IGNORED

Jay DaSilva

Dullmoan Tone

Forgiving Kelly for gifting them the goal, there were two defence splitting cross balls in the first half which he didn't just miss control, they didn't even make contact with his boot. Unacceptable at this level even under pressure, which we weren't. I'm unconvinced, and with Da Silva to watch as a comparison I think Kelly is massively over-hyped. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

He didn't have a particularly good game going forward today. Made one bad mistake for the goal but was otherwise pretty solid. I think generally he's been either excellent or very good in most games. And he will be a centre back in the future. When I saw him for England under 21s against italy at centre back, he looked far better than Tamori alongside him. The kid is an unbelievable talent imo. He had Tom Ince in his back pocket. And many other wingers in his back pocket earlier in the season. He has had 2 or 3 not so good games in the last month or so which happens with young players. They don't generally start off amazing like Lloyd and maintain that level. He got called up to the main England squad to train. Prem clubs are interested. Its not like it's just us fans that rate him, it's expert coaches and scouts. This kid is a special talent.

I've seen him play well , don't get me wrong, but I've also seen him making the same kind of errors that got Maggers crucified for last season. I'll accept that he may be better at centre back, but we get little opportunity to judge him on that. Offensively he offers very little , and despite the fact he's a very solid defender he has lapses in concentration. As for Ince, I'd want to have someone better than that in my back pocket before I called myself special.

I like this guy, I really do. Nothing too flashy, just a very capable young footballer with a good touch and brain. I really hope he doesn't change his mind and does sign on a permanent. Well played, Jay today.

PS Lovely to see Lloyd at the end (FT) seeming pretty OK about things. He had a bad game by his standards, but it's all about learning.

For me, Lee did the right thing to sub him.

All's well that ends well

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He didn't have a particularly good game going forward today. Made one bad mistake for the goal but was otherwise pretty solid. I think generally he's been either excellent or very good in most games. And he will be a centre back in the future. When I saw him for England under 21s against italy at centre back, he looked far better than Tamori alongside him. The kid is an unbelievable talent imo. He had Tom Ince in his back pocket. And many other wingers in his back pocket earlier in the season. He has had 2 or 3 not so good games in the last month or so which happens with young players. They don't generally start off amazing like Lloyd and maintain that level. He got called up to the main England squad to train. Prem clubs are interested. Its not like it's just us fans that rate him, it's expert coaches and scouts. This kid is a special talent.

Well said JD...easy to forget that on today’s performance he defended well (bar the goal).

@Davefevsinteresting take on how you see Da Silva because I think the majority of the time you can pick out a decent player by the way he receives the ball and already knows what he's going to do with it before it arrives. Coupled with the fact he has two good feet and a fair bit of pace I think he'd be a great signing for us.

Another good cameo today. Personally would of started with him as it was probable that we were going to be on the attack a lot & he gives you so much more going forward than Kelly does. I’m surprised that we have a fee in place for him, almost amazed! Would be a great signing if we can pull it off. I’m fairly sure I saw somewhere that Ian Wright said he was potentially the best left back in the Premier not long ago! COYR 

4 hours ago, kivsy said:

In theory , if we sold kelly for £15 million , could we say buy kalas and de Silva for the above price ?

Thst way strengthening the team. 

£15 million, did you see him play today he was bloody awful if he was trying to put off potential suitors could not have done a better job hope it was deliberate HA! HA!

30 minutes ago, pillred said:

£15 million, did you see him play today he was bloody awful if he was trying to put off potential suitors could not have done a better job hope it was deliberate HA! HA!

You know what, the constant LK love in and the the LK bashing really pisses me off. Why are our fans so quick to jump on his back?

This is his first full season, why do people like yourselves expect him to play like he is the finished article?

Surely as a young player we should accept that from time to time they will make mistakes, I remember Matt Hill making some horrendous mistakes for us but he turned out to be a decent championship player.

I think this is the problem with English football, all the way down to children's football. We big players up, we heap loads of pressure on them and as soon as they make mistakes we are quick to criticise them. 

9 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Offensively I think he's been excellent in many games. He's drilled in so many great crosses. Ipswich game he was superb and won us that match by getting forward. And you don't think a teenager with something like just over 20 professional games having Tom Ince in his back pocket isn't a bit special? How about all the others he has dealt with so easily like Maghoma when we beat Birmingham away. Even last season away at Watford in the cup he stood out as a special talent. Watford fans were saying what a player he was that night. 

Honestly don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good player and of course I think he has time to become even better. The drilled crosses bother me a little as , even though highly effective at times , it's often the wrong option to use when he's run out of space and ideas. Bit of a one trick.

However I'm not trying to suggest I don't rate him , I'm just suggesting that we appear to allow him to get away with a lot more than anyone else would on here , and I wonder at what point age stops becoming an excuse.

