to supporting City? 4 STs in our clique are for yung 'uns (my lad included) who all grew up hundreds of miles from Bristol but have supported City since birth because their father's gave them no other choice.

Also to note, when I first started on Crackers Corner there were many dockers, tugmen and labourers, but also teachers, doctors, lecturers et al (who all had to get up first thing on a Monday morning which I my definition of working class. )

Interesting you added "tugmen" my dad worked on the tugs and always stood on Crackers Corner with a few other tugboat men as well, always claimed it was the best view at Ashton Gate.    

9 hours ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

Interesting you added "tugmen" my dad worked on the tugs and always stood on Crackers Corner with a few other tugboat men as well, always claimed it was the best view at Ashton Gate.    

In which case he would doubtless have known my father and uncle who are responsible for seeing me follow City, perhaps it's them to whom you refer?

Crackers Corner it was.

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

In which case he would doubtless have known my father and uncle who are responsible for seeing me follow City, perhaps it's them to whom you refer?

Crackers Corner it was.

Just for knowledge which Corner was crackers?

7 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Just for knowledge which Corner was crackers?

Where the current Dolman joins the Atyeo. In those days it was one corner of the open end. The story (true or false) is that it got its name because those who stood there had a reputation for shouting crazy things at the players. The players said they must be crackers - hence crackers corner 

1 hour ago, Der no.2 said:

It really is about time that a decent Brunello di Montalcino Riserva 2012 was served up.

Strangely, en route to see City in Pisa many years ago I inadvertently ended up taking in a game in Montalcino (wine tour of Tuscany, seemed churlish not to.) If you come out of the very expensive Fortezza winery, many pounds lighter even if you go for the cheaper offerings, they've a raised terrace directly overlooking the local stadium and you can watch for nothing from the battlements. Seria D (F) or suchlike and they look like a poor man's Yeovil.

Archived