IGNORED

Gary O’Neill

BRISTOL86

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So we signed him when he had this problem. Someone who was about 33, with an injury problem we gave a 2 year contract and made our highest earner. Glad I don't think we'd make that kind of mistake now.

Signing GoN was a calculated gamble. Had he stayed fit his Championship experience would have been invaluable but unfortunately City lost out on that particular gamble.

It happens....

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Signing GoN was a calculated gamble. Had he stayed fit his Championship experience would have been invaluable but unfortunately City lost out on that particular gamble.

It happens....

Agreed. The bloke played 30 odd games in the Prem before we signed him, so not sure how he ended up in that state so soon after. Just one of those things. 

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So we signed him when he had this problem. Someone who was about 33, with an injury problem we gave a 2 year contract and made our highest earner. Glad I don't think we'd make that kind of mistake now.

Hmm, i wouldnt bet my mortgage on it not happening again!

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. The bloke played 30 odd games in the Prem before we signed him, so not sure how he ended up in that state so soon after. Just one of those things. 

It didn’t stop him in those early 6-9 matches for us, when he was at his best.  Perhaps it was just building into a problem and as the days undiagnosed.

From someone who spent a year constantly breaking down before an ACL rupture was diagnosed and then a year getting back fit(ish) after op to then spend a further 5 years of a cycle of fluid build-up > rest > sub > play > fluid....repeat, playing 50 times in that period, I’ve always had a lot of sympathy for O’Neil.

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Whose to say he didn’t pick the injury up after he signed for us, in pre season........he does say July.

27 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Severe muscle wastage there. Was he in a cast for ages or something? Can’t believe It got to that stage with him still walking properly or playing... 

That’s not muscle wastage, he’d just played a full season at Norwich 

3 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

What was the social stuff with Tomlin your referred to? I'm guessing that was in the winter of 2016.

Maybe I read too much in to it at the time, but in the depths of our losing run under LJ, Tomlin had been dropped (after a much reported bust up with LJ) and O'Neil wasn't playing, and the pair of them used to be thick as thieves on social media like a pair of naughty school kids, tagging one another and having a right old laugh. Seem to remember a photo of O'Neil at an away hotel that Tomlin posted, laughing away, and with some remark about how good he was... the cynic would've seen it as a sideways dig at LJ for not playing him.

Admittedly some probably lapped it up back then as rebellion towards LJ during his worst, but to be on a club record losing run and have two very well paid players pissing about on Twitter never sat well with me, and given what's been said since about Tomlin's behaviour at the time, I've always had questions in my mind about O'Neil's professionalism too. Certainly I never got the impression the bloke was suffering or that bothered... I could be way off the mark but that's how I saw it back then. And now all of a sudden he cares...

I was sure there was a thread about the pair of them at the time, there was certainly plenty doing the rounds in private messages - this is all I can find publicly on OTIB:

Anyway, rightly or wrongly I've always had O'Neil in the Tomlin bracket. At the time he seemed to be more about banter than knuckling down, so I won't lose too much sleep.

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

Maybe I read too much in to it at the time, but in the depths of our losing run under LJ, Tomlin had been dropped (after a much reported bust up with LJ) and O'Neil wasn't playing, and the pair of them used to be thick as thieves on social media like a pair of naughty school kids, tagging one another and having a right old laugh. Seem to remember a photo of O'Neil at an away hotel that Tomlin posted, laughing away, and with some remark about how good he was... the cynic would've seen it as a sideways dig at LJ for not playing him.

Admittedly some probably lapped it up back then as rebellion towards LJ during his worst, but to be on a club record losing run and have two very well paid players pissing about on Twitter never sat well with me, and given what's been said since about Tomlin's behaviour at the time, I've always had questions in my mind about O'Neil's professionalism too. Certainly I never got the impression the bloke was suffering or that bothered... I could be way off the mark but that's how I saw it back then. And now all of a sudden he cares...

Happy to drive his car for 7 hours across the country, day in day out.

No wonder his muscle wasted away. He didn't give a toss. The money went in his bank account and all he did was drive his car. Literally paid to drive his car.

56 minutes ago, Olé said:

The social media stuff between GON and LT always surprised me because I thought they didn’t get on.  One the model pro, the other the lazy skilful player.  They had a bust-up after Reading away in 16/17, and at the Xmas party at CHSW that Xmas it was a case of “if looks could kill”, like they’d just come off a training ground bust up.

Archived