IGNORED

Norwich away - (Merged)

BCFC1512

14 minutes ago, Jim_NCFC said:

Greetings. The away fans pub used to be the Compleat Angler which is directly opposite the station but that has now changed and it is home fans only. There isn't really an away fans pub now to be honest but you will be fine going in most pubs, certainly those away from the ground/station.

Two pubs which are the ground side of the station which i am sure will allow away fans in (unless you are being a ****) are the Coach and Horses and the Fat Cat and Canary. Both will have lots of home fans in but both allow well behaved away fans. The Coach is the closest to the station. You basically come out of the station and then turn right and walk 5 minutes up the hill and its on the left. Does decent beer, pre match food etc and I think they have an outside bar if the weather is good but does get very busy pre-match.

Other than that between the station and the ground you have the Riverside complex. This has a load of more modern bars, various chain restaurants and a big wetherspoons.  Think the usual fairly uninspiring generic "entertainment" type complex places. I think some of the pubs will be home fans only though but if you want food the restaurants should let you in.

For those staying up or who have time to explore a bit the one thing I would say is don;t judge the city on Prince of Wales Road. (which is the road running from the station to the City Centre). Norwich is a beautiful city, Prince of Wales Road has deteriorated and is a bit sh*t other than if you want to end up in  a cheesy bar/nightclub at 2am and maybe have a fight. My advice would be walk straight up it and keep going as once you get up to the Tombland area and beyond (St Benedicts, Norwich Lanes, London Street, around the castle and in the area around St Andrews Hall where the beer festival is etc) you will find much nicer pubs, bars, restaurants etc and there are also loads of good ones throughout the rest of the City Centre in which you should have no issues unless you go looking for them. I think Stadia (a sports bar in Tombland) has started trying to encourage away fans in since the other away fans shut. Its a bit dark but lost of big screens showing any lunchtime matches/the rugby etc

The beer festival is brilliant if you like your real ale or cider but will get extremely busy so if you plan to go I would get there early.

Anyway hope this helps. should be a cracking game and I don;t think any Norwich fans are arrogantly expecting us to roll you over although with the way we are playing we are also confident that we have the ability to win if we play well. It will be interesting to see how you approach it tactically as you recent away results suggest you have been grinding out the away wins by keeping it tight. We have tended to struggle most against teams who can effect a high press and/or teams who have fast runners who can exploit the gaps our fullbacks occasionally leave when they bomb forward. We are also still a bit suspect at defending set pieces. If you just sit off us and try to keep it tight though then i fancy our chances and we seem to create a lot of chances regardless of who we are playing and how we play. I don;t expect it to be 0-0! We do tend to score a fair few late goals though as teams who press us high do tire eventually. That said in most recent games (Preston aside) we seem to have started to come out of the blocks quickly. Huge game for both sides, especially with WBA and Shef U playing each other.

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Was just having a read of the away ground guides and the pub you mentioned that is now home fans only was highly recommended, will head to the coach and horses and fat cat though.

Cheers for that.

19 minutes ago, Jim_NCFC said:

Greetings. The away fans pub used to be the Compleat Angler which is directly opposite the station but that has now changed and it is home fans only. There isn't really an away fans pub now to be honest but you will be fine going in most pubs, certainly those away from the ground/station.

Two pubs which are the ground side of the station which i am sure will allow away fans in (unless you are being a ****) are the Coach and Horses and the Fat Cat and Canary. Both will have lots of home fans in but both allow well behaved away fans. The Coach is the closest to the station. You basically come out of the station and then turn right and walk 5 minutes up the hill and its on the left. Does decent beer, pre match food etc and I think they have an outside bar if the weather is good but does get very busy pre-match.

Other than that between the station and the ground you have the Riverside complex. This has a load of more modern bars, various chain restaurants and a big wetherspoons.  Think the usual fairly uninspiring generic "entertainment" type complex places. I think some of the pubs will be home fans only though but if you want food the restaurants should let you in.

For those staying up or who have time to explore a bit the one thing I would say is don;t judge the city on Prince of Wales Road. (which is the road running from the station to the City Centre). Norwich is a beautiful city, Prince of Wales Road has deteriorated and is a bit sh*t other than if you want to end up in  a cheesy bar/nightclub at 2am and maybe have a fight. My advice would be walk straight up it and keep going as once you get up to the Tombland area and beyond (St Benedicts, Norwich Lanes, London Street, around the castle and in the area around St Andrews Hall where the beer festival is etc) you will find much nicer pubs, bars, restaurants etc and there are also loads of good ones throughout the rest of the City Centre in which you should have no issues unless you go looking for them. I think Stadia (a sports bar in Tombland) has started trying to encourage away fans in since the other away fans shut. Its a bit dark but lost of big screens showing any lunchtime matches/the rugby etc

The beer festival is brilliant if you like your real ale or cider but will get extremely busy so if you plan to go I would get there early.

