IGNORED

Leeds Emergency Press Conference 5pm

And Its Smith

14 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That's how he explained it worked, which is why I'm a non-believer. He said his staff spent the time analysing the games and invested on average 4 hours a game. That's what tipped me to 'this has been prepared for the presser and he's blagging this for PR' and now everyone is not talking about sneaky, sneaky Bielsa, but what a magnificent manager he is. It's had exactly the desired effect. In my opinion, maybe I am wrong. 

Man City have an analysis department that provides in depth support from its nine and ten years up to its XI.

Leeds? What Biesla says supposedly happens would not be unique. It is now common. The timescales and effort are elastic depending on resource. 

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm glad this has become news worthy as I don't think the average football fan realises actually how much technology is used in football/sport these days.

Info from players wearing gadgets in there vests all being tracked via satellite and gathered by analysts using software.

Individual Apps that players have...and software tracking sleep patterns, rest, diet etc.

It really is mind blowing how much is used these days, and it's not really spoken about or shown via the national media.

I've used layman's terms here.

And at Man City you can be in a theatre at the training facility and minutes after a game or training watch in depth statistical 3D analysis of what your have just viewed … Minutes.

For a £100 you can gps track your players, sit in an office, look at the app on your phone and see their training stats, pulse, speed, distance being covered, heat maps as they move.

The possibility is endless.   

As many ex pros have said the specific advantage of spying on a Friday training session is most if not all teams practice team shape and set pieces with their starting XI for the game the next day. Not the same as watching a game at the stadium the week before.

So had Palace been spying on us before that play off semi final then Louis Carey would never have scored from that unusual corner/free kick (can’t remember now) routine as Palace would have picked it up and had a body in the right place.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

As many ex pros have said the specific advantage of spying on a Friday training session is most if not all teams practice team shape and set pieces with their starting XI for the game the next day. Not the same as watching a game at the stadium the week before.

So had Palace been spying on us before that play off semi final then Louis Carey would never have scored from that unusual corner/free kick (can’t remember now) routine as Palace would have picked it up and had a body in the right place.

"The Weasel" IIRC.

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Presumably the rest of the Championship are now sending 'scouts' to 'investigate' Leeds at their training ground on a daily/weekly basis? After all, that would be perfectly ok.

In reality I think the rules will be changed. No punishment for Leeds, or at least limited, as they haven’t really broken a rule except perhaps some general spirit of the game type rule that means nothing.

It’s certainly impressive all of this data on teams and players. As others have said I’m sure every team does it to a greater or lesser extent. However like any data set it’s the interpretation of it that’s important. Also the interpretation of it during a live game and how to change things

17 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It’s certainly impressive all of this data on teams and players. As others have said I’m sure every team does it to a greater or lesser extent. However like any data set it’s the interpretation of it that’s important. Also the interpretation of it during a live game and how to change things

I think Bielsa is and has been known as a bit of an obsessive down the years. Obviously all clubs do this to a lesser or greater extent, but he is incredibly driven.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/explaining-marcelo-bielsa-how-argentine-came-influence-footballs-greatest-managers

I love this segment!

Never one to do anything by halves, Bielsa finds it impossible to switch off. A frequent de-stress technique is to go for a run. At 2am. While listening to his favourite coaching mix tape detailing the 22 formations he believes are possible on a football pitch.

So engrossed was Bielsa while running through the grounds of Argentina’s Ezeiza training complex in early 1999, he couldn’t hear local police shouting at him. Finally noticing a dozen guns pointed at him, he hid behind a tree, pleading: “Don’t shoot! I’m Bielsa!”

NEXT: An inspiration to Simeone, Pochettino and Guardiola

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/explaining-marcelo-bielsa-how-argentine-came-influence-footballs-greatest-managers#BCsKGLrK5HvUH0wo.99

7 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm glad this has become news worthy as I don't think the average football fan realises actually how much technology is used in football/sport these days.

That's right. I just wish Lee would say a bit more, something, anything, about what he does and uses behind the scenes. We want to know!

21 hours ago, 29AR said:

For me it comes to simple maths. Every champ team played at least 48 games last year (46 league, 2 cups). Multiple that by 23, multiple that by 4 hours a game. Talking 4,500 hours. Times that by 1.5 as we are hald way through a season and he's looking this year too, perhaps more closely this year as it's of relevance. Most people., including (relatively) poorly paid analysts will do a 35 hour week. Even if he had 10 analysts, we are talking 6 months of work before it even starts getting compounded. It just doesn't seem remotely plausible... to me. 

Surely tho it would take half the time as they wouldn't watch the same game twice? They would cover both teams whilst watching.

13 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Surely tho it would take half the time as they wouldn't watch the same game twice? They would cover both teams whilst watching.

You win the battle; not the war, still not buying it haha.

All these people saying'this is so common, every club is doing it', doesn't account for the surprise from current managers, pundits, ex-footballers hailing him. The response would be nonchalence from those within the game. That it is not and the surprise to the vastness of the dossier clearly demonstrates it ain't that common... and I wager they only have that on derby. 

Not for one moment suggesting football hasn't become very intricate, scientific, data driven; just the extent of what he claims is at his fingertips on everyone. That's all - i think he's presenting soo much to dispel the effect of spygate.

12 hours ago, 29AR said:

That's how he explained it worked, which is why I'm a non-believer. He said his staff spent the time analysing the games and invested on average 4 hours a game. That's what tipped me to 'this has been prepared for the presser and he's blagging this for PR' and now everyone is not talking about sneaky, sneaky Bielsa, but what a magnificent manager he is. It's had exactly the desired effect. In my opinion, maybe I am wrong. 

Me and you are on the same wavelength here.

Just skimmed through this so appologies if I am repeating a point already made, but you have to consider we have a coach who measures grass length! I don’t think we are on the same scale as Leeds but  as far as using data is concerned we aren’t  a million miles behind. I think LJ would secretly admire the levels of scrutony here. 

18 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Very unlikely they were practicing that the day before the game! IMHO

I don’t really have a problem with it. Journalists have been doing it for decades. I would only have an issue if they filmed it and/or they were situated on private property 

14 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

That's right. I just wish Lee would say a bit more, something, anything, about what he does and uses behind the scenes. We want to know!

At Man City you can see what they use behind the scenes, meet the technical staff, ask questions and they do tours of their training facility. I did similar with a team who played v a Man City trialists team.

I enquired if Bristol City do anything similar and it was a no.  

42 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

At Man City you can see what they use behind the scenes, meet the technical staff, ask questions and they do tours of their training facility. I did similar with a team who played v a Man City trialists team.

I enquired if Bristol City do anything similar and it was a no.  

Same at Ajax...or it least it was. Did it a few years back.

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Very unlikely they were practicing that the day before the game! IMHO

I don’t really have a problem with it. Journalists have been doing it for decades. I would only have an issue if they filmed it and/or they were situated on private property 

Ex pros seem to think teams do practice the day before the game. It makes perfect sense to fine tune what you are planning to put into practice the following day.

20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

And while there would be a lot less to see at BCFC there would be benefit in more youtube videos highlighting what Bristol City are doing.

I agree...the Club imo, could be a lot more transparent and give better info for the fans. Plus less mixed messages. It would definitely help towards a better understanding of the Clubs directions and expectations.

Archived