IGNORED

Do you also support the ladies City team?

reddogkev

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Now that I've got a daughter I might pay more attention. 

If my girl one day wears the City shirt as a player it would make me immensely proud. 

I want women's football to keep gaining momentum so that our daughters can follow the football dream/City dream too. 

Big up City women.

Exactly one of the main reasons I started taking interest, it's good to be able to show your girl that she can also play at a top level, if good enough.

3 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Do I actively support them? No.

Do I look out for their results? No.

Do I stop to read news articles about them? No.

Do I take any issue with there being a women's team representing Bristol City? No, and good luck to them and anyone who follows them.

I would have said the same, but I do now read their reports on the main City page, if I have a few minutes spare.

I don’t understand anybody trying to draw comparisons between the men’s and women’s game.

Of course the men are bigger and stronger and the women couldn’t compete with them. 

Nobody really slags off women’s tennis these days, even though the standards are different, mainly due to strength issues.

I watch Bristol City men’s teams every home league game.

Watch the Bristol Bears at home occasionally and going again later this month.

Follow the Bristol Flyers but not been to a game yet.

Follow Bristol City ladies team but not been to a game yet but will be going to the £1 S/T holders game later this month.

Bit nosey aren’t ya? Six inches in anticipation of more personal questions to follow ??

5 hours ago, When the river runs said:

I follow them,  obviously not as much as the men but the standard is better than you think and a lot of the ladies playing, would have ran rings around most of the posters criticising. 

A lot of these women haven't been academy trained as well, but the girls coming through will have been. So the standard will rise again.

I'm a bit buyiest though

What sort of arguement is that? 

I'm trying to figure out if your comment is a sexist comment or not.

If I was commenting on the performance of one of our players in the men's team, you wouldn't say who are you to criticise when that player would run rings around you. You just wouldn't say that so struggling to understand why your saying it about a women running rings around a man??

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

What sort of arguement is that? 

I'm trying to figure out if your comment is a sexist comment or not.

If I was commenting on the performance of one of our players in the men's team, you wouldn't say who are you to criticise when that player would run rings around you. You just wouldn't say that so struggling to understand why your saying it about a women running rings around a man??

Because most of these posters on here are saying women's football is shit that's why 

It does make me laugh when some fat bloke in the crowd is criticising a player on the pitch for effort when I've just seen them struggle to walk up the steps to they're seat. Same sort of thing I think.

40 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

It does make me laugh when some fat bloke in the crowd is criticising a player on the pitch for effort when I've just seen them struggle to walk up the steps to they're seat. Same sort of thing I think.

I'm not going to turn this into a slanging match as I accept we all have different opinions and more importantly we are all City supporters. 

But comment is ill judged at best but very insulting at worst. You've no idea what the "fat bloke" is going through or why he's in this situation 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Flyers ? ? ?

Flyers ? ? ?

Oh no, is it really that cheesy? 

Do they have plastic clappers too? 

6 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I'm not going to turn this into a slanging match as I accept we all have different opinions and more importantly we are all City supporters. 

But comment is ill judged at best but very insulting at worst. You've no idea what the "fat bloke" is going through or why he's in this situation 

No, laminated card board ones, and sponge hands!!!

Ive been to very few football matches at AG where the atmosphere has topped some of the basketball ones I’ve attended.  It’s a different atmosphere granted, and you’re right on top of the action, it’s end to end, etc.  

But it’s not for everyone though.

53 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

The fat bloke has no idea what is going on with the footballer and his situation.   

1 hour ago, When the river runs said:

Because most of these posters on here are saying women's football is shit that's why 

56 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

There is an irony to it.

Most people do not have the mentality to apply themselves to sport at higher level.

Are you willing to make sacrifices to achieve your dream? Do you live an athletes life?  Do you want to improve yourself everyday? 

Most people are no's there. 

