IGNORED

This time last year....6 points better off (Merged)

Tinmans Love Child

This time last year we were only 6 points better off, after 27 games, and had only scored 6 more goals!  I know it’s a different season and doesn’t matter, but the unanimous opinion is that the first half of last season was great (which it was) but it didn’t actually yield that much more after 27 games than this season has when we’ve been poor, and lost 3 of our best players.  The big difference this year seems to be that we started slow and are now picking up momentum, rather than shooting our bolt early and running out of steam.  Dare we dream???

5A25E86D-E3C4-4754-907B-0961E9245EA8.jpeg

29C0F26A-F5DE-482D-8F91-D7F0783C050D.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

This time last year we were only 6 points better off, after 27 games, and had only scored 6 more goals!  I know it’s a different season and doesn’t matter, but the unanimous opinion is that the first half of last season was great (which it was) but it didn’t actually yield that much more after 27 games than this season has when we’ve been poor, and lost 3 of our best players.  The big difference this year seems to be that we started slow and are now picking up momentum, rather than shooting our bolt early and running out of steam.  Dare we dream???

5A25E86D-E3C4-4754-907B-0961E9245EA8.jpeg

29C0F26A-F5DE-482D-8F91-D7F0783C050D.jpeg

What struck me  that is the leaders point differences 

Top 5 last season at this point 47-62 points

This season 46-54

Much more of a bun fight this season , even for autos ( Sheff Utd looking consistent) 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't see why we can't get in the playoffs. We have amazing depth to our squad now and have a solid defence and top goalie. We are very hard to beat.

I think the defence maybe the key. We have a complete back 4 and keeper not playing that you’d not be unhappy with filling in - Fielding, Pisano, Wright, Baker and DaSilva / Kelly. 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

This season 46-54

Much more of a bun fight this season , even for autos ( Sheff Utd looking consistent) 

Also only 4 points separate us from Blackburn in 14th.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes - good point 

17 points spread from 1st to 14th !!

Crazy , and , fascinating

Us a difficult team to beat and keeping on getting results, Hull flying up on the rails from the relegation zone.

It couldn't be a repeat of 10 years ago, could it?

Hull don't have a Windass in their squad  - do they? :shocking:

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

This season 46-54

Looking at the highlights West Brom stuffed Norwich 1-1 yesterday!!!!

There are a lot of draws this season, taking points from both sides.

All it will take is a couple more wins for things to get very interesting now.

I'm starting to feel quite positive again.

Forest next week - we can get something there.

Then Bolton again and a good chance to progress to the last 16.

Swansea at home the week after is a really big test and should tell us how we are really progressing.

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

All it will take is a couple more wins for things to get very interesting now.

I'm starting to feel quite positive again.

Forest next week - we can get something there.

Then Bolton again and a good chance to progress to the last 16.

Swansea at home the week after is a really big test and should tell us how we are really progressing.

Do remember, it's the hope that kills us, not the disappointment!  :)

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned that we are where we are without pressing half as much. That should be a huge positive going into February and March, the time we lost the plot last season.

Nowhere near as much pressing means we don’t look tired like we did 12 months ago. We have a deeper squad as well now.

Good point... This may have been mentioned on another thread about the adoption of more possession based football this season, also I think last years squad became thread bare because of injuries and a lack of depth. 

1 hour ago, Tiree said:

Tinman, why do you so adamantly we are poor this season. This seems to be a much wheeled out nonsense. 

We win, we play well but drop points against top teams West Brom and Leeds away (11 v11) beat Sheff Utd, outplay Norwich, another woodwork from winni g at Derby, win at QRR and. Retford where we have awful history, win impressively at Stoke - How the hell is this 'poor'? 

Anyway you may some good points too. Mainly the positivity is really back at the club (and even on this forum) so yes, we dare dream (and dread going to Hull in May for a clincher!) 

