IGNORED

Taylor, Bailey Wright and O Dowda re-sign

Antman

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

All three players signed their contracts and must have been quite aware of the clauses.

The club triggering those clauses is a compliment to the three players.

I can’t see what the criticism is all about.

Its a prudent move for all concerned.

It obvious!

There's very little else to criticise at present!

:innocent06:

Every one of those players would have been delighted with the extension option otherwise they wouldn't have been advised by their agents to sign up.

Whether any of them want away is irrelevant because they can still do that, although it will now cost a buyer more to secure their signature, or the player will get less for putting pen to paper.

In any event, is anyone aware of a queue of clubs waiting to snap any of these chaps ? Surely some murmurs in the press somewhere ?

Bailey might be bitter about playing out of position and then ultimately playing through injury costing him a probable world cup place, but would another top end Champ club sniff around at present ? Likewise Matty, who has just gotten over injury and is looking great off the bench but would surely be a hell of a punt for someone to offer up enough to persuade the club to part with him right now when we need him. Callum maybe different because possibly international exposure and mixing with the odd Prem player might turn his head, but if he's as good as many say, then the sort of club who might want him will have ti pay the going rate.

Well done City and good luck to all the three players who add value to our squad.

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Every one of those players would have been delighted with the extension option otherwise they wouldn't have been advised by their agents to sign up.

Whether any of them want away is irrelevant because they can still do that, although it will now cost a buyer more to secure their signature, or the player will get less for putting pen to paper.

In any event, is anyone aware of a queue of clubs waiting to snap any of these chaps ? Surely some murmurs in the press somewhere ?

Bailey might be bitter about playing out of position and then ultimately playing through injury costing him a probable world cup place, but would another top end Champ club sniff around at present ? Likewise Matty, who has just gotten over injury and is looking great off the bench but would surely be a hell of a punt for someone to offer up enough to persuade the club to part with him right now when we need him. Callum maybe different because possibly international exposure and mixing with the odd Prem player might turn his head, but if he's as good as many say, then the sort of club who might want him will have ti pay the going rate.

Well done City and good luck to all the three players who add value to our squad.

Just because they were happy with the option when they signed the original contract, doesn't mean they are happy now.

I can particularly imagine O'Dowda would rather be out of contract this summer and get a nice fat signing on fee from someone else. 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Just because they were happy with the option when they signed the original contract, doesn't mean they are happy now.

I can particularly imagine O'Dowda would rather be out of contract this summer and get a nice fat signing on fee from someone else. 

You could say that about any player at Championship or below.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Cuts both ways doesn't it. Engvall was shit but was happy to have the contract he signed whilst he moped about homesick or played back home with the club paying the bulk of his wages. Any one of those players could have a career ending injury in training on Monday and they would be happy for the extension.

As for COD we have no idea what the issue is do we, and a fat signing on fee from someone else shouldn't interest any City fan.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You could say that about any player at Championship or below.

Disagree.  There are some players who wont want their contract to run out as they don't know if they will get another one.  Particularly in league one and two.

I specified O'Dowda for obvious reasons.  Interest from bigger clubs than us, more money undoubtedly on offer and if the extension hadn't been put in he could probably stand to make £500k-£1m this summer personally. 

3 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

As for COD we have no idea what the issue is do we, and a fat signing on fee from someone else shouldn't interest any City fan.

I don't understand what you mean by this.  I think it is safe to assume that O'Dowda is hankering for a move and thus, would prefer to not have extended his deal due to the increased signing on fee he would receive if he was a free agent.  

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Disagree.  There are some players who wont want their contract to run out as they don't know if they will get another one.  Particularly in league one and two.

I specified O'Dowda for obvious reasons.  Interest from bigger clubs than us, more money undoubtedly on offer and if the extension hadn't been put in he could probably stand to make £500k-£1m this summer personally. 

Exactly, all three will have varying views NOW of whether they signed the right deal THEN.

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I don't understand what you mean by this.  I think it is safe to assume that O'Dowda is hankering for a move and thus, would prefer to not have extended his deal due to the increased signing on fee he would receive if he was a free agent.  

What I mean is that Callum missing out on a fat signing on fee shouldn't be of any concern to a City fan. What he may or may not be hankering for doesn't matter because he and the club are tied into a contract they both freely signed up to. City is a selling club if the price is right, so he will get his wishes, if a club meets City's valuation.

