IGNORED

Steve Lansdown to speak on BBC Points west

Never to the dark side

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The dullest "sport" in the world wants to pull up the ladder and make it even duller?

I hope all of the ******* go bust.

Why is sport put in speech marks. It’s one of the most physically demanding sports, and you’re just showing how thick you are if you think otherwise. 

2 hours ago, dave36 said:

Could not give a monkeys about rugby, the rules are stupid and when I had to play at school I flat refused to put my head close to another boys bum so the scrum was a no no!

So SL tells the world he wants to create an elite which includes bristol rugby in their promotion year and he wants Leeds to get a points deduction!  Is it just me or am I alone in thinking  Mark Ashton is being put right on the spot, where should is his loyalty be?  Not one of SL’s best days! Bloody embarrassing!

looking at the decoration inside the concourses I wonder where the priorities actually are and which game SL sees as the best long term investment, we do have a great stadium - thanks Steve-  which I presume will be further developed soon with the Atteo replaced, probably two tiered and more than double the current capacity. 

The rules of rugby are quite complicated in detail but in the generality, if it looks wrong it probably is.

i really don't get the hostility to Bristol Rugby by Bristol City supporters, SL bought both impoverished businesses, wrote off the debts, created a property company and both play at it.

In terms of priority, I think if he could create a world class football club he would but the financial stress is probably beyond even him and to be totally honest he has a fighting chance of doing it in the rugby world with Bristol at a fraction of the cost so he'll give that a go.

Bristol City is currently punching above its historical weight and I'm happy SL will support its organic growth and provide the stability it needs, including investment necessary for a push towards establishing a premiership presence. Bristol Rugby on the other hand can attract the cream of world rugby talent and is rightly seen as a sleeping giant and he'll pump money into it at a fraction of the cost of maintaining a Championship presence and possibly create something quite immense.

4 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

The rules of rugby are quite complicated in detail but in the generality, if it looks wrong it probably is.

i really don't get the hostility to Bristol Rugby by Bristol City supporters, SL bought both impoverished businesses, wrote off the debts, created a property company and both play at it.

In terms of priority, I think if he could create a world class football club he would but the financial stress is probably beyond even him and to be totally honest he has a fighting chance of doing it in the rugby world with Bristol at a fraction of the cost so he'll give that a go.

Bristol City is currently punching above its historical weight and I'm happy SL will support its organic growth and provide the stability it needs, including investment necessary for a push towards establishing a premiership presence. Bristol Rugby on the other hand can attract the cream of world rugby talent and is rightly seen as a sleeping giant and he'll pump money into it at a fraction of the cost of maintaining a Championship presence and possibly create something quite immense.

What a crock of shit, Bristol City's average position throughout its history is in the second tier, so tell me how are we punching above our weight?

Some of the Emperors new clothes have just fallen off it seems.

Maybe he's not the messiah most think, just a naughty (and very greedy) boy.

Altruistic my arse - blokes in for as many £££ as he can get out of all 3 codes plus housing.

Fair play - his money - but frick the St Stephen crap - he's just out to make moolah!

And if that involves selling City et all to Big Fat Hank from Houston, Alexis Killemoff from Moscow or Li Ne Mypockets from Shanghai - then thats what he will do.

First time he has been so naked with his greed though - woke a few of you up apparently.

7 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Altruistic my arse - blokes in for as many £££ as he can get out of all 3 codes plus housing.

Fair play - his money - but frick the St Stephen crap - he's just out to make moolah!

And if that involves selling City et all to Big Fat Hank from Houston, Alexis Killemoff from Moscow or Li Ne Mypockets from Shanghai - then thats what he will do.

First time he has been so naked with his greed though - woke a few of you up apparently.

Cider or something more exotic?

6 hours ago, SX227 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but: hasn't he already made the "moolah"? With his business with the lad Hargreaves?

If moolah was his only interest, then wouldn't he have been better off sticking to the finance, rather than buying a failing and debt-ridden football club in an antiquated ground?

Or am I hopelessly naive?

58 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but: hasn't he already made the "moolah"? With his business with the lad Hargreaves?

If moolah was his only interest, then wouldn't he have been better off sticking to the finance, rather than buying a failing and debt-ridden football club in an antiquated ground?

I think you are

SL was asked to join the club and became Finance Director, he was a board member initially and over time increased his investment., becoming first chairman and then majority shareholder, He didn't "buy" the club and when he joined we had very little debt (less than £2M) and - for the time - the ground was on a par with most middle division clubs.  Football has moved on since then and he's provided the investment to enable us to keep pace. We now have a lot of debt and lose substantial money each season (like most clubs) but he has guaranteed the losses and holds most of the debt as equity or loans.

He's a good owner for sure but the notion that he rode in on a white horse and rescued a club crippled by debt is wrong

11 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I’m sure the American’s felt the same about NFL but people are seeing how successful it has been abroad.

It’s massive - sells Wembley out in no time.

I flew from Germany to the UK the day before a game and it was virtually full of Germans in NFL kits coming to London.

They want a piece of that pie.

How did they all fit in, with those shoulders pads and helmets?

18 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

No. No. No. Steve is presenting the long-term weather forecast.

Outlook for May, a huge red and white storm heading East, with the epicentre in Wembley. Heavy outbreaks of cider to follow a torrent of Fammy. Verdict, promotionsanscumulus.

Just need a torrent of fanny for the perfect day.

