IGNORED

Do you also support the ladies City team?

reddogkev

On 15/01/2019 at 09:56, Nogbad the Bad said:

If the product isn't good enough to draw even reasonably big crowds then there's no justification for full time players making a living out of it imo.

Average attendance in the women's league says it all.

Attendances are low – staggeringly so. Women’s football has lower week-by-week averages than some other sports with a fraction of the funding. And while the figures have been slowly climbing, the switch from a summer to a winter season – mirroring the men’s – has meant an 11% drop in attendances, to 953 per match.

What do you think about county cricket? How do they make it pay? There is nobody there for the 4day game

Quite impressed this thread gathered so many responses, shows what an interesting talking point it is.

I wonder if we'll see a time where we will as a collective fan base will celebrate a City win with as much passion no matter if it's the men or the women playing.

Will we ever see a City women's team match day thread on here?  Food for thought ...

• Admin
1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Quite impressed this thread gathered so many responses, shows what an interesting talking point it is.

I wonder if we'll see a time where we will as a collective fan base will celebrate a City win with as much passion no matter if it's the men or the women playing.

Will we ever see a City women's team match day thread on here?  Food for thought ...

Or perhaps they will have their own forum? 

• Admin
23 hours ago, When the river runs said:

The fat bloke has no idea what is going on with the footballer and his situation.   

The fat bloke may well have been an outstanding footballer or coach, who knows, but he has paid to watch a professional and to that end is entitled to an opinion (and a reasonable standard of football on show).

Im quite surprised really at the low attendances. I suppose its due to the fact that the FA banned womens football in 1921 inside mens football club grounds and there has been poor awareness/lack of investment about the female gender side to the game. Had the FA not banned it, the attendances may very well be MUCH higher.

Preston Ladies Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 people watching St Helen's Ladies at Goodison Park with thousands of people locked outside, I guess they were the Bristol Rovers of its day.

7 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

@Erithacus how many games have you been to?

I go to most games each season, and have done so for several seasons now. I recall the (now far-off) days when the team were the Academy and played in blue (Smurf Army, anyone?); I also went to the two FA Cup finals the Vixens were in (up to Coventry and Doncaster!). The year the girls were in with a shot of the League title on the last day also ranks highly. It strikes me that I have seen four managers now....:blush2:

With regard to the cost of a ticket for the Yeovil game Sunday week, I assume that all Season Card holders will be allowed free entry as usual, but are given the chance to buy an extra ticket for a mere £1 - standard adult entry is normally £8. This seems to be a 'Bring a friend to the game, cheap' deal and hopefully will bring in some extra spectators who might not otherwise make the effort. Seeing a number of posts here that indicate a desire to attend but are not quite convinced says to me that this offer should be just the encouragement some need. As it's a local derby, the crowd should be the best of the season!

1 hour ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Im quite surprised really at the low attendances. I suppose its due to the fact that the FA banned womens football in 1921 inside mens football club grounds and there has been poor awareness/lack of investment about the female gender side to the game. Had the FA not banned it, the attendances may very well be MUCH higher.

Preston Ladies Boxing Day 1920 had 53,000 people watching St Helen's Ladies at Goodison Park with thousands of people locked outside, I guess they were the Bristol Rovers of its day.

Totally bizarre they moved from playing from summer to winter. Really struggle to understand the logic of that decision. 

Anyhows, seems we have a decent manager and would be great if we could finish in the top four. The higher the profile of the name BristolCity the better, in whichever guise. 

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

With regard to the cost of a ticket for the Yeovil game Sunday week, I assume that all Season Card holders will be allowed free entry as usual, but are given the chance to buy an extra ticket for a mere £1 - standard adult entry is normally £8. This seems to be a 'Bring a friend to the game, cheap' deal and hopefully will bring in some extra spectators who might not otherwise make the effort. 

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLOif this is the case surely the advert needs rewording to explain this?

Hate to say this isn't the first time women's match ticket advertising hasn't been wrongly worded 

On 15/01/2019 at 09:56, Nogbad the Bad said:

If the product isn't good enough to draw even reasonably big crowds then there's no justification for full time players making a living out of it imo.

Average attendance in the women's league says it all.

Attendances are low – staggeringly so. Women’s football has lower week-by-week averages than some other sports with a fraction of the funding. And while the figures have been slowly climbing, the switch from a summer to a winter season – mirroring the men’s – has meant an 11% drop in attendances, to 953 per match.

It's a real shame they switched from summer to winter.

I watched a summer game against Chelsea a few years ago one summer evening and it was a really good experience.   

Train from TM and short walk to the ground from Parkway. Few ciders pitchside in the warm summer sun.  Technically, the football was really good standard and being at pitch level you appreciate how talented the players are even more (except maybe the keepers!).

If they switched back to summer I'd definitely go to watch more games.  

The summer seasons were played with a definite regard to avoiding the men's/local/junior's football that played in the traditional Autumn-Spring period. Some sponsorship opportunities were also thought to be favoured.This certainly brought some good crowds (it should be pointed out that the WSL has a particularly young/female/family aspect), but the real and obvious drawback was that the season was out of step with all the other leagues, be they lower amateur or european. Given the rising profile at home and abroad, the FA returned the WSL to the normal timescale. I feel this is a statement that says that women's football is looking to stand on its own feet.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Hate to say this isn't the first time women's match ticket advertising hasn't been wrongly worded

To be fair, the club's media outlets have had some odd ways of expressing themselves - and it's not just confined to the women's section.

13 hours ago, phantom said:

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLOif this is the case surely the advert needs rewording to explain this?

Hello 

Im not across the women's team but will try and find out who would be across this and will send it onto them. 

Matt 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hello 

Im not across the women's team but will try and find out who would be across this and will send it onto them. 

Matt 

Apologies has assumed it was the same media team that uploaded onto the official site

6 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hello 

Matt 

Could this be an awkward moment where you find out you are supposed to be covering their side of things also?  Double your work-load time!

Archived