IGNORED

Did 9,000 City fans travel to Nottingham Forest way back in 1989?

Never to the dark side

I was in the bottom section of the stand, paid for mine and a mates ticket with the proceeds of a £50 fruit machine win the previous week! Remember the night so well, went absolutely mental when Mardon scored!

Also recall Joe Jordan saying in an interview "we had 8,000 here tonight".

Fantastic memories...

Wasn’t there a lot of trouble after the match, the coaches had dropped us off and then moved then parked elsewhere or something, I remember a lot of confusion. One bloke was only asking where the coaches were and a police dog bit a chunk out of his stomach right near me. There were masses of fans swarming everywhere trying to get at eachother. I’m sure it was this match?

Me and my son was there along with a large inflatible bannana our mini bus just could not leave the pub in ashbee and we got there late remeber running over trent bridge cluthing bannana was totaly amazed at the size of our following i to purchased cassette of match and woul fast forward to goal the commentator screaming when that goal went in the whole ot the far side went up far more city fans here than we thought still brings a tear to my eyes now how i love this football club and endless memories it has gave me

43 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Me and my son was there along with a large inflatible bannana our mini bus just could not leave the pub in ashbee and we got there late remeber running over trent bridge cluthing bannana was totaly amazed at the size of our following i to purchased cassette of match and woul fast forward to goal the commentator screaming when that goal went in the whole ot the far side went up far more city fans here than we thought still brings a tear to my eyes now how i love this football club and endless memories it has gave me

Forest fans had a huge blow up banana to the left of us. Written down the side it said "Forest Fyffes, Bristol City Nil"

It deflated very quickly when we scored.

36 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

What a night

What a goal

2nd leg - the weather, that poor bloke collapsing and dying (?) on the pitch pre match, and Walsh's 90th minute strike. I've hated Garry Parker ever since. Really should let go of that one and come to peace with it all

I remember sheltering up against the wall outside from the rain and howling rain at the home leg. Got absolutely soaked in the Open End.

gargh, this was the season before I started going down, heard so many stories about this! both matches sound absolutely mad in terms of atmosphere, shenanigans and sheer mad, old school thrills! 

There was a brilliant video once on Youtube (I think courtesy of @1960maaan?) of the pre-match build-up Ashton Gate. Immense noise. Watching it is enough to send a shiver down the spine! 

2 hours ago, Toffee dog said:

Yeah I thought it was around 8-9000, there were a lot os there. Once the madness had died down after Mardon’s goal I was some distance lower down the terrace from my original position!

I also was moved a long way from my original starting point and lost a shoe, never to be found !!!!

As a younger fan reading these nostalgic thread always makes me feel like I've missed the glory days of BCFC support and football in general. Seems to be that the atmospheres generated back in the day were immense, as well as some of the classic chants. I'd give a lot to go to one of those kind of games. Shame the way the modern game is going. ?

41 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I remember sheltering up against the wall outside from the rain and howling rain at the home leg. Got absolutely soaked in the Open End.

I was in the East End. Pretty sure we still got soaked and freezing, was blowing an absolute hoolie, wasn't it?

I remember we got there early and were penned in one section of the away end, but as more and more arrived, they moved people across section after section until the whole end was filled. I also remember my dad who would have been well into his 60's then being the most excited he had ever been at the game. When Mardon's goal went in, he was jumping up and down for about a minute shouting "we've scored, we've scored". Absolute scenes!!! 

34 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I was in the East End. Pretty sure we still got soaked and freezing, was blowing an absolute hoolie, wasn't it?

I was in that section of the old Open End that still had home fans in it, I stood at the very back against the railings. I was completely soaked from head to foot, through a coat a mac and other items of clothing. 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember we got there early and were penned in one section of the away end, but as more and more arrived, they moved people across section after section until the whole end was filled. I also remember my dad who would have been well into his 60's then being the most excited he had ever been at the game. When Mardon's goal went in, he was jumping up and down for about a minute shouting "we've scored, we've scored". Absolute scenes!!! 

I was in that section of the old Open End that still had home fans in it, I stood at the very back against the railings. I was completely soaked from head to foot, through a coat a mac and other items of clothing. 

Stop teasing us, you minx.

Archived