IGNORED

Semenyo Recalled (Merged)

Ashtonwurzel

35 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If Semenyo is off to Chelsea, how is this really any different to the McCoulsky deal?

We've a young guy with a lot of potential. We cannot justify playing him in our first team as he is not yet ready.  We do not have the financial luxury to simply keep him here with us, training with the 1st team and playing U23s. Also, the player does not want to play in our U23s for £3,000 a week.  Chelsea will give him a huge pay rise, the very best coaching, we make a very good profit, and we build the relationship as well.

I think I heard Ashton talk about players progressing faster than the club? It could be that Semenyo is now progressing faster than we are (up for debate of course). If so then fair play, look after yourself in this world and take the opportunities when they come knocking, you just cannot guarantee that they'll ever come again.

Footnote: If he does go then is it realistic to think Chelsea might  loan him back to us for the rest of the season?

Perhaps this is also an indication that the often derided player policy i.e. academy recruitment and bringing in young players with potential, is being vindicated.  

As the club and academy are progressing we will be able to attract,   and probably have already, better quality youngsters. That they start with better ability means that they could well progress faster than , and beyond,  our ability to reward  them with either first team progression, due to the quality of players already in the first team squad, or the financial rewards they could get elsewhere. 

Club's like Chelsea have the financial resources to take in youngsters with great potential, and can give them big salaries, compared to what we could offer, and let them go on loan - I now that loan rule changes could affect that strategy.

In that past the club were rightly criticised because so few of our academy and young players were good enough to make the first team. It's a bit of a turnaround that we might now have youngsters who are "too good" for Bristol City!

7 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I was told 2 weeks ago that SL wanted him back to play. But yes things may well have changed and we might be willing to sell straight away or a sale and loan back type scenario might be in the offing.

That's fascinating if true. I think LJ needs to be pushed more into using and having more faith in our academy players.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think Reid and Bryan are totally different scenarios to Semenyo.  They gave us over 200 appearances (might even be 300), and we got £15.4m (plus another potential £1m) for them both.

But I certainly agree with the sentiment re Semenyo if he does go.  I hope he has come back to play, but will need to wait to see if that is the case.

I don’t want to be critical of LJ here, but if I was, you may argue he’s not giving the youngsters an opportunity quick enough.  And you’d all be right to argue ‘what about Lloyd Kelly”, “what about Joe Morrell”, “what about Max O’Leary”, but of course you could also reverse that with Taylor Moore, Zak Vyner, Tyreeq Bakinson.

I’m gonna spin it positively that I’d look at it that the academy is doing very well, and there must be a point when we start to rely on these youngsters ahead of going into the transfer market for ordinary players in future.  

I haven’t seen enough of Walsh, but if you add Joe Williams (Everton rumour) too, that’s blocking Morrell and Bakinson potentially, certainly one of them, although Joe M has probably nipped in front of Walsh currrently.

It is a fine balancing act under the pressure of results, and the way we are going at the mo’, it’s hard to criticise.

If we are selling promising Academy/young pros too quickly, it is possibly because we have not had such a productive Academy before. And we are trying to use the cash gained from sales to build a better first team squad as quickly as possible to fulfil SL's "dream" of Premier League football.

However, I believe, that the longer we go on producing very good young players and are able to build the team with them, the selling will be restricted to maybe one very big sale every year or two. In that way, we will not be trying to rebuild the first team every year but to assimilate the young talent at a rate that does not hinder the upward progress.

As for blocking the youngsters, it will be the older pros who are more likely to the one's who will make way as they have reached the peak of their improvement. All of this is nothing new in football. Those of us old enough to remember will cite the Busby Babes as a prime example of a side with a good mix of senior pros, young recruits bought from other clubs and the youth (now Academy) who have progressed. And again in the AD days at City, where AD had plenty of good young ones and needed the older heads and legs like Rooks, Ernie Hunt to bring success.

It is a very interesting time to be a City supporter. Progress could be much faster than we realise if we can arrest the first team "Boom/Bust" spells which has a big effect on holding back youth progress into the first team. 

If AS has a choice in this perhaps he would do well to read this BBC article.

1. Posted at 12:0112:01

ff592afe-2239-4a67-8150-a7605004f8cb.jpg

There have been reports of Chelsea offering a new contract of £80,000 a week, but that has no interest for a player who was part of the England team which won the Under-17 World Cup in 2017.

In short, he just wants to play, and knows if he does not get assurances about game time at Chelsea, then Bayern Munich are waiting in the wings to offer him an opportunity like that given to England team-mate Jadon Sancho; his fellow 18-year-old who is starring in the Bundesliga already with Borussia Dortmund.

In that sense, Hudson-Odoi holds all the cards - and Chelsea have been backed into a corner.

Despite their insistence they want Hudson-Odoi to stay, they have paid Dortmund £58m for 20-year-old USA winger Christian Pulisic, who will join the club next season, while Gonzalo Higuain's loan arrival means Eden Hazard will revert to the wide position where he is most dangerous, adding to the queue of players between Hudson-Odoi and the first team.

They also know that if they keep Hudson-Odoi beyond deadline day, his value will drop dramatically given he has only 18 months left on his contract.

Article Reactions
    •  
      9 likes9
    •  
      0 dislikes0
    Article share tools

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I was told 2 weeks ago that SL wanted him back to play. But yes things may well have changed and we might be willing to sell straight away or a sale and loan back type scenario might be in the offing.