10 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree wholeheartedly with all comments. If there is a negative side, it appears to be a lack of urgency at times, resulting in mistakes like yesterday just before Bolton scored.

Perhaps he always wants to get past opponents and keep possession for the team? Maybe needs to learn that sometimes the pass to row "Z" is the best thing to do.

This is not a slagging as for his first full season in the first team, he is a joy to watch. And is constantly improving.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

You know what, the constant LK love in and the the LK bashing really pisses me off. Why are our fans so quick to jump on his back?

This is his first full season, why do people like yourselves expect him to play like he is the finished article?

Surely as a young player we should accept that from time to time they will make mistakes, I remember Matt Hill making some horrendous mistakes for us but he turned out to be a decent championship player.

I think this is the problem with English football, all the way down to children's football. We big players up, we heap loads of pressure on them and as soon as they make mistakes we are quick to criticise them. 

Don't expect him to play like the finished article, but when fans come out with ridiculous valuations like £15 million well at the moment he is worth nothing like that, he may be one day but certainly not at this moment in his career.

With everyone creaming themselves about the impact made by Taylor and Palmer yesterday, I thought I should give a mention to Jay DaSilva.

I thought his introduction was just as positive and he really brightened things up on the left side.

Lloyd Kelly hasn't been himself lately and it was another bit of casual playby him that led to Bolron's goal (not for the first time).

I think DaSilva has earned himself a start against Forest next week.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Don't expect him to play like the finished article, but when fans come out with ridiculous valuations like £15 million well at the moment he is worth nothing like that, he may be one day but certainly not at this moment in his career.

Even with a few bad performances he is still worth that. 

We will not sell him for under 10 million imo due to his potential and him being on a long contract. If a club like Liverpool want to buy him then they are not paying for the player he is today, they are paying for the player he will be in the future.

I think there is a few things going on with Lloyd, this is his first full season, the Xmas period may just be catching up with him and maybe the pressure of all these scouts are getting to him a little.

44 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Even with a few bad performances he is still worth that. 

We will not sell him for under 10 million imo due to his potential and him being on a long contract. If a club like Liverpool want to buy him then they are not paying for the player he is today, they are paying for the player he will be in the future.

I think there is a few things going on with Lloyd, this is his first full season, the Xmas period may just be catching up with him and maybe the pressure of all these scouts are getting to him a little.

A few people around me yesterday commented that he had not been the same since the Liverpool interest, hope he soon forgets about that and goes back to being the player we know he can be.

Had a couple of poor games recently, mixed with good ones, he will though , he's still young and new to the first team. 
I was actually surprised he played Kelly yesterday, he has seemed to play Kelly when he wants a more defensive shape, and DaSilva when we want to attack more. Yesterday was tailor made for DaSilva from the start. I do wonder if it's a mental/concentration thing. Rio Ferdinand always had a mistake a game in him when he was at West Ham, strikes me as a similar character and he looks very relaxed on the ball. I wonder if yesterday , with the almost complete lack of threat for the major part of the game, he just went to sleep a little. Something that can be rectified in time.

Kelly IMO will be the better long term prospect. 

Kelly is a Center back that won’t shake any of our four very good CBs from the side but does keep a natural left back out. 

Kelly is excellent and it’s a sign of how far we have come recently that every mistake of ANY particular player gets jumped on as ‘x’ had a bad game, by some!

Desilva is a very good young player too and like Kelly is not scared to go forward. 

We have an embarrassment of riches when you throw in Webster, Kalas (not our player yet but likely on a similar deal as Desilva) Brownhill Odowda (despite some of the dumb shit written here) etc etc etc! Even Taylor who routinely turns situations off the bench

We have found a way of doing things and it works. The only downers for me are that we can’t/won’t pay big money for a forward and LJs comment that if two come in two may go out, so be prepared to lose aBrownhill or the like hopefully for a big bag of money! 

23 hours ago, kivsy said:

In theory , if we sold kelly for £15 million , could we say buy kalas and de Silva for the above price ?

Thst way strengthening the team. 

Rumour on here is that we could potentially buy both for less than half of that price.

It seems remarkably though but that said, Chelsea will need to do some sort of mass sale before long.

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Rumour on here is that we could potentially buy both for less than half of that price

If we can get Kalas as Da Silva in exchange for LK then that would be an amazing piece of business. Id lick my way home after the game if that happened, which is probably quicker than the AG1 service

Like everyone else, I’m impressed by DaSilva on the ball and moving forward. 

On the other hand, I’m not so convinced yet as a full back with a skilful winger running at him. How good a plain defender/tackler is he? I’m instinctively nervous about him in those circumstances.

What do others think?

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:08, Nibor said:

I'd play him instead of O'Dowda and keep Kelly in the side.

Nah, not for me. DaSilva and COD link up really well. Since Callum's form has returned we look so much stronger moving the ball. Kelly (and I do love him!) is just slows the play up - too casual and laboured when under pressure in dangerous areas

Archived