IGNORED

Semenyo Recalled (Merged)

Ashtonwurzel

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

No I get it and agree with it seems ridiculous to not give him a go but was more suggesting that Giroud has been a proven goalscorer over the years in England. Believe he has over 100 goals in total for arsenal as well.

I agree, but unfair using just the Chelsea stats but makes you wonder Chelsea’s reasoning. Giroud has looked half the player he was at Arsenal. 

Then again, Hudson Adoi is only getting games since a serious offer came in. Not a great advert for the pathway to the first team.

57 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Absolutely. There’s one catastrophic mistake that Semenyo can make here and that is stay at Bristol City. 

Coaching, money & family... versus... some fans’ romantic idea that he’s more likely to succeed here. Unbelievable really. 

Have to agree,, this is the opportunity of a lifetime for him!

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

If Semenyo is wanting this move to be back in London, he's going to get a bit of a shock when he finds himself in Arnhem or Kilmarnock for the next couple if seasons...

I don't know why people are getting their knickers in a twist over this. The player will get paid a wage we would never be able to give him, we get a couple of million for player who's never played above League 2 and has only been in the pro football environment for 2 years and the odds are will never make a top flight appearance (not being harsh, but the odds are very much against teenage footballers making it 'big'). If he does beat the odds, we'll no doubt get a tidy sell on or appearance bonus. This is exactly what the academy is supposed to do; generate some revenue, generate some players for the first team

Agreed, shows our academy has become top notch when you can sell a player with 1 Championship app for a couple of million plus future bonuses.

This is a win-win for us, if he really is as talented as Chelsea think we will further profit in the future. If he is not then we have made a few mill and further strengthened our relationship with a team who has sent us 4 outstanding loanees in recent years.

I don’t see what anyone can moan about, imagine if we turn down this move he dreams of and then end up releasing him to Rochdale 2 years later as he feels so disenchanted at missing his big move to Chelsea. The same people would be moaning then!

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Agreed, shows our academy has become top notch when you can sell a player with 1 Championship app for a couple of million plus future bonuses.

This is a win-win for us, if he really is as talented as Chelsea think we will further profit in the future. If he is not then we have made a few mill and further strengthened our relationship with a team who has sent us 4 outstanding loanees in recent years.

I don’t see what anyone can moan about, imagine if we turn down this move he dreams of and then end up releasing him to Rochdale 2 years later as he feels so disenchanted at missing his big move to Chelsea. The same people would be moaning then!

You've not been on OTIB long then Marco? :)

12 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Until we know what sort of deal we have done it is mere speculation as to whether this is a good or bad move for City.

As for the player himself feel like many on here he is ill advised.  

While I do agree, I can see the other argument. Short career, can get injured at anytime and a 4/5 year contract at £15k a week is nice security. If us and Chelsea are just going to send him in loan then it’s an easy decision. 

I think that’s where tempting him with Championship football may come in, but I still think it will take a lot of convincing to stay, if Chelsea do start waving their cheque book.

51 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think that’s where tempting him with Championship football may come in, but I still think it will take a lot of convincing to stay, if Chelsea do start waving their cheque book.

Trouble is that Chelsea can offer him Championship football as well. Semenyo just has to ask Da Silva, Tammy, Kalas and Palmer about that. Chelsea can also offer him Dutch first division, Scottish first division, even German football. 

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Trouble is that Chelsea can offer him Championship football as well.

Sadly , possibly true. Even if he’s in our squad, no guarantees he’d stay in the team. In his position, I’d take the money.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Until we know what sort of deal we have done it is mere speculation as to whether this is a good or bad move for City.

As for the player himself feel like many on here he is ill advised.  

What is ill advised about going to Chelsea though with respect ? He can play football anywhere but I would bet even as one of the lowest earners in the U23's or whatever. he would be on around £10k per week, and a 3 year contract at that rate gives the young man (and perhaps his family) a massive boost. If he never gets near their first team so what ? He will likely play L1 or L2 and will almost certainly earn a living (injuries permitting|) afterwards, because the Chelsea connection will put him in the minds of recruiting clubs rather than a Bristol City connection.

Lets be fair, people get a stiffy over the fact we have produced Bobby and Joe who are now squad members in relegation threatened premier league teams. Chelsea produce the likes of Loftus Cheek and Hudson Odoi so association with such a production line, however tenuous won't hurt him.

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Is there much sell on potential  with him going to Chelsea though? 

Id put him in the 18, then see if he wants to stay in the summer if not sell him. 

Yes. Man City set to pocket 12m for a young player they signed 2 years ago from Cardiff and has not made an appearance for them. So say sold for 10m with 8m being profit and 25% that is another 2m. Seems peanuts but 4m for a player that we don’t know will make it(as an example). 

If this was Crystal Palace, Huddersfield or Cardiff I think we could resist. When Chelsea comes for a player they will want to move and can only see it being a problem if we are asking too much. Everyone would love to see Antoine make it here but realistically even if we extend his contract it will only be in the 5k range at best. Chelsea can offer 2-3x that for him and still have him playing elsewhere in the championship. 

The debate can be made whether Chelsea is a good choice or not for his football career. Don’t think we can debate the finances would make any of us go though. Think we just need to consider us lucky we found a 1-2m asset messing about at SGS. If he goes I wish him well. If he stays I hope he can make an impact. 

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Wouldn't he have gone by now if he was going?

It was only recently acknowledged we'd received a bid from Chelsea, who knows how far the deal has progressed? 

One to one negotiations may not even have started yet. 

But, if we are trying to get someone in return that would be an additional deal that would have to be agreed too. 

Still over two days in the transfer window so no need to rush the deal though 

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think so. If he was being recalled because we were selling him he would've gone. Normally that sort of thing is announced as one.

Medicals and paperwork perhaps? London press seemed to think he was going a day ago .

Also perhaps City is playing hardball on the terms of the deal - loanback, sell ons, player swaps , actual fee ?

If he goes it would be nice to see a profit turned on a relatively new recruit.

@BristolCity striker Antoine Semenyo will NOT leave the south-west club this January. @ChelseaFC will be expecting a transfer embargo which will see them become unable to sign players for youth teams. He will be in the matchday squad that faces @SwansOfficial on Saturday. #bcfc

from twitter not sure how true.

3 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

@BristolCity striker Antoine Semenyo will NOT leave the south-west club this January. @ChelseaFC will be expecting a transfer embargo which will see them become unable to sign players for youth teams. He will be in the matchday squad that faces @SwansOfficial on Saturday. #bcfc

Brest check with RR to see if twitter is regarded the same as the OS.

10 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Who tweeted this?

11 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

There were stories around yesterday of Chelsea being investigated for more than 100 of their transfers of young players, so may be a smidgeon of truth in it. But sounds more like people clutching at straws right now.

38 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Come on Anntoine stick around.......at Chelski you'll be just another reserve team cash investment...........stay with us and you could become a west country superstar. The question is, do you want to play football, or count your bank balance??  ?

He could do both at Chelsea couldn't he to be fair even if he played for other clubs.

Surefire massive hike in wages/lifestyle or a possibility he might make it at City.

45 minutes ago, Distortia said:

In other words, until it comes from a more reliable source, it's bollocks.

I asked “pbanksjourno” (a couple of weeks ago) who he was a journo for and he didn’t reply with an answer to that question.  He has a remarkable low number of followers and isn’t following many either, suggesting he isn’t really a journo.

Matchday squad for Saturday won’t have been named either yet.

Archived