I don’t think we are, you have missed the tone of my post (or it wasn’t clear).   I’m referring to the negative vibes from people who’ve posted on here all season about how rubbish we are, how rubbish LJ is, yet we find ourselves 7th, 2 points off playoffs, and arguably stronger than last season.   I think the word for my comment on being poor on is ‘facetious’!

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

Us a difficult team to beat and keeping on getting results, Hull flying up on the rails from the relegation zone.

It couldn't be a repeat of 10 years ago, could it?

Hull don't have a Windass in their squad  - do they? :shocking:

Maybe we could eliminate them on the last day.

Because it maybe a multi team scrap for the playoffs on April through to the last day- play off decider- who we got final day? Hull away it is!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Looking at the highlights West Brom stuffed Norwich 1-1 yesterday!!!!

There are a lot of draws this season, taking points from both sides.

This weekend was a big, big weekend for us.

Only real way it could have been likely better would have been a Birmingham-Middlesbrough draw. We would have still overtaken the former and the latter would have continued their steady decline, with only a point to show and pressure growing from a resurgent City to play soon. Derby could have drawn at Leeds but they would have taken some confidence there and Sheffield United could have drawn with QPR but had they remained unbeaten that would have kept their confidence ticking over.

I think therefore at this stage, was a near perfect weekend. Big bonuses with Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa losing as they did and a draw at Birmingham would have capped it off.

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This weekend was a big, big weekend for us.

Only real way it could have been likely better would have been a Birmingham-Middlesbrough draw. We would have still overtaken the former and the latter would have continued their steady decline, with only a point to show and pressure growing from a resurgent City to play soon. Derby could have drawn at Leeds but they would have taken some confidence there and Sheffield United could have drawn with QPR but had they remained unbeaten that would have kept their confidence ticking over.

I think therefore at this stage, was a near perfect weekend. Big bonuses with Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa losing as they did and a draw at Birmingham would have capped it off.

It was nigh on perfect indeed.

Am I the only one thoroughly enjoying Villa's form I wonder? Surely they were bound to go up automatically along with Stoke?

Dean Smith doesn't seem to have any more idea how to sort out their defence than Bruce did. No doubt they will soon sign another forward then. ?

11 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

This match week just gone (#27) and we have 41 points. This match week last year we were at 47 points. Considering we had such a good start to last season and and a bad one to this season, our recent form has actually been very impressive 

We didn’t have a bad start to this season..!

We only lost 4 of our first 14 league games (won 6) and accumulated 22 points. 

We then lost 4 on the bounce, but haven’t lost since. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Sorry should have put ‘bad’ in quotation marks, it was referred to as that but doesn’t seem it now we are in jan

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This. While the football has been awful at times and many were done with LJ(I was at that point for a bit), we have been loads more consistent this season. Other than Wolves, every side lost a few on the bounce or had a 4-5 winless streak. 

23 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

This match week just gone (#27) and we have 41 points. This match week last year we were at 47 points. Considering we had such a good start to last season and and a bad one to this season, our recent form has actually been very impressive 

Considering the firepower we lost it was always going to be tough this season. I’d think most would see us as overacheiving. I had us on about 5 points less than last season and about 12-14th. So atm we are doing better than I expected. 

The problem is SL says he wants to be a playoff side this season every chance he gets. Hell we’d all like that but I am not sure it is wise to place that expectation on a side that at best can scrape into the top 10 financially(at best). Other teams have done it on lower budgets but not sure any of them said publicly that was the aim. 

31 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

To me it’s not particularly useful comparing last season with this one.

Have City play the same clubs? and even if they did it’s certain that most, if not all of those clubs will have stronger or have weaker squads. Several will have changed manager as well.

You're right of course that Citys recent form has been impressive - 10 games unbeaten tells us that.

As you’re a  newbie I won’t suggest you change your username to Captain Obvious.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have City play the same clubs? and even if they did it’s certain that most, if not all of those clubs will have stronger or have weaker squads. Several will have changed manager as well.

