IGNORED

Football teams not named after where they play

Kodjias Wrist

On 03/01/2019 at 02:15, miser said:

Think Midlothian is a place or region. But St Mirren or Albion Rovers ain't. Assuming we are allowing Scottish football into this question. 

On 03/01/2019 at 20:03, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Albion Rovers

Just hedging their bets!!

On 03/01/2019 at 20:07, Sweeneys Penalties said:

The New Saints in the league of Wales, Bohemians in the League of Ireland,

Actually The New Saints was based on two things firstly the same initials as the Chairman's company who was the main sponsor at the time Total Network Solutions and the village the team were based at the time Llansantffraid (Church of Saint Brigid -, a Celtic Saint) 

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 01:29, Red-Robbo said:

Raith Rovers?  Arsenal?  

Raith was actually an area, although where it's boundaries were is a bit vague, there was a famous battle there years ago. I learnt this after a conversation with a very drunk Dunfermline fan after watching them lose at home to Brechin City, which goes to show if you want to learn the really interesting things in life, you should go to pubs.

A few years back you could have had Morton, but they have since added Greenock to their name, and in a similar vein Orient, I mean I know 'The Orient' is a place, but it is some distance from where the football team originate :) 

As someone else has pointed out, both Celtic and Rangers do not have Glasgow in their name. You could have had Ferranti Thistle, but when they got into senior football in the 70s the name was deemed unsuitable (it was a works team) and it was changed to Meadowbank Thistle. Oh, and Partick don't play in Partick.

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Raith was actually an area, although where it's boundaries were is a bit vague, there was a famous battle there years ago. I learnt this after a conversation with a very drunk Dunfermline fan after watching them lose at home to Brechin City, which goes to show if you want to learn the really interesting things in life, you should go to pubs.

A few years back you could have had Morton, but they have since added Greenock to their name, and in a similar vein Orient, I mean I know 'The Orient' is a place, but it is some distance from where the football team originate :) 

As someone else has pointed out, both Celtic and Rangers do not have Glasgow in their name. You could have had Ferranti Thistle, but when they got into senior football in the 70s the name was deemed unsuitable (it was a works team) and it was changed to Meadowbank Thistle. Oh, and Partick don't play in Partick.

Put an Irishman in charge and this is the sort of rambling nonsense we can expect.

17 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Orient have been known as ‘Leyton Orient’ & ‘Clapton Orient’

• Admin
On 03/01/2019 at 02:15, miser said:

Think Midlothian is a place or region. But St Mirren or Albion Rovers ain't. Assuming we are allowing Scottish football into this question. 

Indeed, have a good friend who has just moved back to Paisley, where St Mirren play

They were named after Saint Mirin who is the patron Saint of Paisley

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Indeed, have a good friend who has just moved back to Paisley, where St Mirren play

They were named after Saint Mirin who is the patron Saint of Paisley Japanese Rice Wine

Kaizer Chiefs in Johannesburg

Also - Arsenal aren't named after London or even the part of London the play in. Yes there is a tube station called Arsenal but that is named after the team.  True they were originally Woolwich Arsenal, from Woolwich, but their modern name has no geographical reference. Edit: See this has already been discussed.

On 03/01/2019 at 12:29, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m aware of that

Their Club name is and has been for many years,  Arsenal

Arsenal is not a place / area

?

The origins are a team of munition workers from Woolwich

Well there are now houses and flats where the Arsenal used to be, I lived there last year and my address was Woolwich Arsenal.

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Kaizer Chiefs in Johannesburg

Also - Arsenal aren't named after London or even the part of London the play in. Yes there is a tube station called Arsenal but that is named after the team.  True they were originally Woolwich Arsenal, from Woolwich, but their modern name has no geographical reference. Edit: See this has already been discussed.

Arsenal Tube Station used to be called Gillespie Road until pressure from Arsenal FC (or some generous backhanders!) got them to change it.

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

But there is no modern place called Raith and in fact we don't even know where the Battle of Raith was fought.

Hence the famous Grandstand clanger, "They'll be dancing on the streets of Raith tonight."

Non-league has lots of non-geographically named teams: TNS in the  League of Wales, for example

On 03/01/2019 at 10:13, cider hoss rules said:

QPR, Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace play in South Norwood,  just south of Upper Norwood which since  The Great Exhibition is also known as Crystal Palace ( a place with two names). So it is a geographical area where they don't play, which has two names

Simples ?

Archived