IGNORED

Did 9,000 City fans travel to Nottingham Forest way back in 1989?

Never to the dark side

Some little clips, including a short chat from Walshy here ...   https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2016-10-25/down-memory-lane-bristol-city-target-best-cup-run-since-1989/

Great night , stop in Ashby (I think) few beers and was late in the ground (again) . in the lower part of the stand at the side, fell off the seat when we scored, absolute bedlam. 

12 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

We were in that lower tier, by the Trent End. Much pisstaking going off...mad night.

From my memory we were on the same minibus but it all got a bit hazy. I can remember parts of the game especially the goals. The atmosphere was electric.

Minibus from Whitchurch - 12 cans of Stella on the way up....hordes of Bristolians....Mardon!!!!!.....my flag was visible on the telly....stuffed by a team of household names but we had to score their equaliser for them....absolute bedlam in the away end....and down the side in front of their stand....great, great memories....nights like that just keep me going...our chaps frustrate me like mad but every now and again we get a Coventry away, a Chester away, a gas away (1983), a Wembley day out or two with Terry Cooper, a Bradford away (1989), a Forest semi final, a Doncaster at home (Colin Gordon!), a Chelsea cup tie triumph at home, a Liverpool cup tie triumph away, a Cotts wonder season, a Man Utd cup tie triumph at home and the Man City semi final....etc, etc, etc, and it all ensures that as much as I’d sometimes like to, I just can’t walk away and turn my back....b@stards!

37 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Minibus from Whitchurch - 12 cans of Stella on the way up....hordes of Bristolians....Mardon!!!!!.....my flag was visible on the telly....stuffed by a team of household names but we had to score their equaliser for them....absolute bedlam in the away end....and down the side in front of their stand....great, great memories....nights like that just keep me going...our chaps frustrate me like mad but every now and again we get a Coventry away, a Chester away, a gas away (1983), a Wembley day out or two with Terry Cooper, a Bradford away (1989), a Forest semi final, a Doncaster at home (Colin Gordon!), a Chelsea cup tie triumph at home, a Liverpool cup tie triumph away, a Cotts wonder season, a Man Utd cup tie triumph at home and the Man City semi final....etc, etc, etc, and it all ensures that as much as I’d sometimes like to, I just can’t walk away and turn my back....b@stards!

Doesn’t sound like the BS4 on Tour I went on football tour with ?

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I couldn’t of put it better, as that great philosopher Dolly Parton said ‘ if you want the rainbow you got to put up with the rain’ ..... and people say she’s just a big pair of tits

18 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

May well be right, of course they never gave out away crowds in them days. I know we were sardine like in the away terrace !

The Evening Post would've prowedly reported the ticket sales, our end (Beryl keeping them up to date, in between flogging tickets and tat). If I recall correctly, it ticked over 8000 and was probably rounded up, Rovers-style (although not rounded up quite as much) to 9000. 

Think 9k would've been about the lot, 25% of about a 36k capacity.

15 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

What a brilliant day/night that was . Crammed in the back of a transit , pissed up. Stopped in a pub just outside Nottingham on the way home showing highlights on midweek sports special. Loads of city in there flags draped . I was only 17 . Oh happy days 

That might have been the boozer that we stopped at. Highlights on telly and everyone leaping about like pissed up mental cases when we scored! Football just ain't the same now.

Was in the open terrace. The most crushed in I've ever been at a football match (& I've been in plenty of those during the 1970s & 80s). Could feel my ribs moving! No chance of lifting arms or any movement. For about 15 minutes I only had one foot in contact with the ground. Yes it poured it down but only my head & shoulders got wet. I never once felt in danger or unsafe.

When our goal went in, as others said, pandemonium. The whole mass seemed to move like the sea. Ended up about 10 yards from where I was before the goal. No idea how the mass managed to move like that.

Absolutely wonderful night. Oh to have football grounds & matches like that again.

On 15/01/2019 at 15:02, BobBobSuperBob said:

I can remember being very pissed pre game with a 5ft Bannana ? that was sporting a ski hat and we had named Joe , and arguing with a landlord (shock) why a 5ft bannana named Joe should be such an issue :yawn:

Before anyone says it ......bananas....yes .....a pair......yes......

?

Also in the enclosure there was a blow up monkey

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Bob it was a bit naughty franz carr on the wing poor bloke took loads 

Ohhh yes - forgot him 

Remember a lilo !

Man City Fans started the inflatable era , with their bannnas IIRC

Grimsbys fish were one of the best

‘joes teeth’ , probably the worst ever !

Hope none of you are counting my ticket at Forest?

Two weeks earlier I was subpeonaed for Jury Service at the High Court - utter nomark case. A long-term, unemployed old c.o.d.g.e.r  decided court was preferable to sitting in his flat staring out the window and become Perry Mason of the jury,  stringing out what should have been a couple of days in court to a fortnight. Given the expense racked up the Judge refused to accept anything other than a unanimous verdict and kept us jurors locked up for 4 days. Short of threatening to kill the old fella the **** finally changed his mind to what the rest of us had decided days earlier so at just gone 5pm we tripped into Court and by the time we were discharged I couldn't get to the game. Had to make do with the highlights......

I thought 10,000 was the figure quoted at the time, but then you know what us lot are at arithmetic.:)

I do remember that I worked in Bedminster at the time and almost all the workforce went and I was dreading the prospect of you getting a result up there and potentially getting to a national final.

I still owe Garry Parker a pint :)

9 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I thought 10,000 was the figure quoted at the time, but then you know what us lot are at arithmetic.:)

I do remember that I worked in Bedminster at the time and almost all the workforce went and I was dreading the prospect of you getting a result up there and potentially getting to a national final.

I still owe Garry Parker a pint :)

Of fake Fanta...

Archived