You're right of course that Citys recent form has been impressive - 10 games unbeaten tells us that.

As you’re a  newbie I won’t suggest you change your username to Captain Obvious.

You are a complete and utter W*****! If you are not interested in reading it.... dont click on it.

Let a newbie enjoy the forum without having to put up with your bitterness all the time. 

?????er

*They are not even new........!

2 minutes ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

You are a complete and utter W*****! If you are not interested in reading it.... dont click on it.

Let a newbie enjoy the forum without having to put up with your bitterness all the time. 

?????er

Morning TM - good to see you’re maintaining your usual standards.................:sleeping:

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why do you bother ?

By your post we can't compare anything that isn't exactly the same, oh you don't like songs either, may as well shut the forum down. 

As football fans, and I include you in that , it's natural to compare everything . Where were we this time last year, how many points , how many goals , how many players had we used , it's what we do week in week out. We had threads comparing the Promotion  side of the 70s to the current one, impossible really , but people enjoy talking about it and after all it's kind of a Forums raison d'etre. 

As for form, not sure it has been impressive. Results have been , but form has been in and out , though I'd say improving. Played very well Vs Derby and Norwich, I'd say well Vs Huddersfield , Stoke and Bolton but poor Vs Brentford , Rotherham , Birmingham and Millwall. It's been important to pick up points when not playing well , we were definitely looking over our shoulders. What this run has allowed us to do is play our way into a little form, and even start looking up at the playoffs. It will be great if we can carry on picking up points , and start to carry more of a goal threat . For all our dominance against Bolton , they had one less shot on target than us, and this was a side that showed virtually no interest in attacking in the first half. It could be asked , if they hadn't scored would we have won ? 

The last couple of years we've not been able to carry on any sort of form when we had got in a decent position in the League, I would say lets see how we go over the next month, but that sounds like I'm looking to compare it to last year so I'll leave it.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Why do you bother ?

By your post we can't compare anything that isn't exactly the same, oh you don't like songs either, may as well shut the forum down. 

As football fans, and I include you in that , it's natural to compare everything . Where were we this time last year, how many points , how many goals , how many players had we used , it's what we do week in week out. We had threads comparing the Promotion  side of the 70s to the current one, impossible really , but people enjoy talking about it and after all it's kind of a Forums raison d'etre. 

As for form, not sure it has been impressive. Results have been , but form has been in and out , though I'd say improving. Played very well Vs Derby and Norwich, I'd say well Vs Huddersfield , Stoke and Bolton but poor Vs Brentford , Rotherham , Birmingham and Millwall. It's been important to pick up points when not playing well , we were definitely looking over our shoulders. What this run has allowed us to do is play our way into a little form, and even start looking up at the playoffs. It will be great if we can carry on picking up points , and start to carry more of a goal threat . For all our dominance against Bolton , they had one less shot on target than us, and this was a side that showed virtually no interest in attacking in the first half. It could be asked , if they hadn't scored would we have won ? 

The last couple of years we've not been able to carry on any sort of form when we had got in a decent position in the League, I would say lets see how we go over the next month, but that sounds like I'm looking to compare it to last year so I'll leave it.

Don't think we were that bad at Birmingham and matching Brentford for possession was an okay aspect given they usually monopolise the ball a better sign, but I agree with the bulk of your post.

As confidence grows, with results, so too can performances- 2 feed off each other.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

7650D230-783C-4D59-8475-3B490BA51626.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Kalas and Webster.

I'll bite

They're up against different teams.... You can't compare them... 

As you said yourself "Have City play the same clubs? and even if they did it’s certain that most, if not all of those clubs will have stronger or have weaker squads. Several will have changed manager as well.

See how bananas your logic is? 

Do yourself a favour and just laugh emoji this and move on and we'll pretend you were 'joking' 

Archived