IGNORED

This time last year....6 points better off (Merged)

Tinmans Love Child

33 minutes ago, Ian M said:

We will overtake last season's performance before long. Over the next 7 games last season (rest of Jan/Feb) we only won 1 game.

@Robbored pretty sure you were comparing our defence to last season the other day saying how much stronger it was now. How can you tell? 

You've gone and done it now! ?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

To me it’s not particularly useful comparing last season with this one.

Have City play the same clubs? and even if they did it’s certain that most, if not all of those clubs will have stronger or have weaker squads. Several will have changed manager as well.

You're right of course that Citys recent form has been impressive - 10 games unbeaten tells us that.

As you’re a  newbie I won’t suggest you change your username to Captain Obvious.

What a King Canute you appear to be.

19 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I'll bite

They're up against different teams.... You can't compare them... 

As you said yourself "Have City play the same clubs? and even if they did it’s certain that most, if not all of those clubs will have stronger or have weaker squads. Several will have changed manager as well.

See how bananas your logic is? 

Do yourself a favour and just laugh emoji this and move on and we'll pretend you were 'joking' 

The goals conceded last season to the goals conceded this time around is irrelevant for the reasons I’ve mentioned before.

City’s defence is stronger now because both Kalas and Webster are far better footballers than Flint was/is.

The two compliment each other’s game - very smart recruitment from LJ.

49 minutes ago, Ian M said:

We will overtake last season's performance before long. Over the next 7 games last season (rest of Jan/Feb) we only won 1 game.

Looking at the way our form drastically tailed off from Jan 2018 onwards and considering the position we are currently in, it’s definitely possible that we can improve on our final standing from last season. 

If someone had said that to me back in November after the Preston match I’d have laughed at them.

Im not sure we’ve got enough to break into and stay in the Play Offs but any improvement at this level is very welcome.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The goals conceded last season to the goals conceded this time around is irrelevant for the reasons I’ve mentioned before.

City’s defence is stronger now because both Kalas and Webster are far better footballers than Flint was/is.

Love how you put these two sentences right next to each other 

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I really shouldn’t but anyway.

how can you say our defence is stronger without comparing???? 

I think as a pair they are brilliant , but if you are going to come out with statements at least be consistent. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

To me it’s not particularly useful comparing last season with this one.

Have City play the same clubs? and even if they did it’s certain that most, if not all of those clubs will have stronger or have weaker squads. Several will have changed manager as well.

You're right of course that Citys recent form has been impressive - 10 games unbeaten tells us that.

As you’re a  newbie I won’t suggest you change your username to Captain Obvious.

:sleeping:

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

how can you say our defence is stronger without comparing???? 

I think as a pair they are brilliant , but if you are going to come out with statements at least be consistent. 

You’ve answered the question you asked me..........:cool2:

I

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As a  team we are stronger defensively, and this ties in with the fact that we seem to have a better mentality ( tougher and more resilient?) on the pitch, evidenced by the lack of late goals conceded this season.

No doubt Kalas and Webster are a big part of that, but, being better footballers than Flint doesn't, in itself, make them better defenders than him, any more than it makes Flint less of a defender. It is the defensive unit - including full backs and keeper - that have made a difference. It must make a difference to a defence to have confidence in the keeper behind you, and for the keeper to have a solid defence in front.  

There seems little doubt that we are more pragmatic this season, but the knock on from this is at the other end of the pitch , where we have not been so prolific.Webster and Kalas have played a huge part in the defensive performances this season, but I think it unfair to put the improvement solely down to the

For what it's worth, and from the relatively little I've been able to see of him,  I think Webster could turn out to be one of our best ever signings.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt Webster in particular has been very impressive so far this season but yeah, it’s the whole defence that deserves the plaudits including Pack who plays a very important role in protecting the back four.

Would you say this seasons defence is better than last seasons? 