I couldn't really call myself a supporter because I've never been to see them, but as a Bristol City team I want them to do well and would like to go and watch. It's a shame they play games on the other side of Bristol from where I live. At some point, though, I'll take my kids along . My daughter would be especially interested. She plays for our local club's girl's team, and I must say that the standard of football in her matches is very good - the girls in her side and that of her opponents are skillful, committed, competitive and determined (and certainly not less so than the boys in my son's team).

Opinions are fine, but some of the vitriol that’s been posted is fairly disgusting. a simple “no I don’t follow” would be enough if you really need to comment - I think the OP was looking for something a little more constructive.

The standard is not men’s premier league, why anyone is surprised enough by that to make such a comment is beyond me, lack of investment compared to the men’s game for half a century and more will do that. It’s only less popular and less developed because of the gender bias that has existed in society since time in memoriam. To win the lottery is to be born a man etc 

In a world where physical activity and exercise amongst young girls lags tragically behind young boys I hope to god if I have a daughter I can take her to see woman playing a thriving sport (as well as to the men’s) to show her she can do that too, that all her idols don’t have to be taking their clothes off on social media and not to be scoffed at and belittled by absolutle dinosaurs.

Yes, I do support the Vixens and have done so for many seasons. Having a Season Card at the Gate allows free entry into WSL matches, so it's little more than petrol money to spend. Granted the SGS is not the same as Ashton Gate, the crowds are smaller and the WSL does not have as many different teams, but the fact is that City Women are in the country's highest bracket - and long may they be so.

I can understand how many here don't take any interest in women's football in general, if they start with the comparison between men and women. Taking the men's side as a reference then clearly there is a gap to others, but I also enjoy going to the occasional Western League game too - and no-one would say that standard of football is on a par with full professionals. I take pleasure in many levels of the Beautiful Game, not just the top ones.

Women's football has been constricted for generations in the past and is making great strides to catch up. Yes, there is still a long way to go, but the efforts being made to create a world-class system are beginning to count now. Who knows how far the game will go in the future? I dare say they will never get to the same crowds, finances or media exposure as the men's but that is perhaps missing the point. Other sports have shown that there is a big appetite for females competing against females - and isn't the real interest in two teams that are well-matched?

On 15/01/2019 at 08:38, reddogkev said:

They are Bristol City players, they wear the kit, have the badge on their chests, etc.  They are a Bristol City team who are in the top tier and doing pretty well at the moment.

They get a lot of exposure on the City main page and have also been talked about on Sky Sports News a couple of times over the weekend.

Tanya Oxtoby, their gaffer, seems to be doing a very good job.  I celebrated their win against Birmingham on the weekend with the children, notably with my daughter, and explained it was a good weekend as both City teams won their match.

I'm starting to give their team more attention this season and have caught a game or two on the TV.  You can't fault their passion for the club.

I'd prefer it if they played at Ashton Gate, but I appreciate this is probably not cost effective.

What are your thoughts?

My daughter is a season ticket holder with me for the men's team. She's interested in women's footy and plays for Ashton Girls. I keep an eye and want to go to a game but it's miles away and the wife hates how footy already takes over the weekends!

• Admin
9 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I can understand how many here don't take any interest in women's football in general, if they start with the comparison between men and women.

I think for many we support Bristol City (mens first team), we don't support all the U23 / U18 / Womens etc etc

It is one heck of a commitment following the mens side financially and time limitations week after week, simply don't have the time to follow anything else

13 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Having a Season Card at the Gate allows free entry into WSL matches

Are you sure about this? I only ask because the story below is advertising the fact that City season card holders can get in to the Yeovil match for £1. It's also not listed on the season card benefits.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-women-tickets-just-1-for-season-card-holders/ 

Genuinely interested as I might pop along to a game or two if it was indeed free. 

12 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Having a Season Card at the Gate allows free entry into WSL matches, so it's little more than petrol money to spend.

27 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Are you sure about this? I only ask because the story below is advertising the fact that City season card holders can get in to the Yeovil match for £1. It's also not listed on the season card benefits.

@Erithacus how many games have you been to?

Certainly never read anything about season cards for the mens team having free entry to a womens fixture

Archived