IGNORED

Do you also support the ladies City team?

reddogkev

They are Bristol City players, they wear the kit, have the badge on their chests, etc.  They are a Bristol City team who are in the top tier and doing pretty well at the moment.

They get a lot of exposure on the City main page and have also been talked about on Sky Sports News a couple of times over the weekend.

Tanya Oxtoby, their gaffer, seems to be doing a very good job.  I celebrated their win against Birmingham on the weekend with the children, notably with my daughter, and explained it was a good weekend as both City teams won their match.

I'm starting to give their team more attention this season and have caught a game or two on the TV.  You can't fault their passion for the club.

I'd prefer it if they played at Ashton Gate, but I appreciate this is probably not cost effective.

What are your thoughts?

36 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

They are Bristol City players, they wear the kit, have the badge on their chests, etc.  They are a Bristol City team who are in the top tier and doing pretty well at the moment.

They get a lot of exposure on the City main page and have also been talked about on Sky Sports News a couple of times over the weekend.

Tanya Oxtoby, their gaffer, seems to be doing a very good job.  I celebrated their win against Birmingham on the weekend with the children, notably with my daughter, and explained it was a good weekend as both City teams won their match.

I'm starting to give their team more attention this season and have caught a game or two on the TV.  You can't fault their passion for the club.

I'd prefer it if they played at Ashton Gate, but I appreciate this is probably not cost effective.

What are your thoughts?

I don't really care how they get on. It's not going to effect my mood whatsoever if they got relegated/win the league. I'm the same with the rugby club/flyers. 

Do you ever go? What's the average attendance for the ladies team?

Also, are they full time at City or do they do it part time?

I can’t say that I “support” them. Never go and watch them. 

I do keep an eye out for their scores and hope they do well. 

They are representing our club name, but let’s be honest, they have nothing whatsoever to do with Bristol City Football Club. So it’s only a general interest that would end if they were ever to break away from Bristol Sport. 

I want them & the Flyers to do well, for SL’s sake really. I’m not a fan of Basketball or women’s football really (yes, I do see women’s football as an entirely different sport to the men’s game) 

37 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I don't really care how they get on. It's not going to effect my mood whatsoever if they got relegated/win the league. I'm the same with the rugby club/flyers. 

Do you ever go? What's the average attendance for the ladies team?

Also, are they full time at City or do they do it part time?

Nope I don't go, but would go to see a game if the stadium was a bit closer (no idea where the Stoke Gifford Stadium is, mind you).

Does anyone on here go to see any of their games?

Think all the women's teams in the top flight are full-time.

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

They are representing our club name, but let’s be honest, they have nothing whatsoever to do with Bristol City Football Club. So it’s only a general interest that would end if they were ever to break away from Bristol Sport. 

I want them & the Flyers to do well, for SL’s sake really. I’m not a fan of Basketball or women’s football really (yes, I do see women’s football as an entirely different sport to the men’s game) 

Agree with all you've said, apart from them not having anything to do with Bristol City FC.  They are the women's version of the same team, so I can't figure out what you mean!

15 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Nope I don't go, but would go to see a game if the stadium was a bit closer (no idea where the Stoke Gifford Stadium is, mind you).

Does anyone on here go to see any of their games?

Think all the women's teams in the top flight are full-time.

If the product isn't good enough to draw even reasonably big crowds then there's no justification for full time players making a living out of it imo.

Average attendance in the women's league says it all.

Attendances are low – staggeringly so. Women’s football has lower week-by-week averages than some other sports with a fraction of the funding. And while the figures have been slowly climbing, the switch from a summer to a winter season – mirroring the men’s – has meant an 11% drop in attendances, to 953 per match.

27 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why do they have nothing to do with Bristol city?

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If the product isn't good enough to draw even reasonably big crowds then there's no justification for full time players making a living out of it imo.

Attendances are low – staggeringly so. Women’s football has lower week-by-week averages than some other sports with a fraction of the funding. And while the figures have been slowly climbing, the switch from a summer to a winter season – mirroring the men’s – has meant an 11% drop in attendances, to 953 per match.

Wow, can't believe how low the average attendance is, it does make you question how on earth it survives. 

Support them about as much as I do the U23's, U18's, U12's, the Basketball etc. If they do well it reflects well on the club and on Bristol as a whole but don't really care what happens.  I think I could name one player - Carla Humphrey - but tbh that's only because she's fit.

If they got relegated I really wouldn't care, same way as I don't care who the U23's are playing.

One thing I'd add - if they're existence and success encourages girls to play and/or take an interest in football or sport in general then that is a great thing.

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

It's in Stoke Gifford.......no need to thank me.

Also, not really a stadium per se but then again, nor is the Memorial.

stoke-gifford-stadium.jpg

• Admin

As much as supporter as many people are of the top prem teams in that I look out for their results etc

For me it is where they play is the ball ache, too much hassle to get to from WSM no public transport

Oddly the only time I saw the womens team live was many many years ago when they got to the WFA Cup semi final against Liverpool and it was played at Mangotsfield's Cosham Street

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

953 is higher than I thought it would be tbh. 

I follow them,  obviously not as much as the men but the standard is better than you think and a lot of the ladies playing, would have ran rings around most of the posters criticising. 

A lot of these women haven't been academy trained as well, but the girls coming through will have been. So the standard will rise again.

I'm a bit buyiest though

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

What are your thoughts?

Sorry couldn't care less. Much better football played in the area if you can't watch City.

I have been the past, actively search for their results and have a surge of delight when they win.

I doubt I'll go to a game anytime soon though. Time is limited and the men are the priority.

I suspect it's many family, friends and real club keenbeans that attend matches, and yes it would be better at AG. 

45 minutes ago, phantom said:

As much as supporter as many people are of the top prem teams in that I look out for their results etc

For me it is where they play is the ball ache, too much hassle to get to from WSM no public transport

Oddly the only time I saw the womens team live was many many years ago when they got to the WFA Cup semi final against Liverpool and it was played at Mangotsfield's Cosham Street

Weston to Parkway shouldn't be that difficult on the train. I am sure NTTDS could give you a full timetable if you asked nicely!

Archived