IGNORED

Martin O'Neill

Super

6 minutes ago, Tiree said:

Very few on here will have seen us win at Forest so hope we can sell out. I don't have the stats but it feels there haven't been so many 'bounces' this season with new managers. Thoughts? 

Didn't we win there a few years ago? Chris Wood penalty? 

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Will make it harder for us Saturday.

In addition to the new manager bounce, the fact that new manager is a former player hero, returning as manager...crowd will get a big lift.

To balance that, you have to remember that this is a man who once spent 8.5million on Nigel Reo-Coker.

Not appointed yet - but a number of sources suggesting it is imminent.

Be interesting to see if Roy Keane, himself an ex Forest player - joins him as Assistant Manager.

O'Neil has a strong reputation of not spending much time on the pitches at the training ground, so very old school in that respect. His choices of Assistant and First Coach will therefore be crucial.

9 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Is he another old school manager who’s past his sell by date though.

It’s also nearly 6 years since he was a club manager. The game has changed an awful lot in that time. 

It’s an interesting appointment that could easily go very wrong, imo. 

51 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How will this affect us ? 

In the long run I dont think  O’Neill will take them up but we will be facing a different animal on Saturday due to the famous ‘ dead cat ‘ bounce .

Still we can win it .

They still have loads of injuries I think a draw is likely

39 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

We won at Forest 3 (?) seasons ago. 2-1. Flint with the winner from a corner.  Forest were bang average.

(Just checked): Feb 27th 2016. 

Looking forward to my second trip there. 

Score first, silence the crowd etc. The usual. 

Came from behind that day. My eldest daughters first away game

I'm not worried about MON going there. I'd have been more worried by the ex Fulham manager going there (can't remember, or spell his name)

Will probably help with the crowd, but no reason why we can't go there and keep this run going

35 minutes ago, Tiree said:

Very few on here will have seen us win at Forest so hope we can sell out. I don't have the stats but it feels there haven't been so many 'bounces' this season with new managers. Thoughts? 

All this "new manager bounce" is just a fallacy, I read some stats (a couple of years ago), and the win averages were no different than normal for a new manager to get a win. 

With their massive defensive problems they are there for the taking, with or without O'Neill. 

38 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Be interesting to see if Roy Keane, himself an ex Forest player - joins him as Assistant Manager.

O'Neil has a strong reputation of not spending much time on the pitches at the training ground, so very old school in that respect. His choices of Assistant and First Coach will therefore be crucial.

The BBC account: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46864924

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Didn’t some post a picture of Roy Keane at Ashton Gate on Saturday?

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

To balance that, you have to remember that this is a man who once spent 8.5million on Nigel Reo-Coker.

Decent player ...... was made captain of Villa by two different managers...represented his country on 26 occasions....O’Neill took Villa to three consecutive 6th place finishes in the premier league....good appointment for Forest...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Decent player ...... was made captain of Villa by two different managers...represented his country on 26 occasions....O’Neill took Villa to three consecutive 6th place finishes in the premier league....good appointment for Forest...

He did overall rather well there, but made quite a few duff buys too, in the mid-range price range. At a time when it was feasible for a Villa to break the top 4 and build on it.

I think it's bad news for us that this has just happened as there is bound to be a short term reaction form the players.

I am intrigued as to how this is going to work out; he was an excellent manager back in the nineties but that was a long time ago and his record since is best described as patchy.

It looks like a rose tinted appointment which Forest are known for after keeping Brian Clough when his days of brilliant management, and they were, were many years in the past and he had become a liability.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Came from behind that day. My eldest daughters first away game

I'm not worried about MON going there. I'd have been more worried by the ex Fulham manager going there (can't remember, or spell his name)

Will probably help with the crowd, but no reason why we can't go there and keep this run going

Absolutely. Given the club rivalry with the in-laws (and wife) I would have been gutted to see Jokanovic go there. He’s who I would have liked to replace LJ. 

Archived