Webster has been a worthy successor to the mighty Flint. He might not score as many goals from set pieces, but he certainly is just as dependable in defence.

Kalas and DaSilva (and it's looking like Palmer) are bloody decent players, as we've come to expect from Chelsea. Great their loanees fit-in and want to make the most of their time here, as opposed to a certain chippy little big shot who thought he was above us last January...

23 hours ago, Tiree said:

Tinman, why do you so adamantly we are poor this season. This seems to be a much wheeled out nonsense. 

We win, we play well but drop points against top teams West Brom and Leeds away (11 v11) beat Sheff Utd, outplay Norwich, another woodwork from winni g at Derby, win at QRR and. Retford where we have awful history, win impressively at Stoke - How the hell is this 'poor'? 

Anyway you may some good points too. Mainly the positivity is really back at the club (and even on this forum) so yes, we dare dream (and dread going to Hull in May for a clincher!) 

If we can’t beat Retford United then Johnson really does have to go!!’

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

We didn’t have a bad start to this season..!

We only lost 4 of our first 14 league games (won 6) and accumulated 22 points. 

We then lost 4 on the bounce, but haven’t lost since. 

So first 14, we were 6-4-4.

2nd 14 with a win on Saturday we'll be 6-4-4.

Seems quite consistent to me disregarding very short term runs.

I think I'd take 6-4-4 from the next 14 after Forest to give us 66 from 42 with say 2 point per game required over the final 4.

Seems to me that this year we might have fewer ‘essential’ players, ones we need in the line up to play our best (Reid, Flint, Bryan), and instead have a greater depth of slightly less talented maybe but similarly skilled players in a well drilled system designed to get the most out of them.

This is a change from the last few seasons, where key players like Tammy, Kodjia, and even Tomlin would be the key to unlocking games, and them not turning up/being out would sometimes hole us below the waterline, is that I kind of trust the squad to give us a pretty balanced level of performance each time out.

Hopefully additions like Palmer and maybe purple patches from the (well overdue) Wiemann, Taylor and Fammy can keep this ticking over, and am fascinated to see how we cope with a slumped Forest side, likely now buoyed by O’Neil’s arrival.

A solid performance and something from that game (win or draw) then leave us with a home cup game against a team I can only imagine won’t be bothered playing a first team when they are fighting for relegation/actual future and that we just beat, which I hope allows us to rest key players in time for the visit of Swansea, another key upper-midtable battle.

Think we’ll get a the measure of the team’s potential over the next couple of weeks, as well as the club’s ambitions for the season, based off our transfer dealings.

On 13/01/2019 at 03:04, Tinmans Love Child said:

This time last year we were only 6 points better off, after 27 games, and had only scored 6 more goals!  I know it’s a different season and doesn’t matter, but the unanimous opinion is that the first half of last season was great (which it was) but it didn’t actually yield that much more after 27 games than this season has when we’ve been poor, and lost 3 of our best players.  The big difference this year seems to be that we started slow and are now picking up momentum, rather than shooting our bolt early and running out of steam.  Dare we dream???

5A25E86D-E3C4-4754-907B-0961E9245EA8.jpeg

29C0F26A-F5DE-482D-8F91-D7F0783C050D.jpeg

I often dream of shooting my bolt!

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

So first 14, we were 6-4-4.

2nd 14 with a win on Saturday we'll be 6-4-4.

Seems quite consistent to me disregarding very short term runs.

I think I'd take 6-4-4 from the next 14 after Forest to give us 66 from 42 with say 2 point per game required over the final 4.

Could be a cracking run in with those last four being:

Reading (H) - likely to either be just safe already or battling hard for every point as they try to save a season. Could possibly be already relegated.

Sheff Wed (A) - Probably will be on the beach.

Frank Lampard's Derby County Football Club (H) - an all to play for play off decider!

Hull (A) - On current form Hull will already be promoted...but seriously, could be another play off decider on the final day!

Archived