IGNORED

Desperate Bobby Reid non-story number 47532

Curr Avon

Duran Duran, or whatever his name is at the Evening Post must be particularly bored today and has fomented another yawnfest of epic proportions. Bagpuss would have been proud.

You have been warned.

Cardiff City signing a striker unlikely to lead to Bristol City forward's return alas

Most City fans would love to see ex-Robin back in BS3

When Bristol City sold Bobby Reid to newly promoted Cardiff City back in the summer the Robins pulled out all the stops.

A bespoke video of Reid saying goodbye was accompanied by a special statement explaining how the 25-year-old will always be welcome back in BS3. (Joe Bryan got a GIF, remember, Aden Flint... not so much.)

The move may have stuck in the craw for a few hardcore fans but Reid still retains a special status in these West Country parts, as you'd expect for a born-and-bred Bristolian and a champion of the Bristol City academy in every respect.

Reid commands great admiration inside Ashton Gate because of his determination, professionalism and great character. Only recently he returned across the bridge to pass on tips to younger players in City's academy.

He has also provided match tickets for the academy coaches who have helped propel him to where he is today, such as the highly regarded Dave Horseman, in a characteristic nice touch from the attacker.

But the energetic forward currently faces a tough task winning regular first team football under Neil Warnock.

And that's despite a thoroughly acceptable two goals and two assists from just nine starts in the Premier League.

Warnock explained to WalesOnline a couple of matches ago why Reid is not getting more outings.

"Bobby can defend alright, he plays in that No.10 role where I see him, but I thought he did well at Palace," said Warnock.

"And when he came on [at Leicester, a 0-1 win for Cardiff City where Reid set up the only goal], he held it up more. Poor old Paters is doing his best but I thought Bobby brought us into it and made us more of a threat. It's good to have these dilemmas.

"He was disappointed he didn't [start] at Leicester, but then it's great for a manager to say 'I was right' — they can't do anything about it, can they?

"The thing about Bobby is I think him and Murph [Josh Murphy] have come from situations where physically they've got to improve and they are.

"Bobby's working like hell and so is Murph. They've got to be a bit more aggressive, stronger physically."

The Bluebirds are currently in well-documented talks to sign Nantes striker Emiliano Sala for a fee in the region of £18m and if that goes through - although the Argentine forward has returned to France at the time of writing - then Reid might be further pushed down the pecking order.

"Reid was always going to be a very difficult one to replace because they just don’t exist," said Ashton in a radio interview with BBC Radio Bristol.

The chances are slim. According to several of our sources in Wales, Reid is likely to stay put and will battle for the no.10 position behind any new striker who arrives in Leckwith.

Robins supporters may then be left hoping for some out-of-character goodwill from a Cardiff City manager who is not afraid of a high-profile exit, judging by recent comments. Don't hold your breath, City fans.

The Bristol Trash is having a field day today...

"Cardiff City signing a striker unlikely to lead to Bristol City forward's return alas"

"People are scared of their safety because of a new LED sign at Cabot Circus"

and my favourite of all... 

"Jet fuel storage tanks approved despite fears of 'terrorists with rocket-propelled grenades' "

I miss his goals, yes. And I have missed the exciting pass and move football. But I think after seeing the past couple of games we have found a way to play without him. I don’t want to loan a Cardiff player back! Hes’s gone, we’ve moved on. Kasey is the new hero now. 

Rarely does a player return really work out and I’m not sure Bob would work here again now tbh. Scotty was probably the last really decent one for us and you could argue Louis as well. However if Bobby’s new wages are to be believed - I’ve heard upwards of £40kpw - then we’ve got no chance anyway.  A non starter and pointless article. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I miss his goals, yes. And I have missed the exciting pass and move football. But I think after seeing the past couple of games we have found a way to play without him. I don’t want to loan a Cardiff player back! Hes’s gone, we’ve moved on. Kasey is the new hero now. 

I was certainly impressed by his cameo appearance on Saturday, and my wife seems quite enthusiastic as well.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

New hero. He's played half hour ....

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Spot on.....way too early for hero status for Kasey...I remember thinking Carl Hutchings was the real deal after his debut (vs Oxford?) - he had certainly given us hell every time he came here with Brentford before we bought him....as Boycie would say ‘ being premature ain’t great’....

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Oh come on, hero in the making. Someone else to focus on. Someone harrying around and adding a bit of a buzz. That’s what I meant, but I think you knew that.

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

"The thing about Bobby is I think him and Murph [Josh Murphy] have come from situations where physically they've got to improve and they are.

"Bobby's working like hell and so is Murph. They've got to be a bit more aggressive, stronger physically."

He has seen Bobby right? Like he does realise he's a small guy and that's why he's so quick and able to get into those positions to score and also why he can run as much as he does. Making Bobby bulk up will just take away a large part of why he's such an asset ?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on.....way too early for hero status for Kasey...I remember thinking Carl Hutchings was the real deal after his debut (vs Oxford?) - he had certainly given us hell every time he came here with Brentford before we bought him....as Boycie would say ‘ being premature ain’t great’....

You can add Leko to the list as well, absolutely tied Keough in knots in his first game for us against Derby

Archived