IGNORED

Steve Lansdown to speak on BBC Points west

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

If money wasn't his primary motivator he should have bust a gut to keep Reid, Flint and Bryan and given us a better shot at promotion. The £15+ million profit he made was too good for his fat fingers to refuse. 

Seriously ?

The £100m + he's spent on the ground and debts and he sells 3 players because he wants the £15m ? Nothing to do with 2 players having the chance to play in the Prem , and another looking at his (probably) last big payday move ? 
He want's the club to be self sufficient , and that may mean selling players sometimes. As a matter of interest, how high would you have gone with Reids wages ? A player considered by many , not to be good enough for a regular start the year before. A player who had one stellar season in front of goal, but no guarantee of another similar year and who teams offered millions for ? 
If he was driven solely by money , there is no way he would have anything to do with Football , or any local sports. 

9 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Primacy of tenure won’t be a criteria then, as Bris don’t have it! I think I’m right in saying that all other top rugby leagues are ringfenced? It’ll happen, irrespective. And if there is still some form of access to the Prem allowed every x years or whatever subject to certain criteria that will probably suffice in terms of any “closed shop” argument. 

It’s going to happen. 

My wider point here is that they had to modify that because it fell foul of competition law- hence similar may apply here. The two cases are very different yet have one factor in common.

UK competition law may hinder it- we shall see, for the Courts to decide probably. UK competition law isn't applicable elsewhere, to other jurisdictions.

You can bet that Ealing for a start, Nottingham as they have stated, possibly Bedford, if they get their act together Yorkshire will fight hard on this one. Cornish Pasties  Pirates are another ambitious club, maybe moving to a new ground and I think read somewhere Jersey possibly- I reckon they'll take it to the lawyers if necessary.

@harvey54 Agree it would have been ideal to keep them, but FFP and associated issues made it a bit of a non-starter, plus throw in their ambitions and the fact Bryan and Reid had just a year each left on their deal. It was a perfect storm and couldn't see scope to turn it down.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

UK competition law may hinder it- we shall see, for the Courts to decide probably.

You can bet that Ealing for a start, Nottingham as they have stated, possibly Bedford, if they get their act together Yorkshire will fight hard on this one. Cornish Pasties  Pirates are another ambitious club, maybe moving to a new ground and I think read somewhere Jersey possibly- I reckon they'll take it to the lawyers if necessary.

@harvey54 Agree it would have been ideal to keep them, but FFP and associated issues made it a bit of a non-starter, plus throw in their ambitions and the fact Bryan and Reid had just a year each left on their deal. It was a perfect storm and couldn't see scope to turn it down.

Fair comment mate 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My wider point here is that they had to modify that because it fell foul of competition law- hence similar may apply here. The two cases are very different yet have one factor in common.

UK competition law may hinder it- we shall see, for the Courts to decide probably. UK competition law isn't applicable elsewhere, to other jurisdictions.

Since I can't go back and edit, @CyderInACan

]DxWHLr4XgAASyEh.jpg:large

http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2019/01/13/ring-fencing-competition-law/

By no means cut and dry that it would be allowed to happen legally.

On 18/01/2019 at 18:46, Moments of Pleasure said:

But, it's "Ealing Trailfinders" being shut out in rugby, or Bedford or Jersey, whereas Bolton were hoping to shut out football clubs with decades of tradition, and tens, hundreds, of thousands of supporters.

As long as Steve steers clear of any football meddling/gerrymandering, he can do what he likes amongst the rotten egg chasers, afaic. 

How arrogant is your reply?! Bedford RUFC was formed in 1886....and Jersey RFC was founded in 1879...yet you just automatically assume only football clubs have ‘decades of tradition’....

On 19/01/2019 at 08:35, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Just need a torrent of fanny for the perfect day.

fanny.jpg.0e7b92e713288684eace3767c315dd65.jpg

Jonnie was used to that!

13 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Seriously ?

The £100m + he's spent on the ground and debts and he sells 3 players because he wants the £15m ? Nothing to do with 2 players having the chance to play in the Prem , and another looking at his (probably) last big payday move ? 
He want's the club to be self sufficient , and that may mean selling players sometimes. As a matter of interest, how high would you have gone with Reids wages ? A player considered by many , not to be good enough for a regular start the year before. A player who had one stellar season in front of goal, but no guarantee of another similar year and who teams offered millions for ? 
If he was driven solely by money , there is no way he would have anything to do with Football , or any local sports. 

What's the old saying?

If you want to make a small fortune from owing a football club best start with a big one.

Archived