IGNORED

Football teams not named after where they play

Kodjias Wrist

57 minutes ago, Gifford said:

Nottingham Forest don't play in Nottingham but Notts County do.

Erm. Isn't Meadow Lane (County) and the City Ground (Forest) like 500 yards apart? Am I whoooooshing here?

I know the City Ground technically is in a suburb of Nottingham (West Bridgeford) and Meadow Lane is classed as the centre of Nottingham but that's like saying we don't play in Bristol because we play in Ashton. It's suburbs right?

57 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

No, it was in Upper Norwood, not Sydenham 

Have worked in Crystal Palace for the last 29 years

Ooh, bad luck!

44 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Erm. Isn't Meadow Lane (County) and the City Ground (Forest) like 500 yards apart? Am I whoooooshing here?

I know the City Ground technically is in a suburb of Nottingham (West Bridgeford) and Meadow Lane is classed as the centre of Nottingham but that's like saying we don't play in Bristol because we play in Ashton. It's suburbs right?

Although of course Ashton is part of the Bristol City Council area. By contrast, the Blue Few were eyeing up a ground that would have taken them out of the city boundaries. Not for the first time, of course...

On 03/01/2019 at 10:08, redsince1994 said:

RCD Espanyol only one I can think of.

RCD Espanyol is a shortening, or 'common name'

The club's full name is 'Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona' which literally translates as 'Royal Spanish Sports Club of Barcelona'.

So in actual fact, they're absolutely named after where they play.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

That's right .....the City Ground has a NG2 postcode (as does Notts Cty),  and is in Nottingham in the same way that BS3 Bedminster  is in Bristol.

While we're at it ................Chelsea * play in Fulham,  the borough of Kensington & Chelsea is next door

Trivia*   Stamford Bridge was originally an athletics stadium, when it was sold to new owners they offered Fulham (the local team) the opportunity to stage their games there but Fulham turned it down - too expensive - the owners then decided to form their own team & took the name Chelsea from the adjoining Borough. - had Fulham accepted there would be no Chelsea FC !! as the club was only formed to fill the ground.....

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

When I lived in Nottingham (a few decades ago) I was told that the City ground was not within the boundary of the City of Nottingham, but was in the County of Nottinghamshire. By contrast Notts County’s ground is in the City.

confusing or what? 

17 minutes ago, The Enormous Turnip said:

TNS in Wales spring to mind (though I believe they’ve since been renamed)! I can remember Jeff Stelling saying, whenever they won a home game or a league title - “they’ll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight!” 

Were renamed as The New Saints. 

50 minutes ago, Midred said:

Where did they get the connection with Stamford Bridge,  a village up in yorkshire?

I recall some years ago when talks were being held about Northern Ireland, the Belfast Agreement.

I forget the precise details, but some journalists from an Irish TV station or newspaper flew in to Leeds airport and asked a taxi driver to take them to Leeds Castle.... 

53 minutes ago, phantom said:

That's the correct spelling 

Screenshot_20190116-162822_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't doubt for one minute that the name of the St was correct, but if the football club was named after him / her then they spelt it wrong

I was trying to be funny. This has not gone well ?

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

That's right .....the City Ground has a NG2 postcode (as does Notts Cty),  and is in Nottingham in the same way that BS3 Bedminster  is in Bristol.

While we're at it ................Chelsea * play in Fulham,  the borough of Kensington & Chelsea is next door

Trivia*   Stamford Bridge was originally an athletics stadium, when it was sold to new owners they offered Fulham (the local team) the opportunity to stage their games there but Fulham turned it down - too expensive - the owners then decided to form their own team & took the name Chelsea from the adjoining Borough. - had Fulham accepted there would be no Chelsea FC !! as the club was only formed to fill the ground.....

Liverpool have similar origins to Chelsea.   They were formed to make use of Anfield after Everton had vacated it.

Archived