IGNORED

Martin O'Neill

Super

Wow. Martin O’Neill. Didn’t see that coming. Not sure how I feel about this. A forest legend yes but is he still up to date with modern methods. Anyway he will have my full backing....Well until we lose to Bristol City on Saturday

Well let's hope he's a bit creaky in getting off the mark. Whatever LJ is doing at the moment, long may it continue.

?

?

?

?

55 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think it's bad news for us that this has just happened as there is bound to be a short term reaction form the players.

I am intrigued as to how this is going to work out; he was an excellent manager back in the nineties but that was a long time ago and his record since is best described as patchy.

It looks like a rose tinted appointment which Forest are known for after keeping Brian Clough when his days of brilliant management, and they were, were many years in the past and he had become a liability.

I remember going to Keegan's first game as Newcastle's manager. No way were we ever getting anything that day. Mind you, we were utter dogshit.

58 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think it's bad news for us that this has just happened as there is bound to be a short term reaction form the players.

I am intrigued as to how this is going to work out; he was an excellent manager back in the nineties but that was a long time ago and his record since is best described as patchy.

It looks like a rose tinted appointment which Forest are known for after keeping Brian Clough when his days of brilliant management, and they were, were many years in the past and he had become a liability.

Yep, great at Wycombe, decent at Leicester, ok at Celtic (not the hardest job in the world)... and then what?  Not much.

I don't think this will work medium to long term for Forest but I can see it being tough for us.

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I remember going to Keegan's first game as Newcastle's manager. No way were we ever getting anything that day. Mind you, we were utter dogshit.

I had a real mental block with this. In my mind we were ok first half and should have scored , then just gave up. I even used to think we lost 5-0 , but I think I checked recently and it was just 3-0. . Loads of Geordies in our bit too.

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've never seen us win there, as I unfortunately have never visited the ground. Saw us play at Meadow Lane yonks ago, but sadly that doesn't look as if it's going to be a league ground for much longer ?

I don't like to see Notts County in that position; decent club and decent fans.

I went to Meadow Lane in the mid 90s, Stuart Naylor kept kicking the ball up for us to knock back in the warm up.  The ground was deserted, about 4k in a 20k newish stadium.

The funniest bit of the trip was that I went with three college mates as it was the first time we'd played for ages because County had been in the top division under Neil Warnock so we hadn't played for years.  I was known as the Bristol City fan, a mate was known as the Notts County fan so somebody suggested the trip.  Somebody else drove and we headed for Nottingham and when there said for the Notts County fan to direct.  He was a bit vague but got to us the ground.  It was a bit odd because despite being ?1pm on a match day the streets were deserted, we got out of the car and walked to the ground. Somebody asked "Why is it red?" and then somebody spotted a painting of Brian Clough through the window.  The penny collectively dropped and we got back into the car and crossed the river Trent to the right ground.

The Notts County fan who used to go on about them so much had never even been to the ground despite living just outside Nottingham; and hadn't even thought to find out where it was before the trip. We didn't mention it again. Much.

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't like to see Notts County in that position; decent club and decent fans.

I went to Meadow Lane in the mid 90s, Stuart Naylor kept kicking the ball up for us

The funniest bit of the trip was that I went with three college mates as it was the first time we'd played for ages because County had been in the top division under Neil Warnock so we hadn't played for years.  I was known as the Bristol City fan, a mate was known as the Notts County fan so somebody suggested the trip.  Somebody else drove and we headed for Nottingham and when there said for the Notts County fan to direct.  He was a bit vague but got to us the ground.  It was a bit odd because despite being ?1pm on a match day the streets were deserted, we got out of the car and walked to the ground. Somebody asked "Why is it red?" and then somebody spotted a painting of Brian Clough through the window.  The penny collectively dropped and we got back into the car and crossed the river Trent to the right ground.

The Notts County fan who used to go on about them so much had never even been to the ground despite living just outside Nottingham; and hadn't even thought to find out where it was before the trip. We didn't mention it again. Much.

I think that would have been the same game I saw!  I was working for a month on an "exchange scheme" for BBC East Midlands, and got to really appreciate Nottingham as a city. 

A County fan called Colin from BBC East Mids took me along. Colin was a very dour, pessimistic character. I think that's what a lifetime of supporting County does. :laughcont:

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I had a real mental block with this. In my mind we were ok first half and should have scored , then just gave up. I even used to think we lost 5-0 , but I think I checked recently and it was just 3-0. . Loads of Geordies in our bit too.

We lost 3-0, then 5-0 the next season....I went to both!

I think it's called masochism.

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think that would have been the same game I saw!  I was working for a month on an "exchange scheme" for BBC East Midlands, and got to really appreciate Nottingham as a city. 

A County fan called Colin from BBC East Mids took me along. Colin was a very dour, pessimistic character. I think that's what a lifetime of supporting County does. :laughcont:

Or because he was called Colin ?

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

What’s Dave Bassett up to these days?..

Making poor jokes about his daughter and oral sex on Sky Sports last time I saw him

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Absolutely. Given the club rivalry with the in-laws (and wife) I would have been gutted to see Jokanovic go there. He’s who I would have liked to replace LJ. 

You want LJ replaced? You should talk about it more, that surprises me ?

34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Whenever you hear an interview with Jake Bugg ( who is a lifelong County fan) and he gets asked who he supports he always says `County` in a sort of semi-depressed resigned tone - it`s not helped by that East Midlands accent either!

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Yep, great at Wycombe, decent at Leicester, ok at Celtic (not the hardest job in the world)... and then what?  Not much.

I don't think this will work medium to long term for Forest but I can see it being tough for us.

He was pretty decent at Villa as I recall; three 6th place finishes and at least one cup final; curiously overlooked by you there.

Nothing much works medium to long term in football does it.

3 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Think it's a good appointment, has the history, done great jobs at Wycombe, Leicester, Celtic and Villa. Forest happy to splash the cash makes me think they will be Premier league fairly soon

Think they've used up a decent allowance for the season personally- he may have to trade somewhat unless he gets them up this year.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think they've used up a decent allowance for the season personally- he may have to trade somewhat unless he gets them up this year.

I wouldn’t put money on him taking them up any time soon. 

He will make them harder to beat I expect but just feel that he is a bit of a «  yesterday’s man «  .

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It seems a good time to revisit O’Neill’s quote when he was manager of non league Wycombe Wanderers and the sags approached him to be their manager - he rebutted their offer saying he thought ‘Wycombe had more potential than Bristol Rovers..’

Ah, so that's where all the bitterness and "rivalry" stems from is it? :)

Archived