IGNORED

Morrell & L-Evans - New Deals

Davefevs

Good news.

On Morrell though - it's a bit of a strange one. I'm glad he's signed a new deal as I like what I've seen. The lad is 22 now though, he is well beyond the time when you would ordinarily see a young player start to break through (I'm not saying it doesn't happen after that age, as there are probably numerous cases where it does) so surely it must be soon, or it won't happen. He's done well this season when required, and when given a chance in the cup. He's obviously rated by the club as he's been given a new deal, and he's obviously rated by the Welsh set-up as he has been a fixture for their U21 side (and done very well be all accounts) since late 2017. So when, if ever, will he get a proper chance? How do we accommodate him?

It's tough for Morrell as our selection of CMs is currently quite young. We have Smith and Pack, both in their prime at 27. Then we have Brownhill and Walsh who are of a similar age to Morrell but have vastly more experience in the case of Brownhill and come from a more illustrious background in Walsh.  Morrell I would say is currently our 5th choice CM when all are fit.  I guess the thinking may be that in two years time - when Morrell's new contract expires - you'll have a 24 year old academy man ready to come in and take over the midfield general mantle from the then 29 year old Pack/Smith.  This of course only works if you can keep an ambitious 22 year old happy. Personally I think this sort of succession planning is a good thing to see.  Hopefully it smooths out the transition from one generation of players to another.

Of course in football it can all be derailed by any number of moves, changes, or results.  He's obviously content with what the club are offering him over the next couple of years.

12 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Good news.

On Morrell though - it's a bit of a strange one. I'm glad he's signed a new deal as I like what I've seen. The lad is 22 now though, he is well beyond the time when you would ordinarily see a young player start to break through (I'm not saying it doesn't happen after that age, as there are probably numerous cases where it does) so surely it must be soon, or it won't happen. He's done well this season when required, and when given a chance in the cup. He's obviously rated by the club as he's been given a new deal, and he's obviously rated by the Welsh set-up as he has been a fixture for their U21 side (and done very well be all accounts) since late 2017. So when, if ever, will he get a proper chance? How do we accommodate him?

I am not sure that players think this way as much anymore. Players careers seem to be generally extending further into their 30's because of the improvements in the medical side, look at the players that are being bought on good contracts at 28, 29.30, also I think there aren't that many players who expect to be playing 40+ games a season, the squad mentality is kicking in. 

4 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Good news.

I suppose the question is at what point do those youngsters start being blooded into the first team and start proving themselves at this level.

Bakinson, Andrews, Lemoneigh-Evans, Semenyo along with Morrell need to start pushing for inclusion in the first team squad next season on a regular basis. We have seen how well Kelly has progressed and the club need to start seeing the benefit of developing these players and see if they have the ability to mix it with their peers at 1st team level

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

Wright, O'Dowda and Taylor new deals just announced too! All until June 2020.

Club exercised their option then. Think all 3 will be seeing what the rest of the season holds. In Wright’s case could depend on lots of things:

- minutes

- Kalas - do we try to add permanently

- Webster - will he still be here

- etc

20 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Nice work, well done, fellas.  So what do we know about Connor Evans?

Was a striker when we signed him as a youngster following a trial. 

The City analyst at the time told me that 10 minutes into his trial he flicked the ball over his and a defender's head then volleyed it in. They decided at HT to sign him.

Became a bit more of a 9 and a half/10 as he got older but now weirdly has been playing CM for Torquay. He even played CM for us against Watford in the FA cup last season. Think he'll end up being a cultured number 10 though. Good technique, nice passing and physical attributes. Not super speedy but not lacking there like Andrews.

Think out of the 4 at Torquay he'll have the best career.

29 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Was a striker when we signed him as a youngster following a trial. 

The City analyst at the time told me that 10 minutes into his trial he flicked the ball over his and a defender's head then volleyed it in. They decided at HT to sign him.

Became a bit more of a 9 and a half/10 as he got older but now weirdly has been playing CM for Torquay. He even played CM for us against Watford in the FA cup last season. Think he'll end up being a cultured number 10 though. Good technique, nice passing and physical attributes. Not super speedy but not lacking there like Andrews.

Think out of the 4 at Torquay he'll have the best career.

Janneh? Considering he hasn't come through the ranks like some of the others, he seems to be getting a lot of praise.

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Janneh? Considering he hasn't come through the ranks like some of the others, he seems to be getting a lot of praise.

Got an impressive record and is years younger than Evans, but Torquay are romping the league and I reckon he gets a fair amount of chances every game. Evans got much more to his game. 

We shall see. Maybe they’ll both be great!

Archived