IGNORED

Team for Forest options

daored

Tough one Johnson this Saturday, following the impact of the subs on Saturday. Also taking into account Kelly’s error with the opening goal. 

Forest under new management, looking like a sell out crowd, but with several suspensions.

Interesting debate re Palmer or Paterson to start, always think a player going back to their formal club will have extra motivation, although Palmer would have had a full week training with the team.

O’Dowda, also playing in front of his ex international manager may see an impressive game from him.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:31, daored said:

Tough one Johnson this Saturday, following the impact of the subs on Saturday. Also taking into account Kelly’s error with the opening goal. 

Forest under new management, looking like a sell out crowd, but with several suspensions.

Interesting debate re Palmer or Paterson to start, always think a player going back to their formal club will have extra motivation, although Palmer would have had a full week training with the team.

O’Dowda, also playing in front of his ex international manager may see an impressive game from him.

With the strongest City squad ever assembled (my honest opinion) picking the side for Saturday will be tricky.

We could easily pick two or strong teams for this league now.  There are so many possibilities for this squad, well on paper at least.

My team for Sat would be

Maeenpa

Hunt    Webs    Kalas   Kelly

Eliasson  Brownhill  Pack   O'Dowda

Palmer

Diedhiou

11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

With the strongest City squad ever assembled (my honest opinion) picking the side for Saturday will be tricky.

We could easily pick two or strong teams for this league now.  There are so many possibilities for this squad, well on paper at least.

My team for Sat would be

Maeenpa

Palmer

Diedhiou

I would swap Da Silva for Kelly as I rate him highly and think we need that greater counter-attack threat and maybe Wiemann for Eliasson as the latter allows more room for Hunt to overlap whilst helping out more defensively.

Keep Eliasson fresh for home game the following week.

19 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Yep I don't see LJ changing much but it would be nice to silence the home crowd early doors and see the away end go bonkers and do the Bristol bounce... 

Tbh, bar maybe eliasson for Weimann that’s our strongest team currently away from home. I’d give Palmer another week before he becomes a starter and da Silva isn’t solid enough defensively

10 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Tbh, bar maybe eliasson for Weimann that’s our strongest team currently away from home. I’d give Palmer another week before he becomes a starter and da Silva isn’t solid enough defensively

On what basis do you say Da Silva not solid enough defensively?

Don't want to bring up the recent mistake by LK but I think that ball ends up in row z wth Da Silva playing.

I grant you we have often seen Da Silva caught up pitch on a counter but he has great recovery speed and is being asked to play that way, but, in general I don’t see much get passed him when he is in position.

Genuinely intrigued as apart from stature and build I personally don’t understand how LK starts ahead of him at left back (not saying I do not rate LK - I think he oozes class and is destined for the PL and ??????? in the future but with a lot of emphasis on using the full pitch in our play Da Silva is a better all round fit for me).

19 minutes ago, Neo said:

Don't want to bring up the recent mistake by LK but I think that ball ends up in row z wth Da Silva playing.

I grant you we have often seen Da Silva caught up pitch on a counter but he has great recovery speed and is being asked to play that way, but, in general I don’t see much get passed him when he is in position.

Genuinely intrigued as apart from stature and build I personally don’t understand how LK starts ahead of him at left back (not saying I do not rate LK - I think he oozes class and is destined for the PL and ??????? in the future but with a lot of emphasis on using the full pitch in our play Da Silva is a better all round fit for me).

I just think his positioning, defensive awareness and ability are worse than lk. 

For instance, when da silva has a winger coming towards him, he does just what Joe used to do and backs off until the winger cna get a cross in, Lloyd pushes the winger either backwards or further out wide and is able to deal with the danger. 

Also, I think da silva is too small to be a defender. I know that sounds like a comment from the 60s but I feel that teams can utilise da silvas height (5 ft 6?) to their advantage, we don't have that problem with Lloyd 

I'm not saying da silva is a bad player, he's a bloody good one, I just feel more confident away from home with lk in the team

13 hours ago, reddogkev said:

My team for Sat would be

Maeenpa

Palmer

Diedhiou

Not often I agree with reddogkev, but on this selection I do! 

Number 1 cock-up I want LJ to avoid, is playing Palmer in the No.10 role BUT keeping Pato in the side at LM.  

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

I just think his positioning, defensive awareness and ability are worse than lk. 

For instance, when da silva has a winger coming towards him, he does just what Joe used to do and backs off until the winger cna get a cross in, Lloyd pushes the winger either backwards or further out wide and is able to deal with the danger. 

Also, I think da silva is too small to be a defender. I know that sounds like a comment from the 60s but I feel that teams can utilise da silvas height (5 ft 6?) to their advantage, we don't have that problem with Lloyd 

I'm not saying da silva is a bad player, he's a bloody good one, I just feel more confident away from home with lk in the team

I agree with a lot of that. I’m not sure we’ve seen Dasilva tested by a top class winger yet, have we? That would make me a little nervous. 

44 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I agree with a lot of that. I’m not sure we’ve seen Dasilva tested by a top class winger yet, have we? That would make me a little nervous. 

