IGNORED

Football teams not named after where they play

Kodjias Wrist

16 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

....oh, and Partick don't play in Partick.

They did until the early 1900s....I know that doesn’t count, although @cider-manc said ‘historically counts’  but any excuse to discuss the mighty Jags on here! Proper fans in The Jackie Husband Stand - banging out original tunes non stop on dismal, grey Glasgow afternoons...happy days! (As your tragic ex manager used to say in a very sad way!)

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hi @cidered abroad.

I seem to recall you are a fan of Bologna, so you are no doubt familiar with the 'cappellacci di zucca' dish @italian dave and I have been discussing.

Any thoughts/comments on this 'strange' delicacy?  

Sorry but not a fan, just went to Bologna on holiday in 2017. It's pumpkin ravioli from the city of Ferrara which is north east of Bologna en route to Venezia. Never tasted it so as a lover of Italian food, may have a go at making it. The word Zucca must be the original name of pumpkin and zucchini is a diminutive that means courgette.

Queen of the South play in Dumfries and are the only club whose name appears in the Bible. Regarding the various comments about Port Vale, they were named Burslem Port Vale after Burslem one of the 5 towns of Stoke on Trent they play in. Earlier in their history they played in Hanley the next town to Stoke where you've guessed it Stoke City play.

Clyde are named after a river, Ross County play in Dingwall and Hibernian Is the Gaelic name for Ireland.

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Espanyol could be considered here as well. Yes they play in Spain but they don't have a particularly specific name.

In that case I'm throwing in the dross that is Sporting ?

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was going to mention them, my son used to live with a Portugese girl whose family were all Sporting fans. Don't diss Sporting!

Your family is really not good at picking sides :)

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Queen of the South play in Dumfries and are the only club whose name appears in the Bible.

Whilst the Doonhamers do appear in The Bible so, too, do Arsenal. They are however the only side whose ground is named after a Prime Minister (and dump it was when I visited - since a kid I've always looked for their results...)

For the Scottish side of things look up the utterly brilliant Jonathan Meades' series 'Off Kilter', the episode in which he uses his sat nav to attempt to traverse Scottish football grounds. 

As for Crystal Palace they are named after an area. The Crystal Palace, built by Joseph Paxton for the 1851 Great Exhibition, was moved to Sydenham Hill in 1854. The area around it then became called Crystal Palace including the sports ground where Bristol City contested the 1909 Cup Final. Crystal Palace the club were formed way after 1854 so were named after the area in which they played.

50 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

and Everton! They've never played in the area of Everton! 

The original club was a church football team from the Everton area, I am reliably informed by a professional Scouser neighbour.

Just to confuse things, Liverpool were originally named Everton FC and were an off-shoot of this early club.

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The original club was a church football team from the Everton area, I am reliably informed by a professional Scouser neighbour.

Just to confuse things, Liverpool were originally named Everton FC and were an off-shoot of this early club.

Scousers stereotypically nicking stuff again :)

(Note to self 10 minutes)

On 16/01/2019 at 11:33, slartibartfast said:

I thought it was named after a posh house/private club in the area  (going back a bit ) where the founders used to meet .

I’m not even sure the house was that posh, just a terraced house with a name.

Thats what I read anyway. We could both be wrong but I’ve gone through most of my adult life thinking Port Vale was named after a house.

Archived