I can see this, Lee pushing for funds to bring in a second striker to support Fam, being quote money for a Championship ready striker,  while SL is saying, why not give the job to Semanyo for the second half of the season. I think that more fits the philosophy than breeding them just to sell. We all know who would win the argument.

1 minute ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

I can see this, Lee pushing for funds to bring in a second striker to support Fam, being quote money for a Championship ready striker,  while SL is saying, why not give the job to Semanyo for the second half of the season. I think that more fits the philosophy than breeding them just to sell. We all know who would win the argument.

This.

19 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

If I was SL I would be telling Lee to play Eisa, who scored a hatful in L2, before insisting on playing Semenyo whose record in that league, it could be argued, isn't as impressive.

I know he's younger and they are different players but the principle isn't that different.

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If I was SL I would be telling Lee to play Eisa, who scored a hatful in L2, before insisting on playing Semenyo whose record in that league, it could be argued, isn't as impressive.

I know he's younger and they are different players but the principle isn't that different.

Eh? So you know he's younger and you know they're different players? And the principle isn't that different?

Jeez..............

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Surely if Semanyo comes back then Eisa will be out on loan?

2 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

So SL is selecting the matchday squad then ?

He tells everyone he has the upmost faith in LJ so I sincerely hope you were given naff information to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

So SL is selecting the matchday squad then ?

He tells everyone he has the upmost faith in LJ so I sincerely hope you were given naff information to be honest.

When listening to Ashtonwurzel, always remember he stated just the other day that Eisa was definitely playing against Bolton.

1 hour ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

But Semenyo has been playing out wide for Newport. Huge risk expecting a 19 year old that hasn't played as a striker all season to come in and fulfill that role.

On 16/01/2019 at 16:15, Allwaysred said:

He's signed till end of season with no recall. 

He wasn't

On 16/01/2019 at 16:23, Allwaysred said:

Just out of intrest why did you raise this??

Someone thought he may be recalled.

On 16/01/2019 at 18:04, REDOXO said:

He can be recalled any time in January. Its on our website the BBC etc etc. This is why eyebrows were raised when Bakinson, who has the same loan deal, was confirmed as staying until the end of the season a week or so ago and Semenyo wasn't. There has been a load written about it on here already...But I know not everyone has time to read everything. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/bakinson-extends-south-wales-stay/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/semenyo-joins-newport-on-loan/

It's all there

On 17/01/2019 at 07:19, REDOXO said:

We have until the end of the month to make the decision on Semenyo

WE Did

On 17/01/2019 at 07:21, Allwaysred said:

He's staying @ Newport...... 

N he wasn't

On 17/01/2019 at 07:25, REDOXO said:

Maybe, but the current position is a matter of public record, see the links etc. We have until the EO month to bring him back or re loan as @JoeAman08 suggests

Read the links failure....ITK? My ass

On 17/01/2019 at 07:28, Allwaysred said:

Nope he's staying @ Newport. 

Ohhh no he isn't

On 17/01/2019 at 07:34, REDOXO said:

Grow up mate its all there.

Re pointing out the possibilities

On 17/01/2019 at 07:36, Allwaysred said:

It certainly is m8 but I know he's stay there till end of season.

Clearly not a clue!

I enjoyed that. I guess my mate had it spot on!

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

This sounds an excellent idea, so it is unfortunate that Semenyo is now cup-tied! ?.

I do wonder, though, whether this might be a sort of swap for Mo Eisa, sending him out on loan to Newport to play in a division in which he did so well with Cheltanham, thus allowing Semenyo to test the waters in our Championship run-in - but not in the cup ?.

Good point well made!

47 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

When listening to Ashtonwurzel, always remember he stated just the other day that Eisa was definitely playing against Bolton.

LJ said that he wanted  to play Eisa , he even sent him off to warm up several times but tactically the match was too close to risk changing the line up so he didn’t get the chance.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

That's fascinating if true. I think LJ needs to be pushed more into using and having more faith in our academy players

Having more faith??? How about not buying a left back after Joe Bryan left so that Lloyd Kelly could play.

Not signing a goalkeeper on loan when both Frankie and Milka were injured allowing Max O Leary a run of 4 games in the team.

Joe morrell having game time changing the game away at Ipswich and playing FA cup games.

Your comment about LJ needing more faith in the academy is ODD at best lazy at worse.

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Having more faith??? How about not buying a left back after Joe Bryan left so that Lloyd Kelly could play.

Not signing a goalkeeper on loan when both Frankie and Milka were injured allowing Max O Leary a run of 4 games in the team.

Joe morrell having game time changing the game away at Ipswich and playing FA cup games.

Your comment about LJ needing more faith in the academy is ODD at best lazy at worse.

Kelly is most people's "greatest ever academy graduate" so don't think he gets many props for playing him. He signed Dasilva did he not?

O'Leary, he was trying to buy another keeper. You not remember Zach Steffen? He was clearly trying to find another one and wasn't comfortable with O'Leary as a temporary number two. 

Morrell, LJ himself admitted that he wasn't planning on playing him vs Huddersfield but Pack got ill. He was trying to sign Williams too. Clearly been forced to play him and has now been made aware how good Morrell was/is. 

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Kelly is most people's "greatest ever academy graduate" so don't think he gets many props for playing him. He signed Dasilva did he not?

O'Leary, he was trying to buy another keeper. You not remember Zach Steffen? He was clearly trying to find another one.

Morrell, LJ himself admitted that he wasn't planning on playing him vs Huddersfield but Pack got ill. He was trying to sign Williams too. Clearly been forced to play him and has now been made aware how good Morrell was/is. 

Like Marcus Rashford - one can but hope.

Archived