3 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

What I mean is that Callum missing out on a fat signing on fee shouldn't be of any concern to a City fan. What he may or may not be hankering for doesn't matter because he and the club are tied into a contract they both freely signed up to. City is a selling club if the price is right, so he will get his wishes, if a club meets City's valuation.

I didn't say  I was concerned by it.  

And I was making the point that O'Dowda might now wish he hadn't agreed to that extension.  Hope that's okay to point that out

35 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Then why did he sign a contract with an extension clause ?  Was happy enough at the time of signing.

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

And I was making the point that O'Dowda might now wish he hadn't agreed to that extension.  Hope that's okay to point that out

We live by our mistakes

14 hours ago, HanwellRed said:

....and if the club DIDN't negotiate contracts with clauses like this, and if they DIDN'T activate these clauses, there would be hell to pay on here wouldn't there ? Smart move all round by the club as far as I can see it.

Yep, especially when they trot off on a free!! 

Damned if they do, damned if they don't are City. The other interesting point here is the whole 'the club did it without the players consent'. People moan about 'player power' yet when the club shows who's in charge it's a negative........!! 

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Then why did he sign a contract with an extension clause ?  Was happy enough at the time of signing.

Playing devil’s advocate - so we’re City happy.

Both Callum and City have realised that ultimately the deal they both originally agreed to is out of date, but they cannot agree on new terms. Both parties have been pushing the deal from their respective angles.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Playing devil’s advocate - so we’re City happy.

Both Callum and City have realised that ultimately the deal they both originally agreed to is out of date, but they cannot agree on new terms. Both parties have been pushing the deal from their respective angles.

And the club triggered the extension clause to protect our interests is my betting. Nothing wrong with that especially if it means we might get a few more quid should he leave.

4 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I clicked on this thread expecting this to be hailed as good news - three players who all have something to offer us and would cost us to replace. 

Instead OTIB turns it into a negative.

Imagine my surprise.

But there are potential negatives to it...a lot are just pointing out the reality of what has happened, and correcting some people who thought the said players had signed new contracts (they haven’t).

In O’Dowda’s case we (City) want to keep a player like this at our club, but have not been able to agree a new deal, increasing the risk that another club could try to buy him for a lower fee than we’d ideally want to accept, because they can turn his head with wages / signing fee based on the deal he’s on here, rather than the one we want to put him on.

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Who cares about what COD might or might not have wished, players come and go, but the fans remain.You said "Interest from bigger clubs than us, more money undoubtedly on offer and if the extension hadn't been put in he could probably stand to make £500k-£1m this summer personally." I doubt that the vast majority of City fans are going lose sleep over a lost windfall for a footballer who possibly wants to leave us - even though you made all of those numbers up of course, and I really do understand what you are getting at, I just don't understand why you continue to labour the point.

Hope that's ok to point out too.

The club has dropped too many bollocks in the past over contracts so its good to see that they are handling matters properly. I am sure if COD wants to move on to a better deal, then the club will sell him with the benefit of the longer contract he is tied into.

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I am missing something with Callum O Dowda? 

I'd cash in if we can and reinvest. I think he's shite but he seems to have a high standing on here. Confused. 

That’s a question for Spudski.

I could post what my view on what he brings is but would get laughed at by ‘scout’ BobbobSuperBob ......... :sleeping:   or asked to justify my view by Cowshed.

24 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Who cares about what COD might or might not have wished, players come and go, but the fans remain.You said "Interest from bigger clubs than us, more money undoubtedly on offer and if the extension hadn't been put in he could probably stand to make £500k-£1m this summer personally." I doubt that the vast majority of City fans are going lose sleep over a lost windfall for a footballer who possibly wants to leave us - even though you made all of those numbers up of course, and I really do understand what you are getting at, I just don't understand why you continue to labour the point.

Hope that's ok to point out too.

The club has dropped too many bollocks in the past over contracts so its good to see that they are handling matters properly. I am sure if COD wants to move on to a better deal, then the club will sell him with the benefit of the longer contract he is tied into.

Someone is grumpy

Forum police is full effect

I will DM you what I am allowed to post about from now on 

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Someone is grumpy

Forum police is full effect

I will DM you what I am allowed to post about from now on 

Loon isn’t criticising you, he’s simply asking why you labour a rather tired point?

And you call him grumpy.........:rofl2br:

Archived