Anyway hope this helps. should be a cracking game and I don;t think any Norwich fans are arrogantly expecting us to roll you over although with the way we are playing we are also confident that we have the ability to win if we play well. It will be interesting to see how you approach it tactically as you recent away results suggest you have been grinding out the away wins by keeping it tight. We have tended to struggle most against teams who can effect a high press and/or teams who have fast runners who can exploit the gaps our fullbacks occasionally leave when they bomb forward. We are also still a bit suspect at defending set pieces. If you just sit off us and try to keep it tight though then i fancy our chances and we seem to create a lot of chances regardless of who we are playing and how we play. I don;t expect it to be 0-0! We do tend to score a fair few late goals though as teams who press us high do tire eventually. That said in most recent games (Preston aside) we seem to have started to come out of the blocks quickly. Huge game for both sides, especially with WBA and Shef U playing each other.

No danger of that. Our set pieces are mostly awful. Free kicks getting worse. I think we'll try to keep things tight and hit you on the break. Think we'll need to score twice to have any chance of victory. And we haven't done that much during our excellent run. We'd all be over the moon with a turgid 0-0 draw. Our defence is our best weapon. Webster (who's guaranteed a lovely reception...) and Kalas have been magnificent all season. 

5 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Was just having a read of the away ground guides and the pub you mentioned that is now home fans only was highly recommended, will head to the coach and horses and fat cat though.

Cheers for that.

It was away fans only for years and years and obviously as it is literally 200 yards from the station was very popular. New landlord got fed up with it being vandalised and also not having any midweek trade from locals as it was just thought of a football pubs for away fans so he switched it 2 years ago to home only. Suspect the away fans guides have not quite caught up!

53 minutes ago, Jim_NCFC said:

It was away fans only for years and years and obviously as it is literally 200 yards from the station was very popular. New landlord got fed up with it being vandalised and also not having any midweek trade from locals as it was just thought of a football pubs for away fans so he switched it 2 years ago to home only. Suspect the away fans guides have not quite caught up!

Do you have to show a ticket to get in? And also, vandalised by who exactly? Aren't many clubs that bring big followings to Norwich.

38 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Do you have to show a ticket to get in? And also, vandalised by who exactly? Aren't many clubs that bring big followings to Norwich.

We do get quite big away followings from London teams especially as usually (not at the moment due to the engineering works) its an easy trip from London and known as a good drinking away trip. We were obviously also in the prem for a while so teams used to bring 2,000 regularly.

But in answer to your questions Ipswich used to regularly damage it and I believe Leeds did as well plus some other team I can;t remember. The main reason though was the landlord just wanted to return it to being a pub used by Norwich people and they had got out of the habit of using it. And yes you usually have to show a ticket. Coach is a nicer pub though anyway.

Just visited the Norwich forum and they are very confident they will be too good for us. However, not sure their research is very good as someone has just commented this:

"Great form against the divisions lesser lights not so clever against better clubs. And away form much poorer than home form.  Still to play NCFC Sheff U PNE Boro Villa Hull away Derby and WBA at home.  Will do well to stay in Play Off position.  hope away form stays poor."

Don't we still have the best league form and especially away form in the league?

1 hour ago, Nathandao said:

Just visited the Norwich forum and they are very confident they will be too good for us. However, not sure their research is very good as someone has just commented this:

"Great form against the divisions lesser lights not so clever against better clubs. And away form much poorer than home form.  Still to play NCFC Sheff U PNE Boro Villa Hull away Derby and WBA at home.  Will do well to stay in Play Off position.  hope away form stays poor."

Don't we still have the best league form and especially away form in the league?

Yep, totally awful away form...

awayform.png

The Compleat Angler is a great pub, by the river and the bridge yards from the station, we played there a few years ago on a summer Tuesday night and it was bathed in sun beforehand, and very welcoming after too. Last season they had bouncers outside and no intention of letting football fans in, so sadly that's off limits. The Coach & Horses is very pleasant too, albeit a short walk the opposite side of the station to the ground. From memory last season a lot of City ended up in the Spoons on the Prince of Wales Road, surrounded by kebab shops and burger bars. If you like that sort of thing.

And if anyone wants food, I know this great place just off the A road outside Norwich, but little tip, take a 12 inch plate.

Tbh I much prefer it when opposition fans underestimate us, and let’s be fair, they’re right to do so. 13 games unbeaten in the Championship is nothing and I expect every team we’ve played just couldn’t be arsed. 

I hope our players enjoy their big day out on Saturday. Take it all in fellas and savour the occasion, we won’t see the likes of Norwich Utd again for many years.

