IGNORED

Semenyo Recalled (Merged)

Ashtonwurzel

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Or you could think about signing Webster, Da Silva, maepenaa, Kalas, hunt, Diedhiou, Eliasson, the list goes on. 

Of course I could be wrong, but would you not count them as 'sensible' bits of business?

The counter argument is Engvall, Djúric, Watkins, and the loans etc.  Eisa, I’ll reserve judgment until we know what is happening with him.

Lets day the trend is improving....which is good.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The counter argument is Engvall, Djúric, Watkins, and the loans etc.  Eisa, I’ll reserve judgment until we know what is happening with him.

If Semenyo is coming back to be in our first team squad, maybe Eisa will go to Newport on loan for rest of this season?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Engvall ill accept, Duric and Watkins have been/were ruined with injuries. Duric, when played, was a good player. Harsh to judge Watkins after 4, injury disrupted, months

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If Semenyo is coming back to be in our first team squad, maybe Eisa will go to Newport on loan for rest of this season?

That would explain why he didn't play on Friday, they are in the middle of the Middlesborough tie and would want a player that isn't cup tied.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Engvall ill accept, Duric and Watkins have been/were ruined with injuries. Duric, when played, was a good player. Harsh to judge Watkins after 4, injury disrupted, months

Yet, we’d just got Djuric fit (paying a lot of medical bills in the process), and let him leave for a paltry fee, and then LJ comes out and says we are going to play more direct.  Was a strange signing at the time, and a strange sale too.

Watkins is ok in fairness, but nobody has ever paid a fee for him in his career, and we paid £1m!!

Hegeler, Giefer, Lucic, Diony, Kent etc.

As I said, that is in the past, the trend us upward, let’s hope it continues.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

This did cross my mind, at least the bit about Eisa. Not sure what we would gain from it, apart from actual playing time. If we did send him out I would hope he would go to L1.
As for Semenyo , would he get any more playing time than Eisa ?  Specially with LJ saying Taylor is ready to start training again , unless that's all bluff . Or they could even be "doing a Chelsea" and play him in the hope he signs a new contract ( bit like Adoi ) .
All conjecture , and it keeps the forum ticking over , interesting times in BS3.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That would explain why he didn't play on Friday, they are in the middle of the Middlesborough tie and would want a player that isn't cup tied.

I think it’s fair to say that had we got the third goal, Mo would’ve got some game time.  He warmed up a few times.  If he was going to Newport, to hold him back on the basis that Newport would get anything at Boro (yes, I know they did) would be a bit weird, bearing in mind to scupper a deal of a L2 club because of a cup run.  Of course you may we’ll be right.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wouldn’t be a bad shout - had thought Eisa played in round three, but took a look and seems he didn’t.

Eisa doesn’t seems to have a look in just now, so I’d think a loan would be wise; in the grand sheme of things, playing a million for him isn’t that much, even if it takes a year or so to get up to speed.

Sending him back down the leagues might feel like a backward step but game time is game time; he scores ten goals, he loses no value and we reassess in the summer.

1 minute ago, Super said:

I really hope we havent recalled him instead of bringing in a striker in the transfer market. We cant be that stupid surely?

Depends if we can’t get one in though. Clubs have to be willing to sell and within budget. No point getting someone no better than we got already 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, the record on transfers is a mixed one. There are never any guarantees even if you sign proven players.

The problem is that there are some fans who blame LJ for the ones that don't work but refuse to give credit for those that do. Though not you I should stress.

I strongly suspect the improving trend is in part due to Ashton having less of a say in transfers. It was suggested in the summer that LJ had pressed for more English based players to be signed.

His pointed comment early in the season that signings can't always be about the future also told a tale I thought.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s fair to say that had we got the third goal, Mo would’ve got some game time.  He warmed up a few times.  If he was going to Newport, to hold him back on the basis that Newport would get anything at Boro (yes, I know they did) would be a bit weird, bearing in mind to scupper a deal of a L2 club because of a cup run.  Of course you may we’ll be right.

It was just a thought, we seem to have good links with Newport so it might the diplomatic move to keep them happy.

Don’t believe for one second in the Chelsea transfer, purely based on the fact that they are already under criticism for hoarding so much young talent and loaning them out. Wouldn’t make sense for them or Semenyo himself career wise. And I don’t think he would go there as a first team player right now!

Maybe lessons have been learned from last season and the fact the cup run took so much out of the players. With another cup run on the horizon (Wimbledon at home for example) then maybe it’s a case of having to numbers to cover the games. Semenyo to play cup games and be on the bench for league games.

Would rather this than Watkins anyway!

7 minutes ago, Super said:

I really hope we havent recalled him instead of bringing in a striker in the transfer market. We cant be that stupid surely?

Wouldn’t surprise me. Could he play the Bobby Reid role?

Just going by how the club have put this across tonight though, I don’t see us selling him.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yet, we’d just got Djuric fit (paying a lot of medical bills in the process), and let him leave for a paltry fee, and then LJ comes out and says we are going to play more direct.  Was a strange signing at the time, and a strange sale too.

Watkins is ok in fairness, but nobody has ever paid a fee for him in his career, and we paid £1m!!

Re Djuric there are other factors.

1. He wanted to go back to Italy - having ensured we had paid for his operations. Forgive my cynicism about his motives.

2. LJ also said that one of the reasons the bid was accepted was to fund Kalas' wages while staying within his budget. If so, on balance a good thing, especially as Djuric would usually have been on the bench.

The others are beyond dispute. I have no particular beef with Watkins but I still don't see the logic behind signing him.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Could be. And I expect next season they will have Janneh from us. Maybe Lemonheigh Evans too to replace Bakinson who hopefully is loaned to league one. Good to have these close links with clubs so close to home.

I think that the two you have mentioned are only at Torquay because non-league doesn't count when counting the maximum number of loans we can make. It helps that GJ is there as well, because we know they will get looked after properly.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Re Djuric there are other factors.

1. He wanted to go back to Italy - having ensured we had paid for his operations. Forgive my cynicism about his motives.

2. LJ also said that one of the reasons the bid was accepted was to fund Kalas' wages while staying within his budget. If so, on balance a good thing, especially as Djuric would usually have been on the bench.

The others are beyond dispute. I have no particular beef with Watkins but I still don't see the logic behind signing him.

Yes, totally.  But we may’ve freed up wages, but we lost over £1m on the deal too.  I too couldn’t see Djuric starting many games either.

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I have no particular beef with Watkins but I still don't see the logic behind signing him.

I have no love for Watkins, I've questioned the signing a few times, but I think how our style has evolved he would suit the system very well. In a game we needed to be a bit more solid, he could be that defensive winger type that offered a bit more presence .
Whether that was the plan all along, who knows.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bad signings with the hindsight of knowing how their time here went (Geifer wasn't bad at all, just no better than the other goalkeepers)

Hegeler- 300k or so. Lots of Bundesliga experience. Sensible signing on paper, didn't work out.

Giefer- would have been beyond us if he hadn't had such a long time out with injury. Good signing on paper, didn't perform as he perhaps could but not really any better than what we had.

Lucic- high potential, bad attitude (it seems) can understand the club signing him

Diony- had scored just once all season when he signed (0 league goals, but inaccurately repeated on here as not scored all season). Had been signed by his club for €9m(?) a gamble that could have been fantastic or awful. It was the latter.

Kent- had done well, but inconstistantly so, with a poor Barnsley side.

36 minutes ago, Super said:

I hope we have to be honest. Be nice to see an example being made of him in regards to the pathway for future academy stars.

Archived