IGNORED

Webster’s value

nickolas

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of interest, why is there this English premium?

I see and read about if often, but never quite certain why.

Not certain. Something about needing to meet a quota of English players rings a bell? Especially at top end big Prem clubs where they can have the pick of the worlds talent. 

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of interest, why is there this English premium?

I see and read about if often, but never quite certain why.

Champ

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/efl-clubs-increase-homegrown-quota-in-matchday-squads-a3509346.html

Prem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homegrown_Player_Rule_(England)

Really impressed with him now. Initially put off because initially I thought he ran in a slightly knock-kneed manner but the incisiveness of his passing, his ability to take the ball out from the back and run with it and of course the way he bosses the opposing attack in getting to the ball is very, very impressive

I don't think Webster yet in £15m bracket because Mepham is producing at a high level for a 2nd season in a row, whereas this is Webster's breakout. Also Mepham 21, Webster 23, 24.

Webster £10m maybe? If he keeps it up and keeps developing though then his value will rise and rise.

That said , £15m is surely too high a price- Howe does seem to have a tendency to overspend or has of late. Ibe- £15m, Smith £3m.

Looked again at Webster yeah if Mepham is in that bracket, he maybe too.

Thing is, with the TV money combined with the fact you can lose £35m per season in PL which over a three year period is a frankly ridiculous £105m before you start to get in trouble- well it is very hard indeed to fail FFP up there. Amortisation and that, probably means they are if not exactly profitable, then certainly at no risk of failing FFP. Take Bournemouth- according to their most recently published accounts, they made a profit of £13.991m in 2016/17. Therefore over the following 2 seasons they can lose £118.991m which halved is nearly £59.5m per season in pursuit of strengthening etc.

Mainly TV cash though IMO.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Could attempt to use it as a baseline for Kelly if a prem club comes calling 

I have been saying it since the summer when they were quoting 20m for him. Him and Kelly are so similar in experience, age and position that it would be mental to get less for Kelly than Brentford do for Mepham. One thing possibly going against Kelly is playing him at LB where the value tends to be lower. 

On 16/01/2019 at 21:46, David Brent said:

Must be. Of course they would be respecting any FFP regulations.

On 16/01/2019 at 21:47, Med/MadHatter said:

Oh of course they are :laugh:

What FFP rules do premier league clubs have to work too..?

On 16/01/2019 at 15:28, southvillekiddy said:

Really impressed with him now. Initially put off because initially I thought he ran in a slightly knock-kneed manner but the incisiveness of his passing, his ability to take the ball out from the back and run with it and of course the way he bosses the opposing attack in getting to the ball is very, very impressive

Like Fergie didnt rate Henderson because of way he ran.

On 16/01/2019 at 22:11, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh but he had all that when we signed him (and he was younger!) yet he wasn’t worth £12m then? It wasn’t so long ago....

Our transfer for him would see him become our most expensive transfer if all additional fees are met.

£3.5 rising to £8m depending on appearances, because of his previous injury issues.

So an £8m value when we signed him, he's gone from strength to strength this season, not unfeasible to see a few million extra added on his value.

22 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Our transfer for him would see him become our most expensive transfer if all additional fees are met.

£3.5 rising to £8m depending on appearances, because of his previous injury issues.

So an £8m value when we signed him, he's gone from strength to strength this season, not unfeasible to see a few million extra added on his value.

Was going to post similar. Even if we do not end up paying 8m for him we are prepared to. Idk how it works though. If we sold him today would we have to pay the 8m? Would we have to make the payments based on his appearances for another club? Assuming it is appearance based. 

In a way buying for that price(the whole 8m) means we can hold out for more and easier to understand from Webster’s point of view. Example would be a prem club bids 9m for him but we have agreed to pay 8 so not much profit. Surely a player would understand that his value is now much higher. 

31 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I thought if we get promoted it'll be 8m? Not sure where I remember reading that 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I thought if we get promoted it'll be 8m? Not sure where I remember reading that 

Probably a mixture of things like appearances, international caps(can he play for anyone other than England?) and promotion. Another good question is do we have to pay the fee if he goes to a prem club from us? 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Was going to post similar. Even if we do not end up paying 8m for him we are prepared to. Idk how it works though. If we sold him today would we have to pay the 8m? Would we have to make the payments based on his appearances for another club? Assuming it is appearance based. 

In a way buying for that price(the whole 8m) means we can hold out for more and easier to understand from Webster’s point of view. Example would be a prem club bids 9m for him but we have agreed to pay 8 so not much profit. Surely a player would understand that his value is now much higher. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Probably a mixture of things like appearances, international caps(can he play for anyone other than England?) and promotion. Another good question is do we have to pay the fee if he goes to a prem club from us? 

Generally, Whatever the clauses, you only pay out if they are met.  I do wonder whether some could be transferred on though.

Of course the other on Webster’s head will be percentage sell-on, which can continue through multiple transfers if they keep being sold for more.

E.g. Assuming Kodjia sold for £30m, we’d get sell-on from Villa, but so would Angers too.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Cheers James, I didn’t realise we could end up spending £8m on the signing of Webster...£4.5m in add ons is lots. Well, LJ certainly can’t say he hasn’t been backed in the transfer market - £8m for someone who’d only made around 50 previous championship appearances and was playing in the conference 4 years ago...still, it looks like he could turn out to be a good ‘un...

Archived