9 hours ago, lenred said:

SL talking like we (Bristol Rugby) have been a mainstay in the Premiership for years, not just newly promoted.  Sorry to say it but that’s just embarrassing.  Have a word with yourself Steve! 

I guess that Steve’s comments regarding ringfencing just echo the reality that, since CVC bought a minority stake in the Prem, it’s a faît accompli that it will happen; it’s just a matter of the fine detail being ironed out regarding possible expansion to 13 or 14 clubs and how any future access to the premiership from the championship is handled in terms winning that league and of course from financial and infrastructure perspectives. And obviously what happens to the relegated team! As a pro sport, Rugby is light years behind Football in its set up. 

Bristol are new to the Prem this year (again!) so I really wish it wasn’t SL espousing this approach but hey ho it’s just what everyone is thinking. It. Will. Happen. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I guess that Steve’s comments regarding ringfencing just echo the reality that, since CVC bought a minority stake in the Prem, it’s a faît accompli that it will happen; it’s just a matter of the fine detail being ironed out regarding possible expansion to 13 or 14 clubs and how any future access to the premiership from the championship is handled in terms winning that league and of course from financial and infrastructure perspectives. And obviously what happens to the relegated team! As a pro sport, Rugby is light years behind Football in its set up. 

Bristol are new to the Prem this year (again!) so I really wish it wasn’t SL espousing this approach but hey ho it’s just what everyone is thinking. It. Will. Happen. 

Fait accompli or not he shouldn’t be pushing for it and especially not in public, particularly given we've just come up. It’s embarrassing on our behalf and disrespectful to other clubs who harbour ambitions to improve and it completely smacks of an ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude. And I’d also strongly disagree that it’s what everyone is thinking. Maybe some/most of the suits are, purely for financial reasons of course, but no fan that I know of supports it.   This and the Leeds comments are not called for at all by SL and he’s managed to embarrass both clubs.  All IMHO of course. 

Ps appreciate they you don’t necessarily agree with it either! 

26 minutes ago, lenred said:

Fait accompli or not he shouldn’t be pushing for it and especially not in public, particularly given we've just come up. It’s embarrassing on our behalf and disrespectful to other clubs who harbour ambitions to improve and it completely smacks of an ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude. And I’d also strongly disagree that it’s what everyone is thinking. Maybe some/most of the suits are, purely for financial reasons of course, but no fan that I know of supports it.   This and the Leeds comments are not called for at all by SL and he’s managed to embarrass both clubs.  All IMHO of course. 

Ps appreciate they you don’t necessarily agree with it either! 

I meant that it was what all the Prem chairmen/owners are thinking really. There’s lots of arguments for & against on the Bris forum but most seem to accept it will happen one day. If the Exeter or Glos owners had come out and said it there’d probably be less of an issue but I think SL was - again - a touch naive with his comments. 

14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I meant that it was what all the Prem chairmen/owners are thinking really. There’s lots of arguments for & against on the Bris forum but most seem to accept it will happen one day. If the Exeter or Glos owners had come out and said it there’d probably be less of an issue but I think SL was - again - a touch naive with his comments. 

Spot on.  He's only thinking what the others are thinking.  If one of the more established teams go down this year then ringfencing will be in like a shot..

21 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Exeter and Glaws are established Prem teams so although I would still massively disagree with them if /when they come out and say it, they wouldn’t have come up just over 6 months ago and then said ‘righto, we’re finally back up now so let’s pull up the drawbridge’.  Agree that it’s inevitable btw, it’s been mooted for years, I just find it a really sad state of affairs. 

16 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

You realise if they try it, it could end up in the courts? No guarantee of success for ring-fencing either.

See a case from 2012 means that it's by no means guaranteed that it wouldn't fall foul of competition law- they had to modify minimum entry criteria off the back of it.

Premiership Rugby said it was confident that its new criteria would withstand any legal challenge.

The move comes after London Welsh successfully challenged the ruling that denied the club promotion because they did not hold primacy of tenure for their nominated stadium — Oxford United’s Kassam Stadium.

An independent appeal panel ruled in July that the rules “infringed UK and EU competition law” and were therefore void. Its decision was influenced by the fact that clubs such as London Irish, Saracens and Wasps did not enjoy primacy of tenure.

A Premiership Rugby spokesman said that at a recent meeting of the Professional Game Board, it was agreed to increase from next season the number of clubs who did not require primacy of tenure in the Aviva Premiership from three named clubs to five unnamed ones.

Four Premiership clubs, London Welsh, London Irish, Wasps and Saracens, do not have primacy of tenure, though Saracens will assume it when they move to their new stadium at Allianz Park in February.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You realise if they try it, it could end up in the courts? No guarantee of success for ring-fencing either.

See a case from 2012 means that it's by no means guaranteed that it wouldn't fall foul of competition law- they had to modify minimum entry criteria off the back of it.

Primacy of tenure won’t be a criteria then, as Bris don’t have it! I think I’m right in saying that all other top rugby leagues are ringfenced? It’ll happen, irrespective. And if there is still some form of access to the Prem allowed every x years or whatever subject to certain criteria that will probably suffice in terms of any “closed shop” argument. 

It’s going to happen. 

On 19/01/2019 at 06:46, Moments of Pleasure said:

If money wasn't his primary motivator he should have bust a gut to keep Reid, Flint and Bryan and given us a better shot at promotion. The £15+ million profit he made was too good for his fat fingers to refuse. 

Archived