IGNORED

Matty Taylor intelligent footballer

Ian Crabbe

Does anyone think the same as me and other people in S22 when we think this guy 

is one of the quickest thinking footballers out there,thought at the time and more so

after seeing highlights of yesterday’s game how many other players would have dinked

up a high ball across the box and not looked at where the keeper had moved to,giving 

him a tiny space at the near post to score,always feel confident when he comes on.

My opinion is not going to be liked but I find the whole hype around him odd. He's over rated IMO. 

He has no pace and his thinking is just as slow as his legs. He's had small runs in the team and not taken his chance. 

Games goals ratio isn't good. 

Not all negative , players clearly love him and he seems to be well liked amongst supporters. 

He's also 100% professional and hasn't thrown his toys out of his pram when he hasn't been picked.

A good squad player but that's where it ends for me.

45 minutes ago, Ian Crabbe said:

is one of the quickest thinking footballers out there,thought at the time and more so

after seeing highlights of yesterday’s game how many other players would have dinked

up a high ball across the box and not looked at where the keeper had moved to,giving 

him a tiny space at the near post to score,always feel confident when he comes on.

His movement around the box is far better than any other at the Club...he's constantly moving and looking for space or to block moves.

He's a very clever player.

So many just sit in a straight line on the shoulders of their opposite number. This is why a lot of our build up play is laboured...when we get to the final third, we stop moving around the box.

Taylor constantly moves...and reads the game well.

I'd play him instead of Weimann...in a 4321

51 minutes ago, Ian Crabbe said:

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

My opinion is not going to be liked but I find the whole hype around him odd. He's over rated IMO. 

He has no pace and his thinking is just as slow as his legs. He's had small runs in the team and not taken his chance. 

Games goals ratio isn't good. 

Not all negative , players clearly love him and he seems to be well liked amongst supporters. 

He's also 100% professional and hasn't thrown his toys out of his pram when he hasn't been picked.

A good squad player but that's where it ends for me.

Somewhere in between for me. 

He gave us a much needed 'directness' yesterday and was involved in everything good after he came on.

Also I think defenders hate to play against him as he gets right in their faces.

All said and done, I think he is a great impact player and yesterday he was given 30 mins, in too many games he is given hardly any time to influence the result.

Yes I think his thinking and awareness is on another level to some of the players, I’m not necessarily saying it’s superior but  his quality could well be missed by players who aren’t so quick thinking. his spatial awareness on the pitch is really excellent sometimes. 

I could see him shaking his head in frustration because he didn’t get the pass when he was in acres of space, not in a petulant way at all. Another time was when he whipped that cross in across the goal and both players missed it, he was gesturing that they should have headed it instead of trying to kick it.

I hope he plays more, especially with Kasey coming in.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

His movement around the box is far better than any other at the Club...he's constantly moving and looking for space or to block moves.

So many just sit in a straight line on the shoulders of their opposite number. This is why a lot of our build up play is laboured...when we get to the final third, we stop moving around the box.

100%. He moves like no one else at the club which is why we always look so much more dangerous with him on the pitch.

The almost complete lack of movement into space from most of our players in possession is infuriating at times.

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

I would play Scrumpy in front of Weimann at the moment.

He is stealing a living at present.

I assume he is our top earner and offers absolutely nothing.

I like this snippet that I’ve just seen on Facebook...! 

Matty Taylor is a Red..! 

Korey Smith was in the commentary booth for the BCTV+ coverage yesterday and he took credit for Matty Taylor’s goal. He claims he told MT pre-match that whenever he got the ball he should have a shot or he’d need to give Smith a fiver.

“That was all the motivation I needed,” said Taylor. “That was a week’s wages when I was at Rovers.”

4 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

I would play Scrumpy in front of Weimann at the moment.

He is stealing a living at present.

I assume he is our top earner and offers absolutely nothing.

I really dislike that saying...but that’s just me.

Weimann has a decent game imho yesterday, had a couple of shots, one hit the bar, him and Hunt linked well, and he got 2 excellent crosses in, one of which Diedhiou should’ve done much better with but slipped.  Does a lot of unseen work dragging his marker short or wide to create space.

I accept the end output of goals isn’t there at the mo’, 20 games I think, but he dies more than just “run around”.

I think some fans pre-determined not to like him because he came from the Rovers.

He’s not really had a decent injury free run in the side since he’s joined and he looked like he’s lost a few pounds since I last him last. 

He’s never going to be prolific at this level but his intelligence, movement and creation of space could be an important factor in how well we do for the rest of the season - especially if Fam, Palmer and others can contribute consistent goals. 

I sort of agree that Taylor is maybe a bit more of an impact player but I stand by my

comments about his intelligence if you watch him closely hardly ever gives the ball 

away and always looking for the pass inside the full back,only reason he doesn’t get

onto the pass Is  because the pass doesn’t happen.

Different topic I know but Weimann as any Derby or Vanilla fan will tell you isn’t a winger,

as proved in first 6 games of season,play players in their strongest positions,don’t play them

just because you think they’re better footballers than others.

I don't really rate Taylor as such , short of what we want , or need as a starting striker.
He usually makes a difference when he comes on, but in my opinion that has a lot to do with him playing up front which is different from what has been played before he comes on. The extra body, the defence having to cope with the extra threat. One part of his game I like is his movement , he keeps pulling the defence around, which as a lone striker Fam doesn't do enough. I wouldn't mind seeing either Taylor or Weimann up top now we have Palmer, it may give us another dimension. 

I feel sorry for Weimann , he's playing almost as a wide MF . He does a job, and works hard , but it's not been helping HIS game. When everyones fit , I wouldn't be surprised if Brownhill is pushed out wide again, hope not though. 
Back to

Archived