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Tbh I much prefer it when opposition fans underestimate us, and let’s be fair, they’re right to do so. 13 games unbeaten in the Championship is nothing and I expect every team we’ve played just couldn’t be arsed. 

I hope our players enjoy their big day out on Saturday. Take it all in fellas and savour the occasion, we won’t see the likes of Norwich Utd again for many years.

I agree, we are just making up the numbers on saturday at the mighty metropolis that is Naarch.

It's a privilege to share the pitch with such a stellar side as them.

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Bristol City 12 8 4 0 17 7 +10 28
2 Sheffield Utd 12 7 3 2 24 10 +14 24
3 Hull City 12 7 3 2 26 14 +12 24
4 West Bromwich 12 7 3 2 23 12 +11 24
5 Leeds Utd 12 7 1 4 20 19 +1 22
6 Norwich City 12 5 5 2 27 18 +9 20
7 Preston 12 5 4 3 18 12 +6 19
8 Brentford 12 5 4 3 20 15 +5 19
9 Middlesbrough 12 5 4 3 14 11 +3 19
10 Swansea City 12 5 3 4 20 18 +2 18
11 Sheffield Wed 12 4 6 2 11 11 0 18
12 Derby County 12 4 5 3 13 13 0 17
13 Birmingham City 12 4 4 4 19 16 +3 16
14 Millwall 12 4 4 4 11 12 -1 16
15 Nottm Forest 12 3 4 5 14 16 -2 13
16 Blackburn 12 4 1 7 16 19 -3 13
17 Aston Villa 12 2 6 4 15 20 -5 12
18 QP Rangers 12 3 2 7 17 21 -4 11
19 Reading 12 2 5 5 8 15 -7 11
20 Stoke City 12 2 4 6 7 16 -9 10
21 Wigan Athletic 12 2 3 7 9 18 -9 9
22 Ipswich Town 12 2 3 7 8 19 -11 9
23 Rotherham 12 1 5 6 12 21 -9 8
24 Bolton 12 2 2 8 6 22 -16 8

5 hours ago, Olé said:

The Compleat Angler is a great pub, by the river and the bridge yards from the station, we played there a few years ago on a summer Tuesday night and it was bathed in sun beforehand, and very welcoming after too. Last season they had bouncers outside and no intention of letting football fans in, so sadly that's off limits. The Coach & Horses is very pleasant too, albeit a short walk the opposite side of the station to the ground. From memory last season a lot of City ended up in the Spoons on the Prince of Wales Road, surrounded by kebab shops and burger bars. If you like that sort of thing.

And if anyone wants food, I know this great place just off the A road outside Norwich, but little tip, take a 12 inch plate.

Do they sell ruby grapefruit juice?

14 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Is their local derby Doncaster United?

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:04, norwichrobin said:

For oldies an independent pub "the fat cat" is worth a look but no food or music, real ale place 

Not sure I consider myself too much an "oldie" but just had a couple of pints in the Fat Cat. Brilliant "proper" pub although a bit out of the way. Thanks for the recommendation.

9 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Get in the spoons on the water front 

Went in the Wetherspoons last season. Early for food then sat on the steps outside by the river drinking Thatchers in the sun. Lovely!  Got very busy. A lot of red shirts about but didn't seem to be any restrictions from door staff. My lad got bored so we went off to the kids 'football village' by the away end which was very good. ironically he won a Norwich scarf in the penalty target shoot out. Still got it bless him ?

Great Awayday. Going with the lad tomorrow but gonna try a few different pubs. 

Norwich is a lovely place, very friendly supporters. Gonna be a great atmosphere in the sun i'm sure with a sell out crowd so hope we can keep them quiet. 

Haven't read the whole thread, but I got to thinking about whether we should stick or twist if we find ourselves on level terms after 75 mins.  What would you do?  What will Lee do?

I've come to the conclusion that I would rather risk 1 point for the sake of 3.  If we take that view and succeed 50% of the time, then over 10 games we will earn 15 points rather than 10.

In fact, I think you are more likely to give a goal away if you defend for 15 minutes rather than attack.

4 hours ago, RedReynard said:

Went in the Wetherspoons last season. Early for food then sat on the steps outside by the river drinking Thatchers in the sun. Lovely!  Got very busy. A lot of red shirts about but didn't seem to be any restrictions from door staff. My lad got bored so we went off to the kids 'football village' by the away end which was very good. ironically he won a Norwich scarf in the penalty target shoot out. Still got it bless him ?

Great Awayday. Going with the lad tomorrow but gonna try a few different pubs. 

Norwich is a lovely place, very friendly supporters. Gonna be a great atmosphere in the sun i'm sure with a sell out crowd so hope we can keep them quiet. 

Has the pedestrianization of the shopping center been complected yet?  A-HA  !

Archived