IGNORED

Football teams not named after where they play

Kodjias Wrist

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I don't doubt for one minute that the name of the St was correct, but if the football club was named after him / her then they spelt it wrong

I was trying to be funny. This has not gone well ?

Lol, I get what you mean now 

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

That's right .....the City Ground has a NG2 postcode (as does Notts Cty),  and is in Nottingham in the same way that BS3 Bedminster  is in Bristol.

While we're at it ................Chelsea * play in Fulham,  the borough of Kensington & Chelsea is next door

Trivia*   Stamford Bridge was originally an athletics stadium, when it was sold to new owners they offered Fulham (the local team) the opportunity to stage their games there but Fulham turned it down - too expensive - the owners then decided to form their own team & took the name Chelsea from the adjoining Borough. - had Fulham accepted there would be no Chelsea FC !! as the club was only formed to fill the ground.....

Similar to that... 

Everton originally played at Anfield but a dispute over rent meant they relocated to Goodison. The owner of Anfield needed a team to fill his empty stadium and formed Liverpool football club. 

** @Southstandoriginal beat me to it!

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I thought it was named after a posh house/private club in the area  (going back a bit ) where the founders used to meet .

I grew up in staffordshire. I seem to remember the common consensus there was it was something to do with the canals. 

Valley of ports or something like that.

But i don't think anyone really knows for sure!

1 hour ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Different Stamford. 

Stamford Brook is a small river in west London which I think is basically nearly all built over.

If they started with a ford of the Stam brook, then replaced the ford with a bridge, it should really be called Stambrook Bridge.

4 hours ago, nick jones of hereford said:

When I lived in Nottingham (a few decades ago) I was told that the City ground was not within the boundary of the City of Nottingham, but was in the County of Nottinghamshire. By contrast Notts County’s ground is in the City.

confusing or what? 

It’s the old river boundary thing again. In Bristol the Avon traditionally divided that part of south Bristol in Somerset from the majority of the city in Gloucestershire. In Nottingham the Trent divided the city of Nottingham from the outlying suburbs in the wider Nottinghamshire. In the old days you’d have rushed over the bridge from West Bridgford to Nottingham to get an extra half hours drinking time. 

2 minutes ago, Portred said:

Don’t Wimbledon play in Milton Keynes?? ??

Nice try, but they were named after the Wimbledon area of London and used to play there before they got dragged 56 miles away to Milton Keynes and renamed as MK Dons.

You'd win if the queston was "What team did the town of Milton Keynes steal in 2002?" but it isnt ?

51 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Can't find Melchester on the map.

Apparently their ground holds 56,000 and they have a striker we should be looking at.

He’s only got one foot these days....left one, was blown off by terrorists or something like that.

I believe that when West Ham United played at the Boleyn Grounds (Upton Park) it is actually in East Ham.

Now at the Olympic Stadium, definitely not West Ham.

In Scotland, St Johnstone play in Perth.

Bournemouth play in Boscombe.

Torquay United play in Babbacombe which may or may not be a suburb if Torquay.

19 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

Don't Grimsby play in Cleethorpes?

Yes.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

I believe that when West Ham United played at the Boleyn Grounds (Upton Park) it is actually in East Ham.

Now at the Olympic Stadium, definitely not West Ham.

In Scotland, St Johnstone play in Perth.

Bournemouth play in Boscombe.

Torquay United play in Babbacombe which may or may not be a suburb if Torquay.

Hi @cidered abroad.

I seem to recall you are a fan of Bologna, so you are no doubt familiar with the 'cappellacci di zucca' dish @italian dave and I have been discussing.

Any thoughts/comments on this 'strange' delicacy?  

Archived