Get that completely, and not for a minute do I think he's berter than cod or eliasson. 

We did though play with Joe in front of mags for part of last season, I could see that working with Kelly and da silva

3 hours ago, Neo said:

From the little I've observed, I don’t think he has more deficiencies than most full-backs.  Most will struggle on their blind-sides, which would be the only thing I’ve picked up.  Suspect this can be improved through familiarity of playing with Webster inside him, and getting used to distances between them.  I don’t think it needs to be a Kelly is better than Dasilva at x or y or z type argument.  They are different types of full-backs, both decent enough at this level.

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I don’t really think height is an issue, he has a good leap like Bryan and competes well in the air.  Like all things, Webster will need to understand when big ugly strikers like Morison at Millwall start peeling onto Dasilva to gain advantage and decide whether we focus on winning the knock downs or attack the first ball.  The Millwall goal was an example where between Webster and Kelly didn’t make that judgement and got left in no-man’s land.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

From the little I've observed, I don’t think he has more deficiencies than most full-backs.  Most will struggle on their blind-sides, which would be the only thing I’ve picked up.  Suspect this can be improved through familiarity of playing with Webster inside him, and getting used to distances between them.  I don’t think it needs to be a Kelly is better than Dasilva at x or y or z type argument.  They are different types of full-backs, both decent enough at this level.

I don’t really think height is an issue, he has a good leap like Bryan and competes well in the air.  Like all things, Webster will need to understand when big ugly strikers like Morison at Millwall start peeling onto Dasilva to gain advantage and decide whether we focus on winning the knock downs or attack the first ball.  The Millwall goal was an example where between Webster and Kelly didn’t make that judgement and got left in no-man’s land.

I can see what you're saying, but in the physical league that is the championship I don't think 5 ft 5 defenders can cope on a weekly basis. 

Even if da silva were to have a decent leap, he could probably get up to about 5 ft10/11, which even still would see him outmuscled by most championship strikers. I also doubt,m webster/kalas will want to be regularly dragged out of position, which having Kelly at left back means they wouldn't need to do

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

I can see what you're saying, but in the physical league that is the championship I don't think 5 ft 5 defenders can cope on a weekly basis. 

Even if da silva were to have a decent leap, he could probably get up to about 5 ft10/11, which even still would see him outmuscled by most championship strikers. I also doubt,m webster/kalas will want to be regularly dragged out of position, which having Kelly at left back means they wouldn't need to do

He's 5'7"?

3 hours ago, GoodridgeandGoater said:

Guediora in the Forest midfield was really impressive in the Ashton Gate game and made things tick. I think Johnson will play Palmer and will deploy him dropping off as a third midfielder to press and harry. More capable at doing this than Paterson, who should drop to bench. 

Best player on the pitch that day. Not sure he was a regular starter though under Karanka though.

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

My point still stands

If that was the case there’d be no short full-back in the Champ, ever.

You’re looking at it too one dimensionally.  There’s cause and effect all over the pitch.  If Webster’s man starts peeling onto JDS, Webster no longer has anyone to mark.  What do we do in that situation?  Lots of things.

By your reckoning, if all teams play short, quick wingers, that would mean we can’t have a 6’3” left back in Kelly week in week out.

19 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Forest fans very confident of victory . Really hope we can beat them. Some of the stuff I’ve been reading you would of thought they were back in the premiership. Sounding very much like another team in the championship  :whistle:

That’s Forest fans for you.

Still living in 1981..

If we want to play more of a counter attacking game, could Pisano at RB be an option?

Reckon he's better defensively in a number of ways and Hunt better when we are taking the initiative. If we can rotate Da Silva and Kelly, there could be a case in certain games for mixing and matching with Pisano and Hunt- though Hunt clearly better and more valuable in medium to long term. Pisano did a solid job in the early to middling parts of our good run.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Forest fans very confident of victory . Really hope we can beat them. Some of the stuff I’ve been reading you would of thought they were back in the premiership. Sounding very much like another team in the championship  :whistle:

I just looked at their forum and they’re very worried about their defence. One posted ‘it’s in tatters’

Didnt see any posts of beating us tomorrow.....not where you got that very confident of victory from.

Some opinions and insights from the Forest Forum

If Brizzle try to come at us we''l pulverise them. If they sit back and attack on the counter, they will win.

If it was considered good enough, Id take a draw, move on & hope for some swift reinforcements.

...our cardboard back four will collapse

A hearty, not without it's good points 0-0

Full house, fizzing atmosphere.

Rousing O'Neill team talk, players fired up like never before.

Scrappy draw.

Carvalhos been roaming all season. I think MON will have him much more disciplined positionally, picking up second balls & recycling them.

Predicting a 2-1 defeat,dull football and a better atmosphere.

I think we have been affording way too much respect to some very average opposition with the whole 1 up top thing.

I'm going for 3-1 forest, MON New manager bounce and all that shizzle

It don't matter what team we put on the pitch. MoN and Keano on the bench will intimidate the shit out of the opposition. We can't ******* lose on Saturday

Archived