IGNORED

Did 9,000 City fans travel to Nottingham Forest way back in 1989?

Never to the dark side

43 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I was in the East End. Pretty sure we still got soaked and freezing, was blowing an absolute hoolie, wasn't it?

I was behind the goal (just to the left) and yep the rain and wind was driving in on us.

Walsh's shot hitting the post and spinning in the mud haunts me to this day.

6 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I was behind the goal (just to the left) and yep the rain and wind was driving in on us.

Walsh's shot hitting the post and spinning in the mud haunts me to this day.

Wonder if Walshy ever wakes up in a cold sweat about that moment

The most loved City player of his generation (?), there would be a statue next to Big John of him if that one had gone in

Great times to be a City fan. What a team we had back then

About 9,000 is what I remember hearing. Damn, that drive up to Notts. The most epic convoy of City coaches I've ever seen! Motorway services were carnage.

And yes @The GasbusterI remember that blow up banana well! Gave me a chuckle.

The terraces really were sardines. We were crammed so tight I had to smoke a fag with my arm up in the air, over my head. And forget going off for a piss! There were several near me that just went where they stood. haha

Of all the many away days (and nights), one of my faves, even with the Pender og.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think it was bigger than that Starti

It was more than Anfield and I thought it around the 9k

We had the whole length of the lower stand down one side besides a packed large chunk of terrace 

May well be right, of course they never gave out away crowds in them days. I know we were sardine like in the away terrace !

2 minutes ago, OneCity said:

About 9,000 is what I remember hearing. Damn, that drive up to Notts. The most epic convoy of City coaches I've ever seen! Motorway services were carnage.

The terraces really were sardines. We were crammed so tight I had to smoke a fag with my arm up in the air, over my head. And forget going off for a piss! There were several near me that just went where they stood. haha

Of all the many away days (and nights), one of my faves, even with the Pender og.

I imagine it depends very much on where you were at any particular stage of the journey, but the two motorway trips that stand out very clearly in my memory were the epic relegation decider at Coventry and, just a few years earlier, the promotion clash at West Brom.

The mass of coaches, cars and mini-buses en route to Coventry, late afternoon, was a sight to be seen, but I shall never forget the huge queue on the motorway slip road leading to The Hawthorns; red and white scarves everywhere and hundreds, myself included, leaving their vehicles to relieve themselves on the verge of the motorway.  

I was just a young un and had gone to the previous round at Bradford so thought I was our lucky charm!!

Never seen scenes like at the ground , City everywhere the biggest away following I’d seen since 86 and Wembley. Horrible night for football which really helped us . Felt so sick as we was all squashed in under the floodlight. Stood on the enclosure for the home leg , think it was on the Sunday , and we took them very close but it wasn’t to be . 

Think we played Aldershot , Oxford and Palace at home during that cup run 

21 minutes ago, shelts said:

I was just a young un and had gone to the previous round at Bradford so thought I was our lucky charm!!

Never seen scenes like at the ground , City everywhere the biggest away following I’d seen since 86 and Wembley. Horrible night for football which really helped us . Felt so sick as we was all squashed in under the floodlight. Stood on the enclosure for the home leg , think it was on the Sunday , and we took them very close but it wasn’t to be . 

Think we played Aldershot , Oxford and Palace at home during that cup run 

And beat Tranmere....Bradford away in QF.

39 minutes ago, Super said:

Ah the days of the inflatable banana!

I can remember being very pissed pre game with a 5ft Bannana ? that was sporting a ski hat and we had named Joe , and arguing with a landlord (shock) why a 5ft bannana named Joe should be such an issue :yawn:

Before anyone says it ......bananas....yes .....a pair......yes......

?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I also remember my dad who would have been well into his 60's then being the most excited he had ever been at the game. When Mardon's goal went in, he was jumping up and down for about a minute shouting "we've scored, we've scored". Absolute scenes!!! 

I love posts like this! 

not much else surmises the hope, the buzz, the tragedy, the joy, and the total thrill of supporting this effing crap club of ours :D 

4 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I also was moved a long way from my original starting point and lost a shoe, never to be found !!!!

I stood on some odd things that night, including a broken brolly, a dirty hip-flask and a lot of people's toes !  But no sign of a shoe.

My brother broke his watch-strap when everyone went ballistic after Mardon scored, but he managed to keep hold of his watch. He then lost it on the journey home and moaned about it for months.

Nights like that (where you meet and make a lot of new friends) don't come round very often, but they stay with you forever.

52 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Enjoy everyone.

Good shot of the away end from behind the opposite goal at 19 mins. Our goal was excellent - good build up, a Walshy shuffle, superb shot, great celebrations.

I've got very vivid memories of the return leg at AG. From where I was standing in the East End there was that split second when it seemed like Walshy's shot was going in. A moment frozen in time in my memory.

4 hours ago, OneCity said:

City are a very well supported away side when things are good. I also remember going to Spurs in the FA Cup in 1967 or 68 when we took five train loads to White Hart Lane only for us to miss a twice taken penalty and Greavsie put us out with two goals.

And Coventry was awesome. Remember trying to get into Frankley services on way back; absolutely chockered with red and white.

The Forest game brings back such enjoyable memories for me of watching City.

We were on the way back from the 82 threat of nearly going bust. As a club we were a very close knit family of supporters who had a real connection with the players and manager. Players like Alan Walsh were treated as God by many of us. IMO Walshy was the best left foot I saw in a City shirt. Absolutely brilliant.

Football in 89 was a real treat. Passion, excitement, an affinity with the club and the supporters and the real friendship we all made with other City fans along the way. It really was a close knit club.

@BS15_RED watching that video again made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! Just look how packed the City end was behind the goal. I was down the sidelines in the front stand right up by the Forest home end and by Christ the atmosphere was surreal. There is a YouTube video with sound of the City fans at AG somewhere prematch as that was deafening also.

Very special game for all 9000 that travelled to Forest. Best days for me!

7 hours ago, poland_exile said:

gargh, this was the season before I started going down, heard so many stories about this! both matches sound absolutely mad in terms of atmosphere, shenanigans and sheer mad, old school thrills! 

There was a brilliant video once on Youtube (I think courtesy of @1960maaan?) of the pre-match build-up Ashton Gate. Immense noise. Watching it is enough to send a shiver down the spine! 

This one mate...sends proper shivers. Loved watching both games...fond memories. Turn it up ?

Was a student doing an MSc at Hull University. Hired a car under false pretences ("no students" but I wasn't going to miss this!) and drove to Nottingham and parked somewhere near Notts Co, on the other side of the river. Bedlam when we scored, ended up about 20 yards from where I was and a big ugly bloke hugged and kissed me. Don't remember seeing any trouble.

Couldn't afford to go to the home leg, all the way from Hull and it was live on Telly, so was able to watch on a friends TV. Don't think the first leg was shown live on TV?

Archived